• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy could have blown up the hellmouth

AngelBuffy

Townie
season 7 end battle, about 20-30 newly activated slayers were being forced to fight thousand of übervamps when they have used bombs and rocket lunchers in the past. buffy knew what was in the hellmouth when she had the vision thanks to the shadow men.

sunnydale was all cleared out so I don't see how they could not have gotten bombs and rocket launchers. which are more effective than stakes, bows and woods. the uber vampires were in a pit, they could have easily dropped bombs on them in the pit and used rocket lurchers for the vamps trying to escape.

ordinary humans like xander, dawn, wood, anya and Giles fighting and killing the uber vampires with swords and not rocket launchers was unrealistic when the urber vampires are meant to be stronger than some slayers.

there was about a 1000 uber vampires in that pit. usually buffy has ran away from fights when faced with more than 10 vampires because she could not take them all. in the end of season 6 , dark willow unleashes demons warriors on her and dawn. buffy hands dawn a sword, telling dawn she would not be able to stop all of them and they were about 10-15 demon warriors.

so why would buffy take 20-30 new slayers to fight a 1000 uber vamps? this were not even the ordinary vampires like spike or harmony. Infact, 1000 ordinary vampires is still way too much for 20-30 slayers to fight and win talk less of the uber vamps,

Just some of the problems and the writing of season 7.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
it's called bad writing. Alas was lots of that in S7
W

WillowFromBuffy

Hmm! I wonder why every war is not fought by giving every soldier bombs and rocket launchers. Rocket launcher are both the most practical and safest weapons to use, aren't they?

I guess the rocket launcher could have helped, but after the first shot, the vampires would scatter, and then it would become a lot less useful. It is hardly the best weapon for hitting a moving target.

I don't know how much ammunition Xander originally stole, but I am pretty sure the army would not abandon a large supply of rocket launchers if they pulled out of Sunnydale.

Btvs fan

Scooby
My issue was more why she didn't power up the Slayers before she went down into the Hellmouth. Yes I know Joss wanted his "They are so dust" moment but in universe it was a hell of a risk on Buffys part with those Girls lives

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
They managed to steal supplies from a supermarket and a hospital. Why not grab a fuel truck, stick the nozzle in the open Seal of Danthalzar, turn on the valve and throw in a match? The army may have taken all their weapons but it is likely a fuel truck would be left behind. Going into the cavern before turning the potentials into slayers seems to be a stupid move - transition them first, then go in ready to fight.

W

WillowFromBuffy

They managed to steal supplies from a supermarket and a hospital. Why not grab a fuel truck, stick the nozzle in the open Seal of Danthalzar, turn on the valve and throw in a match? The army may have taken all their weapons but it is likely a fuel truck would be left behind. Going into the cavern before turning the potentials into slayers seems to be a stupid move - transition them first, then go in ready to fight.
I guess the vampires would just stay behind until the truck and its fuel had burned up. But how do you get the truck into the basement? And would you not need something better than a match to light this thing, unless you are planning to burn up yourself or suffocate on the fumes?

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Going into the cavern before turning the potentials into slayers seems to be a stupid move
If they tried the spell before going into battle and it didn't work, how many would still go? They would be disheartened knowing they had no chance. Holding out the hope that they could turn into a slayer gave them reason to fight. And if the spell didn't work in the midst of battle at least there were other bodies there for the vamps to focus on rather than just Buffy.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I guess the vampires would just stay behind until the truck and its fuel had burned up. But how do you get the truck into the basement? And would you not need something better than a match to light this thing, unless you are planning to burn up yourself or suffocate on the fumes?
You don't need to get the truck into the basement. Fuel hoses can be quite long and you might be able to join several together. Maybe a match would not be suitable but you could throw in a candle or something like that. There was no indication of a safe place in the cavern to avoid fire, so all the Turok Han would be affected. You could ventilate the cavern afterwards and go in at your leisure to pick off any remaining ones.

W

WillowFromBuffy

You don't need to get the truck into the basement. Fuel hoses can be quite long and you might be able to join several together. Maybe a match would not be suitable but you could throw in a candle or something like that. There was no indication of a safe place in the cavern to avoid fire, so all the Turok Han would be affected. You could ventilate the cavern afterwards and go in at your leisure to pick off any remaining ones.
So, you're going to drag the extended hose down into the seal and hose down the entire area, which you would have to do, because vampires don't breathe and rock don't burn. Hopefully, you're able to do this before the vampires have time to attack you, which would be a challenge, considering that the cave room is pretty vast. Now, either we have to assume that the vampires have been standing shoulder to shoulder since the dawn of time, or there is indeed plenty of space to retreat back into. And once the entire area is drenched, you throw in a candle and run back through the emerging smoke, chased by the vampires who managed to catch up with you.

I wouldn't call it an elegant plan.

white avenger

white avenger
Hmm! I wonder why every war is not fought by giving every soldier bombs and rocket launchers. Rocket launcher are both the most practical and safest weapons to use, aren't they?
Mainly because actual wars aren't about killing, they are about conquest. If you destroy everything and everyone, you haven't actually won anything tangible.

My issue was more why she didn't power up the Slayers before she went down into the Hellmouth.
If Buffy powered up the Potentials too soon, it wouldn't have been a surprise. The Bringers and the Turak Han would have been prepared, and simply overwhelmed Buffy's small force, regardless of how powerful her individual fighters might have been.
Why not grab a fuel truck, stick the nozzle in the open Seal of Danthalzar, turn on the valve and throw in a match?
Or use explosives, which Xander should have been able to obtain from his construction job, or better arm her fighters. Sunnydale's hardware shops must ahve carried axes, hatchets, machetes, and other kinds of cutlery that would have worked better than the sharp pointed sticks that a lit of the girls were using. And, lest we forget, the Bringers would have been susceptible to plain old gunfire. No need for Giles, Wood, and the others to have to depend on swords.

Obviously, Joss was more concerned with dramatic effect than tactical efficiency.

Top Bottom