• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy is a terrible waitress

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I have Anne on tonight, and cant help noticing what a grumpy waitress Buffy is.

Is it because that job is more of an act for her than the job of being the Slayer? She seems to enjoy the slayer gig far more.

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
It's probably because she's depressed and lonely. Sure, she has isolated herself from her friends by choice, but she was kind of kicked out by her mom so she's without parents for the first time, probably feeling very much abandoned.
Not to mention guilt over Angel...

She didn't have a lot to smile about privately, so I guess she carried that with her to the office so to speak?
:)

Agree with @Taake, Buffy is having a rough time. But I'd also say those customers are horrible. Doesn't one guy slay her arse? The Slayer would have turned around and broken his arm! That cafe was in a bad part of town, there were a lot of drifters in there, with no money and therefore no tips . . . Buffy picked the worst place to work as an attempt to punish herself further for her perceived misdeeds :(

Black Thorn
Buffy picked the worst place to work as an attempt to punish herself further for her perceived misdeeds :(
She was probably extremely limited in where she could work. It's not as though she could apply for a 'normal' job.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
If you think Buffy is a terrible waitress, you should see me working at the air port check in counter.

Seriously, though, I try to be as nice as I can for waitering staff, because I assume it must be a stressful job. Working with customers is not easy. People are such scum.

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
Spanky
Spanky
hahah! I didn't even see it. Well, someone was talking earlier about Buffy getting anal sex in the balcony scene with Spike, so...
P
Priceless
Lol yeah just saw it . . . :-))
Amber Bunny Slippers
Amber Bunny Slippers
Oh God...oh God. Buffy didn't get...meh, nevermind. *trots away*

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
Yes, from what we saw Buffy was a bad waitress. She was clearly not happy about her life situation and that showed in her work. I’m sure if Buffy wanted to be a better waitress she could have been, but she didn’t have any desire to be.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
A lot of waitresses aren't very good. That diner also clearly wasn't very high quality considering the customers and the location. Plus I feel like we first saw her on one of her bad days; she saw someone she recognized and got assaulted by a trucker...

Amber Bunny Slippers

Power in the ecstasy of death
Black Thorn
I have Anne on tonight, and cant help noticing what a grumpy waitress Buffy is.

Is it because that job is more of an act for her than the job of being the Slayer? She seems to enjoy the slayer gig far more.
Being a waitress is one of the WORST jobs on the planet. I've done it...at three places. It totally sucks, I assure you.

The Slayer job is probably LESS stressful than being a waitress.

No high school diploma or GED, no driver's license, and in hiding. Buffy was lucky as hell to get that legal job (and I bet it wasn't entirely legal in how they handled pay) as well as get an apartment which typically demands deposit, and even if it was technically a motel then it still requires ID and legal signatures (which can be traced by say the Watchers Council). Of course there are illegal ways around all that, which could've been done by Buffy or offered by those who gave her a job and place to live, but it wasn't shown. Not that I'd expect the writers to know that.

ETA: and let's not forget the paychecks, Anne, unless she was paid in cash under the table like an illegal alien.

Spanky
Spanky
I never thought it was a legal job. Otherwise the Watcher's Council and Mr. Giles are totally inept.

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
She didn't have a lot to smile about privately, so I guess she carried that with her to the office so to speak?
:)
Yeah I get that Buffy was sad, but take your home problems or depression to any job and it ends in no job. It did not seem to matter to her if she was tipped, she could not have put any less effort into it. What a boring way to live your days, and she showed it in her face. She was back to herself as soon as her Slayer job kicked in. Does she do a better job of being the slayer because it was true to who she was? Anne was a (bad) act.

Being a waitress is one of the WORST jobs on the planet. I've done it...at three places. It totally sucks, I assure you.

The Slayer job is probably LESS stressful than being a waitress.
Overdramatic much :p Waitressing isnt that bad. We dont see her there for long, but with that attitude she would have lost her job here. Is it just Aust that gets the "come to work smiling/happy/ready/positive" line? Someone mentioned it was a poor diner -cash work, that would explain to me why they didnt disipline her, if they were that desperate for a worker that even a cranky one would do. And how easily they accepted her replacement without an interview.

It kinda makes me see Buffy as a bit brat like. I dont want to be here so I'll put on my miserable face.

Amber Bunny Slippers
Amber Bunny Slippers
Haha. *Not* over dramatic, my love. Try waitressing in Phoenix, Arizona. You'll end up wanting to slay EVERYONE. :P

Amber Bunny Slippers

Black Thorn
No high school diploma or GED, no driver's license, and in hiding. Buffy was lucky as hell to get that legal job (and I bet it wasn't entirely legal in how they handled pay) as well as get an apartment which typically demands deposit, and even if it was technically a motel then it still requires ID and legal signatures (which can be traced by say the Watchers Council). Of course there are illegal ways around all that, which could've been done by Buffy or offered by those who gave her a job and place to live, but it wasn't shown. Not that I'd expect the writers to know that.

