• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy Reboot: Part 2

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
You know, I read through the whole thread and I've come to the conclusion that I don't care much whether it happens or not. I know I look back on Buffy with rose-tinted glasses because I grew up watching it, but as an adult I know it's not perfect. I mean, they could remake season 7 with brain-damaged muppets and it'd be better.

Anways, I'd still be curious what they'd do. I've always loved the initial premise of this one girl being called.
I knew there'd be contention over a black Buffy from some. It's like a red flag to a bull. At the end of the day, all that matters to me is the writing and not what people look like. I'm interested in seeing how Monica Owusu-Breen does as showrunner. The only other female head honcho I can think of is Maurissa Tancharoen on Agents of Shield, and she shares that.

MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
Yeah...I'm kinda getting on that let's see what happens boat too!

Karin Schill

Townie
I just read about this in my morning paper. A photo of SMG even made the front page. It was a small one but still... :cool:

I can't say that I am excited about this news. In fact I won't be watching it just like I am not watching the Dynasty reboot that came out last year. I don't see a point with rebooting something that was perfect in the first place. It can just never be the same. :(

Then again I know I am not the target audience of this reboot as the original Buffy had a 14-24 years agespan of target audience, back then I was in that demo. Now I am not! :p

So well I guess the best thing that can come out of this is that it might attract a new younger audience who will then become curious about the original Buffy and check that out too.

But yeah I'd much rather have had a reunion movie or something with the original cast...

Ripper 08

Life Is Just A Game
So if this is "same characters modern era"

Whats going to happen with the giles character?

Do schools even still have librarys/librarians?

Would the modern day equivalent be a computer suite with computer technician?

Or would an empty librabry make even more sense today than it did in the original, cus do kids read at all these days if its not on a screen?

Spanky
Spanky
The library and the librarian would not be anything like in the original but libraries and librarians are still very much a thing, they are just more diversified now.
brinkster130
brinkster130
Schools still have libraries and librarians.
VCA
VCA
Libraries are very much still a thing in today's high schools

chasesummers

Cordy Lives
Hello BUFFY-BOARDS! So strange to be back but I couldn't resist when I heard such horrible news.

I completely disagree on the reboot, why would you reboot such a huge franchise with endless possibilities of continuation, why make Buffy Black?
This is such a bad step in every way, like TheMarySue stated, this Buffy would be forever considered the ''Black Buffy'' and that is not a good thing, labels will always divide us and give the show a bad taste.

I am happy to see an African American Slayer, heck... they were on the show! I would definitely want to see a past or future slayer 100%. But to name it ''Buffy TVS'' with the intention to wipe the previous franchise clean is a bad bad move.

Understandably so, the money is on the name but even if they named a new slayer within the original timeline ''Buffy'' as a name taken from the hero we know of (which is a better idea than a reboot), it will still cause a ton of confusion.

Anyway, to those people who agree... I made a petition to sign, slay and share.

Sign the Petition

I hope everyone here is doing well <3

chasesummers

Cordy Lives
Come on. How do you think they are trying to wipe the previous franchise clean? That's just hyperbole.
Because that's what reboots do. A reboot has the intention to start clean, starting clean means wiping the old away in the hopes to receive the same amount of fame, spin-offs, merch and what not. That's my view of it.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
starting clean means wiping the old away in the hopes to receive the same amount of fame, spin-offs, merch and what not. That's my view of it.
But it doesn't erase the previous. You'll still have Buffy97. Nothing will wipe that away.

I just don't understand why people feel like having something new somehow 'ruins' what came before it. And if we're being honest, most of Buffy97's popularity- in terms of fame and merch- came after it ended. There wasn't that much of it during it's initial airing. When it ended it garnered almost mythical status.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
But it doesn't erase the previous. You'll still have Buffy97. Nothing will wipe that away.

