• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy possibly coming to Disney+

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
Those fight scenes that look like they were filmed in an operating theatre. Ugh!

tripdastati0n

Townie
i think the amazon remaster is different from the famous one from that everything wrong with the buffy remasters youtube video.. Ill stick with the amazon remaster but i already watched it so Ill give it 3 years for my next rewatch. I thought the picture looked better than ever. I used to own the chosen video set and i was shocked at how grainy and bad quality the early seasons were and then was shocked at how clear and beautiful the picture looked in the amazon remaster

NileQT87

Billowy Coat, King of Pain
There's no way this is appropriate for Disney+. The reason the Fox shows are on Hulu is more than just being Fox. It's because the content is not remotely comparable to what's on Disney+.

Even in The Mandalorian, you could see the parts where another network wouldn't have tamed it down quite as much (not killing off the monster cast in the heist episode is atypical compared to other monster heist trope episodes I've seen and you have to squint to see the romance in the closest thing to a potential love interest episode). The likes of PotC and the SW saga films are probably the top end of the PG-13 content allowed on that service. The content in those is definitely well above PG Mando, which I assume is the most mature original series Disney+ has made so far. Eunuch jokes probably go over the kiddos' heads, but there are quite a few deaths/amputations/crispy-fried!Anakin/creepy skeletons in those.

Is Indiana Jones on there with the Lucasfilm properties? If so, the underaged-Marion (ahem, that backstory was her only being 15--Young Indy was actually going to show the Abner fallout in an unproduced episode, though Carrie Fisher did write the episode where Indy lost his virginity to Mata Hari) and father-and-son-sleeping-with-a-Nazi conversations probably are the most risqué content on Disney+, not to mention the still-beating heart being ripped out (still censored in the UK) and faces melting off. Indy also curses a bit ("Hahaha, son of a b..."). Raiders (a wall of fire was placed to obscure Belloq's head exploding) and Temple (along with Gremlins, helped create PG-13 in the first place) were close to being R-rated.

Buffy season 6 is definitely a problem unless somebody at Disney+ is thinking they'll get more subscribers if they start packing the service with Fox shows for the teens and adults. They might want to partition it off. Or better yet, just take Hulu international and combine it into the Disney+ package in HD without commercials. I can imagine it's limiting their subscriber pool when families are looking to only purchase so many streaming services, see the limited content level on Disney+ and think their kids will be just fine with the kiddie movie sections on Netflix, Hulu and Prime.

Apparently, even an attempted Lizzie McGuire (!) revival was too adult for Disney+. Somebody at Disney+ is seriously confused if an old Disney Channel show revival was thought to be too mature, but then they want to bring over Buffy (or maybe want a toned-down reboot for Disney+?). I can only assume this person who added Buffy for consideration hasn't seen it and just saw it as a popular request by people who don't get Hulu.

With that in mind, no way in hell is Buffy/Angel getting on there without being hacked to itty-bitty, unwatchable pieces. They might be able to air the high school seasons at most once it's been edited down into Goosebumps. LOL.

If Mando is an indication for their exclusive new shows and if somebody at Disney is thinking of rebooting Buffy exclusively for Disney+, it's probably not going to have the same content level as the WB's, much less UPN's, Buffy/Angel. They might allow some of the campy, relatively bloodless violence (Mando has plenty of explosions and blaster fire), but you can see where deaths and romance are minimized compared to the average network show or even some of the blockbuster PG-13 films Disney started allowing to be made under their own name starting with PotC instead of Touchstone, etc... Back in the day, The Nightmare Before Christmas was released on the Touchstone label due to its content, only to be retroactively embraced all over the Disney parks. Doctor Who is famously watched by children (obviously not up for consideration), but I'd say it would be pushing it for Disney+, content level-wise (see the habit of killing off most of the guest cast, some of the revival's innuendo and some of the horror stuff). Mando is less than that, by comparison.

If Indiana Jones is there, I think they could just about get away with everything but the UPN seasons. Where the Wild Things Are is an earlier episode that might be pushing things sexually. The high school seasons are safer, but still loaded with innuendo and certain subjects.

Last edited:
ChaseRules
ChaseRules
Thanks for telling us that . You seem very well informed.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
There were also talks about putting Grey's Anatomy on Disney+ awhile ago, also not a show kids should be looking at...

NileQT87

I looked a bit more into it. It appears that this is in direct response to a lot of Disney+ users that are underwhelmed by the child-friendly options on offer and Disney possibly going back on its intention to keep the content only child-friendly. Putting in mature Fox content is thus an attempt to retain the adult subscribers.

