• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy Reboot: Part 2

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
I do not see a Buffy reboot will work in 2019. Buffy was a backlash to the cheep horror movies of the 1980's and 1990's were you start out with 10 girls and 5 are dead you know the movie is half over with. Buffy was the body type of girl were she would have been killed in a horror movie; and Faith was the same type of body shape that would have been killed off too. Mainstream horror movies today have moved away from killing vast amount of people into a mental exercise of horror. A female fighter today is in her 30's and more in the shape of a man working out of a gym. Buffy would be a teenager and look more like eye candy then coming out of a gym. I do not see it being green lighted for a reboot to be like the show we understand.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
think it may all come down to the writing

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
Wondering what shows Thrasher & Taake have been watching? Cause there's been some excellent TV last 15-20 years. Just saying.
I mean, that's great for you. I'm not trying to take that away from you. I think what I'd call the cultural and academic elite would agree with you, calling it the 'golden age of television', I personally think it's golden like McDonalds golden arches, i.e. fast-food television. A lot of post modernist drivel. Lots of content, little meaning, no nuance. Here today, forgotten tomorrow, onto the next meal. As for what I've watched it's everything from Dexter to the new Queer Eye, but my point wasn't to rag on other TV-shows people may love, it was that people may have legitimate reasons to be vary about a new Buffy and what form it'll take. I am not saying that the new Buffy will be bad, or has to be bad. When it comes I'll give it a chance. Maybe it'll be amazing. I think it's great that people are enthuasiastic, but until I've seen it, I reserve my right to be skeptical.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Couldn't disagree more. Tried watching shows from before the noughties. For the most part, the writing (& sometimes acting) is just plain terrible. Especially if you get into the 80s and before. Now don't get me wrong, there's stll plenty of bad shows on TV now. Probably even the majority, but nothing compared to stuff back then. Shoot even my parents, who were actually around back then, agree. As I said before, maybe if people are watching mostly network sitcoms (like 2 & half men or 2 Broke Girls) and/or reality tv, then maybe they would think that. However, as one who generally avoids stuff like that, I've found lots of quality content out there.

Kratos

Scooby
Couldn't disagree more. Tried watching shows from before the noughties. For the most part, the writing (& sometimes acting) is just plain terrible. Especially if you get into the 80s and before. Now don't get me wrong, there's stll plenty of bad shows on TV now. Probably even the majority, but nothing compared to stuff back then. Shoot even my parents, who were actually around back then, agree. As I said before, maybe if people are watching mostly network sitcoms (like 2 & half men or 2 Broke Girls) and/or reality tv, then maybe they would think that. However, as one who generally avoids stuff like that, I've found lots of quality content out there.
Agreed. Most shows (current and old) don’t interest me, though. I found that the 1960s tv series The Fugitive does hold up well, though, even if it’s a bit formulaic and slow-paced by today’s standards.

I’m willing to give any reboot a chance.

W

WillowFromBuffy

The thing about the "cultural and academic elite" is that it consists of scholars, journalists and anyone else that have a desire to engage with entertainment, literature and art in a meaningful way. It is not really much of an elite, especially compared with the people who produce the entertainment. Cultural commentator strive to create a bridge between Hollywood and the common man. Scholars and journalists are working stiffs who work hard for moderate pay.

Furthermore, cultural commentators in academia and tabloids have been a boon for the Buffy-fandom and is a huge part of the reason why the show can be remade today.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Wait... I am not elite of any sort but just a quick question - wasnt Prisoner from the 70's/80's? Remade into Wentworth? Sounds a bit like the base idea for Orange is the New Black too. Star trek, BSG, star wars, plently of horror movies were popular in their time and are only remade to appeal to todays teenagers. Which means, no longer appealing to me.

To view these shows from the fast pace age we are in now, without having experienced the time would make them seem lame -er. Shows did have to appealed to many people because there were far less! Just cos shows are seen through a naughties lense does not make them shit shows of their time.

I agree with @Taake here that we are in a fast food era of tv. I enjoy the abundance of stories but there are not nearly as many shows that are rewatch quality. Or many that stay with me (like Buffy did). Personally the shows I most enjoy are based on books ... From the 70's,80's and 90's.

As for the Buffy reboot - I'd likely watch it for discussion here but actually not all that interested or excited by the concept.

Wynonna Earp is my Buffy right now.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
WayHaught! 💕

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Satanic Panda
Black Thorn
Come on. How do you think they are trying to wipe the previous franchise clean? That's just hyperbole.
I think she means that they're going to re-do everything, by wiping the slate clean as it were. Maybe a black Buffy, a "transgender" Xander, a Mexican Willow, or perhaps even Cordelia in a wheelchair. Hey, maybe Joyce could be a PETA advocate! Anya wouldn't be an ex-demon, she'd be an ex-Republican. Ah, the possible hilarity.

Either way, the reboot is going to suck monkey balls. There's no way they can recapture the magic of original show. Part of its charm was the time it was set in. I can't even began to imagine how horrible an "updated" version will be. Perhaps in between fighting vampires, the Scoobies might have meaningful conversations about global warming, saving the rain forests, and the evil of plastic polluting the oceans. Giles would be considering "sexual reassignment" surgery. Spike would ask permission of his victims, just to make sure they didn't feel "violated" before he killed them. Faith would support the #MeToo movement, and Snyder would give out participate trophies to kids who did absolutely nothing worthwhile.

Just. Kill. Me. Now.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Perhaps in between fighting vampires, the Scoobies might have meaningful conversations about global warming, saving the rain forests, and the evil of plastic polluting the oceans. ... Faith would support the #MeToo movement, and Snyder would give out participate trophies to kids who did absolutely nothing worthwhile.
That would be cool! If they did it right.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
I really want to hurt you at this moment. 😂
Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
ABS, I'll hold him, you hit him.

Cohen

Warrior
So why hasn’t there been any news on the Buffy reboot? No pilot or casting or anything. Are they really going through with it?

Spanky
Spanky
I really doubt it. Though I did posit at one point they would see what the reaction for the comic reboot was and use that as a barometer.
brinkster130
brinkster130
My theory is that everything has been put on hold until everything is sorted out with Disney buying Fox.
Top Bottom