I just don't understand why people feel like having something new somehow 'ruins' what came before it. And if we're being honest, most of Buffy97's popularity- in terms of fame and merch- came after it ended. There wasn't that much of it during it's initial airing. When it ended it garnered almost mythical status.
I think the main issue people have, s that, if the reboot uses the same characters but just changes their races, they are effectively overwriting the original beloved characters and replacing them, thus the old series is no longer canon in regards to the new series. Nobody has issues with having POC characters, but not when it is beloved characters being race swapped just so someone can go "look how diverse we're being!" Create new characters instead of changing beloved old ones unnecessarily. For all those asking "what's wrong with a black Buffy?", how would you react to the question "what's wrong with a white Gunn?"

Obviously in order to use the show name "Buffy the vampire Slayer", the writers are going to have to have the main character named Buffy, however, it doesn't have to be Buffy Summers Buffy, it could just be a character named after her. In my opinion, that's the only way this reboot will work. They get their black Buffy, they get the freedom to write without having to worry about the events of the original series, but they don't piss off the fans of the original. Make no mistake, it is the fans of the original who will make or break this reboot.

Quote from @S Rou because the other thread was closed to new replies.

The only real person I want buffy with is angel, and I want spike with Dru, who I think is extremely underrated and deserved a way bigger part in the show.
I agree. I think the one issue the original show never really covered (but is certainly prevalent today) is that of mental illness. Season 5 briefly touched on it but all that happened was that Glory's victims were killed off (thus the mental people were "got rid of" and Willow magically made an insane Tara better, therefore she was cured of her mental illness). Dru is the only character that is mentally ill and stays that way and in Season 5 was only used as a plot point to get Sprusilla out of the way so that Spuffy could fly unimpeded.

What's more, Sprusilla would've been the perfect opportunity to explore living with a partner who has mental illness. It's a shame that there was never a scene between Willow and Spike where she asked him how he coped with caring for Dru, especially as she would've had to care for a crazy Tara at the time. Spike never saw Dru's mental illness as something "wrong" with her, he just saw it as one of her quirks that made up part of he character. Even though he did snap at her at times, he generally rolled with her ramblings and it was very clear that he cared for her deeply. Sprusilla is a positive image of a couple where one partner is mentally ill, however it was never given the focus it deserved. Instead, a lot of things were thrown under a bus in order to make Spuffy happen.

Spanky
Spanky
I can't imagine that they would keep the same set of characters. Buffy, yes, but the rest? No. It's fun to dream cast that they do, but logistically I can't imagine that ever happening.

Kratos

Scooby
A reboot doesn’t tarnish the original series for me either. The 1960s tv series The Fugitive got a reboot in 2000 and it doesn’t bother me, though I’ve never watched it.

I first watched old Buffy in 2002 when I was 15, but never really got into it until nearly a decade ago. It’s one of my top 3 favourite dramas along with Angel, but it does flaws that are more noticeable as an adult. For example, season 1 was kinda rough, though that applies to most shows.

CharlieGunn1

Ready for battle...
@chasesummers @Spanky
why make Buffy Black?
This is such a bad step in every way, like TheMarySue stated, this Buffy would be forever considered the ''Black Buffy'' and that is not a good thing, labels will always divide us and give the show a bad taste.
As a person of color myself, this part sticks deeply in my craw... 'bad taste'? You care to explain this? I fail to see how the labels created by ostensibly racist folks who only think in terms of race, would some how damage a new Buffy. The original Buffy was white, that is also a label, but somehow that whiteness never damaged the characters standing or ability to relate to diverse audiences, or be involved with intricate and interesting stories... is it your position that somehow a black actress would constitute a label where the original didn't?

Do you believe that the race of the titular Slayer is somehow intrinsic to Buffy's character? Do you realize that Buffy's experiences could just have easily been encountered by someone who is Black or Hispanic or Asian living in America?? Where are you coming up with this issue that simply does not exist in the text of either the show or the original movie?

What exactly would be harmed by replacing a the titular slayer with a person of African-American descent? Please elaborate why a person of color would 'divide' us? The only people this might alienate are people who have an issue with race, and frankly I have no desire to pander to anyone who sees a black person and recoils. If having a black slayer is problem for you or anyone, I would suggest the issue is you and them, and not the character on screen. I have no union with people who do not view me as worthy of the same respect and representation as them. If you are Buffy fan, and think that someones skin color makes them 'problematic', then you and I are not on the same side. You cannot divide that which was never united.

