• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy Reboot: Part 2

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
Yeah, think my preference would be a new start too. A proper reboot simply. :)
Going back to a new, more carefree Buffy that has to balance school and slaying while keeping it all a secret.

And even though I in general enjoy Joss story writing I would actually prefer him not being much involved.
We have seen his version and it was good, brilliant even.
Now let's see what another showrunner/writer can do.

/SK

Spanky
Spanky
This times infinity. When I found out it wasn't a reboot I was really disappointed.
shpadoinkle
shpadoinkle
Yeah. No thanks.

HyperionWitch

Townie
A full reboot that throws out all the continuity is a deal-breaker for me. I already have my Buffy.
I would hope they keep Buffy and Angel as canon, but for practicality purposes, I wouldn't care if the post series comics where tossed out or simply not referenced. Good or bad, for all the lack of access there is for the two tv shows, the comics are even less well known.

And if Buffy is kept as canon, I do want them to remember Angel as well. Despite going for five seasons, 110 episodes, airing for a year after Buffy went off the air, and winning numerous awards, Angel always seems to play second fiddle to Buffy, or in some cases seems to be ignored outright.

NileQT87
NileQT87
Ignoring AtS is a deal-breaker for me with any continuation. It's yet another reason why I refuse to accept the Dark Horse comics. The comics need to be jettisoned and few in the fandom at this point would beg for their inclusion. They're horrid.
K
katmobile
I'd like it so there's nothing that contradicts comic canon but I think you can do that without meaning people have to acknowledge it if they don't want to.

Cheyanne Suttle

Potential
I havent been on much lately because I have been just binging so many shows and stuffs but I knew when I heard about the Buffy reboot that I would need to come take a look at what people are saying. There is a lot more possitivety than I expected, mostly because when the Charmed reboot news hit, the Charmed Cafe was NOT happy AT ALL lol. But thats neither here nor there. For me, how I feel about the reboot will 100% count on the quality of the acting. What I can not stand is when someone tries to reboot an old show with terrible actors and ruin the show.
After watching the trailer for the Charmed reboot... I am not happy about it because I just dont think it looks that good-- it looks like a typical 2018 CW show but lets just call in Charmed. bleck.
But, I just recently watched the original Roswell and really enjoyed it even though the acting was subpar at best. When I saw the trailer for the reboot, I got so excited because its the same story just with seemingly better acting! Love it!
I wont reach a decision on how I feel about Buffy reboot until I see that trailer!

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I think the actresses for the rebooted series being so disrespectful of the original (in addition to showing they weren't that familiar with it despite what they had to say) contributed a lot to the negative fan reaction to the reboot.

Cohen

Warrior
But the issue with that is if the comics have taken place than it's a much different show and I'd rather have cameos. Telling the story of a "new" Buffy where vampires are already known and known about has no appeal at all to me... unless they bring back some of the original cast and make it a true continuation.
The more I have time to gestate the reboot news, the more I like the idea of letting the comics be their own canon universe and jumping the new series off 15-17 (maybe even 20, just for time’s sake) years since Willow’s spell where her and Buffy’s slayers lost their powers in some major battle, and the world is not knowledgeable about slayers and demons and vampires. Or maybe just a side universe (like new Star Trek) where season 7 never happened, and Buffy died a normal slayer death and continued the line. I definitely don’t want the comics involved. They are their own special universe.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
half wondering if that might be where this short season is heading...

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
They don't necessarily have to reference the comics to keep them as canon. Certainly viewers will expect that the Buffyverse hasn't just been frozen in suspended animation since "Chosen"... a lot of things will have happened and there will be a new status quo. That status quo can be determined by the comics stories, because they represent where Joss wanted the story to go. But since most viewers will not have read the comics, there shouldn't be anything in the show that requires you to know them. It needs to be mentioned and spelled out on screen.

Assuming that the new show is about a new Slayer, the main question that needs to be answered is: are there still thousands of Slayers as per "Chosen", or back to just one? That will presumably be answered by the end of the season 12 comics. The answer, and the circumstances around it, can be recapped in the first episode, and then we can just move on with the story. Kind of like how the events of the Buffy movie were briefly recapped in "Welcome to the Hellmouth" without viewers needing to have seen the movie.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I have only read page 1 (I’ll go back in a moment), but I just want to comment for people linking that Mary Sue article to back up your opinion that Buffy should not be black: that is ONE black person’s opinion. It does not represent all black fan’s opinions. She is not a monolith. Stop treating her as such.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
Ahem, I’d love some “proof” too! 😍

(Me and the rest of the old Merrick house. I believe we still have a DB/Angel rotation schedule around here somewhere...😘)

HyperionWitch

Townie
They don't necessarily have to reference the comics to keep them as canon. Certainly viewers will expect that the Buffyverse hasn't just been frozen in suspended animation since "Chosen"... a lot of things will have happened and there will be a new status quo. That status quo can be determined by the comics stories, because they represent where Joss wanted the story to go. But since most viewers will not have read the comics, there shouldn't be anything in the show that requires you to know them. It needs to be mentioned and spelled out on screen.