ETA: and let's not forget the paychecks, Anne, unless she was paid in cash under the table like an illegal alien.
Buffy was definitely paid under the table, in cash. Many of those mom & pop, hole-in-the-wall dives will hire a waitress without proper identification, especially if they really need employees now. And believe me, that job has such a high turnover rate, they always needs girls.

Also, they don't want to report the employees' earnings to the government; that way, they don't have to pay taxes. Either way, it's a crap job; that scene where the dude slapped Buffy on the bottom was NOT some fictional flight of fancy. It happened to a lot of girls. (Yes, including myself...but that's another story!)

Don't even get me started on waitressing at a truck stop. If a girl looks half-way decent and has a pulse, she's usually hired on the spot. However, I shall leave out the lurid details, what with this being a family-oriented site. :p

Last edited:
Spanky
Spanky
lot lizards!

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Also, they don't want to report the employees' earnings to the government; that way, they don't have to pay taxes. Either way, it's a crap job; that scene where the dude slapped Buffy on the bottom was NOT some fictional flight of fancy. It happened to a lot of girls. (Yes, including myself...but that's another story!)

Don't even get me started on waitressing at a truck stop. If a girl looks half-way decent and has a pulse, she's usually hired on the spot. However, I shall leave out the lurid details, what with this being a family-oriented site. :p
It would make more sense being a cashy job, she got a pretty decent living space out of the wage, was she working many hours or was base rate enough for rent? If the job provided a roof for her - why did she do it with such disdain? She obviously didnt care about losing it - maybe because she knew she could get hired elsewhere with the rate of turnover? It must be nice to know there is always a wage available.

The slap on the bum is SO common, and one thing I am totally confused about. It was the one part she handled as she should of in that line of work. This was so common in previous work (as well as other manly intrusions) but now days, if we listen to the internet you could sue for sexual harassment, claim trauma and be interviewed by the media for a 4 days whirlwind of exposure. I felt the bum slap was the one part that truly showed the reality of the world.

Sineya
I can't help but compare the comfortable apartment for Anne (Buffy) to the original apartment for Cordelia with its one bare light bulb and peeling walls. Maybe Buffy should have had a ghost as a roommate. Employment of illegals is common enough in California that the owner of the diner would have known how to handle all the dealings under the table.

As for Buffy's performance as a waitress, it was pretty bad. As for getting her butt slapped, that was pretty normal.

Amber Bunny Slippers

Black Thorn
It would make more sense being a cashy job, she got a pretty decent living space out of the wage, was she working many hours or was base rate enough for rent? If the job provided a roof for her - why did she do it with such disdain? She obviously didnt care about losing it - maybe because she knew she could get hired elsewhere with the rate of turnover? It must be nice to know there is always a wage available.

The slap on the bum is SO common, and one thing I am totally confused about. It was the one part she handled as she should of in that line of work. This was so common in previous work (as well as other manly intrusions) but now days, if we listen to the internet you could sue for sexual harassment, claim trauma and be interviewed by the media for a 4 days whirlwind of exposure. I felt the bum slap was the one part that truly showed the reality of the world.
It's difficult to believe that she could afford an apartment on that measly salary...unless she got a lot of tips. Or if the apartment was owned by the restaurant and they didn't charge the going rate.

Ha. After that dude slapped the Buffy Bum, did you notice how she paused for a minute? She was probably imagining all the different ways she could kill him. :D

HoppyHippy
HoppyHippy
Yeah she should have caught up with him later :) Would have made a mess of the diner if she reacted as she wanted to.

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
Yeah I get that Buffy was sad, but take your home problems or depression to any job and it ends in no job. It did not seem to matter to her if she was tipped, she could not have put any less effort into it. What a boring way to live your days, and she showed it in her face. She was back to herself as soon as her Slayer job kicked in. Does she do a better job of being the slayer because it was true to who she was? Anne was a (bad) act.
But if you don't have literally anyone, or anything, in your home life to make you feel better, it can be overwhelming or impossible to to keep that depression out of your job. You need some kind of comfort in life, something that makes you feel better, but judging by where she lived and how lonely she was, Buffy had not a single thing to alleviate her depression the slightest. She was lost. She was emotionally crushed. Anne was a bad act, because Buffy wasn't acting, she was hiding from life. It wasn't just being a bit sad.

Being a Slayer again seemed to be perfunctory and forced as well, until she was in the demon dimension and throws her name in the demon's face. She found herself again, that's why she went back home again, because she could face life again.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
It never bothers me if the waitering staff does not go out of their way to smile at me. I like it when people are genuinely cheerful and nice, but forced, artificial smiles are terrifying. Working long shift with customers is stressful. Doing your job should be enough. And if someone gropes you at work you should be allowed to shiv them with broken glass.

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
She was pretty confident in the nurses room too, and at the door before entering hell. She seemed happy in her Slayer role even before saying her name yet put less than 1/4 of this effort into the paid job.

I dont understand that period as depression, I see it as grief. Regardless of homelife, it doesnt come to work. If she always knew she would return home,that would also explain her poor performance and lack of care.

Honestly confused at waitressing being such a horrid job. Ive had far worse jobs that paid less, childcare for one :p try being depressed while surrounded by snot - nose brats.... They flock to you, like metal splinters to a magnet.