I completely disagree on the reboot..."intention to wipe the previous franchise clean"
Couple of notes...

Reboots do not 'erase the past', any more then new stories remove the originals. We will always have 7 seasons of Buffy and 5 Seasons of Angel. New content by the creator whether it's a reboot or a continuation, will never besmirch what came before.

I really ask anyone with this opinion to really think about what they are stating. To try and stop stories from being reinterpreted or continued in other forms (regardless of your enjoyment of the original) would have robbed the world of so many incredible stories, characters, and ideas. Anyone that values story, writing, and art itself, cannot possibly consider this as a serious position. I can recount hundreds of characters that would not exist, were it not for a reboot, a reinterpretation of the original material.

The entire franchise is a reboot!

You have a right to be worried about another reboot, but to try and force creators to abandon projects via petition because you believe it will 'damage' Buffy is one of the most ludicrous things I personally have ever read.

Buffy is not a static creation, it has always been Dynamic since the first moment that Joss' tv series hit the air.

I would encourage you to really think about what your implying in your assertions and aversions to a reboot, especially when it comes to matters of race. From where I sit, you are way of base, and are reflecting attitudes not only adverse but hostile to the inclusiveness that this series still represents.

As a Buffy Fan from the way back, I will encourage everyone I know to embrace the newness, and remember that change is not destroying the past, but rather it's a way of keeping stories timeless and changing to reflect the present.

Last edited:
Tome
Tome
Nicely put.
MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
Yes! Finally an opinion from a POC. Thanks for sharing!

Ripper 08

Life Is Just A Game
@Spanky

The reason i asked the library question is because around my area i know public libraries are certainly closing down, some that are staying open are even turning into self service with zero in house staff

So its not hard to imagine in times of funding cut backs etc the same could have happened in schools, let alone the technology/internet era taking over the need for a library.

My college used to lean more towards resource packs being put on an internal intranet than utalizing their own library and that was near on 11 years ago.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I don't have a problem with them making the new Buffy black, (I just don't think they should make a new Buffy to begin with), but why not make the new Buffy Hispanic, or Asian or Middle Eastern? I don't like when people say "we need to diversify" and then they just add in some black characters, like that is diversity. Black and White is not diverse. Lets have some real diversity, bring in some Hispanics or Asians. Which would better represent the demographic of Southern California. I think they should just create an original slayer and have her be a person of color. Giving them a role that was popularize by two white women almost sounds like sloppy seconds. If they really want, they could do the reboot and have a new Kendra, or Nikki Wood. But I would prefer to see new original characters. I know reboots and remakes are really popular right now, but that doesn't mean they are all good. I do like Fuller House on Netflix though, but that has the original cast.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I don't have a problem with them making the new Buffy black, but why not make the new Buffy Hispanic, or Asian or Middle Eastern?
Because the showrunner is "black" and having a "black" Buffy would be more personal to her. Just as the original Buffy was personal to Whedon.

Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
lol because Whedon is a tiny white woman? :p

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
Because the showrunner is "black" and having a "black" Buffy would be more personal to her. Just as the original Buffy was personal to Whedon.
Yea cause Whedon was a blonde teenage girl. I get it. I don't like it.

CharlieGunn1

Ready for battle...
I don't have a problem with them making the new Buffy black...
Then we're all good here, let's wrap- oh good lord you kept going. Seems to me if you do have problem, just be honest about that going in. You don't say 'I don't have a problem,' then proceed to list all of the problems you have, that's just nuts.

why not make the new Buffy Hispanic, or Asian or Middle Eastern?
You we're doing so well. Diverse in this context simply means different then the white default. The original Buffy Tv show had a predominately white cast, white writers, producers etc. So moving from that would be considered 'diverse'. or different. But I find it amazing that in your mind having 1/3 of the buffy's be black somehow would represent a 'fake' diversity. I'm interested to know about my unreality of my diverse nature. What about being african american is 'not real' diversity? Please, enlighten me.