Disney+ must be having a big identity/subscriber satisfaction crisis if they've gone from putting content warnings all over old Disney films that aren't PC now (forget Song of the South ever seeing the light of day) and thinking a Lizzie McGuire revival was too mature for its image, only to suddenly pivot to asking whether subscribers want all that mature, sexy, violent Fox content after all.

IMO, they should just combine Hulu into the package and make it international.

As someone who has Hulu, but no interest in Disney+ after already paying for three services, it would be better. Though they're already trying to bundle nonsense like ESPN (should be its own separate package, because it defeats the purpose of cord cutting) into Disney+ (Lucasfilm and Marvel make sense, and I guess they needed to give Nat Geo a home). I'm sure if they combined them, they'd just start jacking the price up or, God forbid, add Hulu and force those subscribers to pay for a bigger bundle.

Athene
Athene
I just don't see why people would ever go to Disney for that content that's what Netflix and all the others are for

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I'm sure if they combined them, they'd just start jacking the price up or, God forbid, add Hulu and force those subscribers to pay for a bigger bundle.
Actually the price goes down. Just as long as you are willing to accept Hulu with commercials. If I recall correctly (and this is when it first came out) You could get Disney+, Hulu and ESPN for around $12 a month. But only if you got the commercial version of Hulu.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
Actually the price goes down. Just as long as you are willing to accept Hulu with commercials. If I recall correctly (and this is when it first came out) You could get Disney+, Hulu and ESPN for around $12 a month. But only if you got the commercial version of Hulu.
Thanks for the info Spanky.

NileQT87

If they removed the commercials, I'd consider it. I have no interest in the service with commercials.

The stuff I watch is more Hulu than Disney+. Some of the stuff under the various Disney labels pops up on all the other services, anyway. Indy is on both Netflix and Amazon (the latter also has the fairly forgotten Young Indy series).

Given my aversion to yet more Special Editions of the Original Trilogy, I pretty much just watch Harmy's Despecialized Editions (highly recommended!) now. So the Lucasfilm content will forever be tainted until Disney gets George Lucas to okay a release of the theatrical versions (Greedo now says, "Maclunkey!" and Han still isn't the only shooter). I'm a big enough fan that I don't really need a streaming service to watch these movies.

I also don't follow Marvel, which I imagine is the big draw for getting in more than parents who want a service for their children to watch Disney Channel content. I've just seen The Avengers because of Joss Whedon and watched season 1 of Netflix's Jessica Jones only for David Tennant. I've seen a minuscule amount of Marvel compared to the average population. Marvel clearly has a lot of movies and series to plump up that section.

Though I suppose if they're thinking of allowing the likes of Buffy, they might be thinking they could bring over all their Marvel superhero shows outside of the M-rated Netflix ones that have all the usual network content the Disney+ service has stayed away from so far.

Marvel and Star Wars are a draw for most of the subscribers who aren't just getting it for their children. I rather suspect it's not the archived Davy Crockett and Zorro episodes reeling them in (saying this as someone who did like Vault Disney back in the day). The animated classics are obviously one of the first things people talked about with Disney+ being rolled out, though the content disclaimers on so many of them have gotten a lot of awkward attention.

Last edited:

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Well, what is Disney doing with the Fox/ABC Family/Freeform Library? I can't really find an answer, so my guess is limbo, until they can figure out what to do with mature theme teen programming?

ChaseRules

Sineya
I guessing it be in limbo for quite some time since they seem to have no idea . Look what happened to Lizzy McGuire .

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Don't Disney own Fox, ABC and Freeform ? If so, I don't see a reason not to also put some content from those channels for adults.

AlphaFoxtrot
AlphaFoxtrot
Yes they are. My understanding is, most of the Teen-focused Original Programming was on Hulu, until it was recently removed. So they probably have a custody dispute on their hands. Frankly, "Touchstone +" is still an option.

ChaseRules

Sineya
It seems really up in the air right now if you ask me .

GreyWalker1958

Potential
If the Splash censorship is any indication, whatever they do to both Buffy and Angel will be a lot worse

LeeJones41

Potential
According to CBR.com, Disney+ is polling some of its users to find out if they want Buffy (and perhaps the other Whedonverse series) to stream on Disney+.

Which would be great. My only concern is that they would probably use the "remastered" Buffy episodes that are forced into widescreen ratio.
Considering Disney's penchant for censoring material lately for Disney Plus, I don't know if this is a good idea.

Top Bottom