Black and White is not diverse. Lets have some real diversity, bring in some Hispanics or Asians. Which would better represent the demographic of Southern California.
Whew... that's a lot to unpack. Again adding an african american is generally considered diverse, because as explained, it is not the white default. I'm genuinely amazed by the idea that anyone would consider black people as somehow akin to the 'default' in television, and therefore not 'diverse', I'm literally stunned by this assertion. I'm proud that in your mind, someone of my skin color is no longer 'diverse'. What an amazing achievement. I'll be sure to tell my local police the good news.

Also why do you assume a new buffy would be set in SoCal? It could be New York, or Cleveland, or heck Huston Texas.

I gotta say, this thread really is opening my eyes to some rigidness and inflexibility from people who are ostensibly reasonable folks. It's incredibly sad. I'm not expecting all of my fellow fans to be 'woke' but damn, this is a tough day.

Last edited:
MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
I think you need this - Hugs,hugs,hugs!

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
I gotta say, this thread really is opening my eyes to some rigidness and inflexibility from people who are ostensibly reasonable folks. It's incredibly sad. I'm not expecting all of my fellow fans to be 'woke' but damn, this is a tough day.
It’s a sad eye opening experience for sure. :/

TriBel

Scooby
Do you realize that Buffy's experiences could just have easily been encountered by someone who is Black or Hispanic or Asian living in America??
I'm not sure about this. I think a Black, Hispanic or Asian Buffy could well face a different set of problems on top (and TBH, I find this quite exciting - if that doesn't sound too perverse). Otherwise, I completely agree with everything you say.

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
Then we're all good here, let's wrap- oh good lord you kept going. Seems to me if you do have problem, just be honest about that going in. You don't say 'I don't have a problem,' then proceed to list all of the problems you have, that's just nuts.

You we're doing so well. Diverse in this context simply means different then the white default. The original Buffy Tv show had a predominately white cast, white writers, producers etc. So moving from that would be considered 'diverse'. or different. But I find it amazing that in your mind having 1/3 of the buffy's be black somehow would represent a 'fake' diversity. I'm interested to know about my unreality of my diverse nature. What about being african american is 'not real' diversity. Please, enlighten me.

Whew... that's a lot to unpack. Again adding an african american is generally considered diverse, because as explained, it is not the white default. I'm genuinely amazed by the idea that anyone would consider black people as somehow akin to the 'default' in television, and therefore not 'diverse', I'm literally stunned by this assertion. I'm proud that in your mind, someone of my skin color is no longer 'diverse'. What an amazing achievement. I'll be sure to tell my local police the good news.

Also why do you assume a new buffy would be set in SoCal? It could be New York, or Cleveland, or heck Huston Texas.

I gotta say, this thread really is opening my eyes to some rigidness and inflexibility from people who are ostensibly be reasonable folks. It's incredibly sad. I'm not expecting all of my fellow fans to be 'woke' but damn, this is a tough day.
Well it seems to me that when producers of movies and shows say they want to add some diversity, the default is to add in black actors. I'm not saying it is "fake" diversity. Something is either diverse or it is not. Diversity is in the context of the people you're surrounded by. The show Black Lightning, has 1 main cast member that is white, is that diversity? I look at diversity in a group setting. If you take a group of 10 white people and add in one black person. That to me is not diverse. That's like saying I want the colors of the rainbow, just give me black and white. I find diversity to be more varied then just black people and white people. That to me is not a diverse cast. A good example was the recent Power Rangers movie. That was a diverse cast. 1 white male lead, a half white/half Indian female lead, 1 black guy, 1 Asian guy and 1 Hispanic girl. That is diversity. And I also think diversity is a regional thing as well. You mention the white default, that is definitely something that is predominant in Western Culture, but not true of say Asian Foreign films. So diversity has to represent the culture that you live in, and in America we have more than just blacks and whites. I'm just saying there should be more representation for people of all races. As for Buffy being set in SoCal, well I guess I just assumed, since they are remaking the character. Sunnydale was a fictional place anyways. I feel like if they make it an actual city, it won't have the charm that the show had. Again, I think they should create a new character.

Top Bottom