Assuming that the new show is about a new Slayer, the main question that needs to be answered is: are there still thousands of Slayers as per "Chosen", or back to just one? That will presumably be answered by the end of the season 12 comics. The answer, and the circumstances around it, can be recapped in the first episode, and then we can just move on with the story. Kind of like how the events of the Buffy movie were briefly recapped in "Welcome to the Hellmouth" without viewers needing to have seen the movie.
Or if Joss wants to keep the comics canon, before the series starts(if it goes through and is actually greenlit down the line) he could come out with a list saying this is stuff you can't touch or I would prefer you not to touch, this is stuff that I'd prefer you at least hold off on, this stuff is fair game, have at it, and anything else not mentioned I either don't care or if it turns out to be an issue, that's totally my fault for not thinking of it earlier.

With regards to a recap, not necessary, and it may also not be very practical. The tv show was adapted in such a way that it was implied that the events of the movie happened only a few months to a year or so at most before "Welcome to The Hellmouth". This Despite the movie coming out in the summer of 1992 and the tv show in early 1997. The tv show also drastically altered or rearranged a lot of stuff from the movie to fit into the tv show. It should also be pointed out that despite references to the general events of the movie, the tv show rarely went into in depth details. Aside from Buffy and her mom, who I don't think was even formally named in the movie, no other movie characters where ever seen or mentioned in the tv series.

Without necessarily declaring the comics non canon, a new tv show, especially set years or a decade or more down the line could simply choose to ignore them outright, especially if it is felt that the events of the comics aren't going to have bearing on the plot.

NileQT87

Billowy Coat, King of Pain
I strongly disagree with the idea that the comics being canonized would not get in the way of a new series. Problem is, a huge amount of the plotlines are about the mystical world becoming well known by the public. After the Fall did it in L.A. and then the comics that caused London to be full of mutants did it again. Then there's also the government hunting down the supernatural.

These things all just utterly destroy the our-world realism in a continuation. Sunnydale (which was supposed to be barely findable on a map before it became part of the UC system) getting cratered and L.A. having a demon horde coming down one alley 15+ years prior to a new Slayer who might not even have been born yet are entirely different events to clean up so that the new Slayer can be oblivious to the supernatural world when she's called. If you try to keep the comics, the likelihood of her being oblivious plummets. Even if she were related to someone involved in the Scoobies or Fang Gang, that doesn't necessarily mean she was raised with any awareness of what goes bump in the night.

Last edited:
K
katmobile
Set around the hellmouth in Cleveland. LA in hell was covered up to the rest of the world is probably assumed to be a legend from my contact with Americans a lot think LA residents are flakes anyway. It ain't local a lot of Americans don't know or ca

Cangel1987

♥ Cangel ♥ Spuffy ♥
I am still not sure what to think about the new Buffy series. If it was up to me, they would not need to bring out something new. Seriously, I think Buffy also Angel was fine the way it was. Maybe it's because I grew up with the original series.

Tome
Tome
Also, Cangel love!

Tome

Berktwad
Black Thorn
I am still not sure what to think about the new Buffy series. If it was up to me, they would not need to bring out something new. Seriously, I think Buffy also Angel was fine the way it was. Maybe it's because I grew up with the original series.
They are definitely perfectly fine as they are right now, I agree. However, it is because I loved this fictional universe that I would want more stories taking place in it. :p I mean, as long as the quality is similar to what we got in the past, it is hard for me to see how this could be a negative thing.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I'm hoping for a MMORPG. Re Comics; Don't believe everything you read In a comic book.

HyperionWitch

Townie
Because that's what reboots do. A reboot has the intention to start clean, starting clean means wiping the old away in the hopes to receive the same amount of fame, spin-offs, merch and what not. That's my view of it.
Not really, no.

Reboot (fiction) - Wikipedia

Reboot is a somewhat vague and nebulous term.

In cases like Battlestar Galactica, a reboot has been like you've described, taking sourcr material or concepts and otherwise starting over from the beginning.

All the Details on the 'Full House' Reboot

In other cases, Full House for example(the show where the Olsen Twins first appeared, starting as infants), got a reboot also. They basically used the same cast, with some new characters, set a couple decades later.

NileQT87
NileQT87
The 2nd example uses the word incorrectly (but in a common way). Reboot really is more like the BG example. NuWho, Fuller House, Girl Meets World, etc... are REVIVALS. Reboot is a scary word. NuTrek with 2 Spocks is actually a parallel universe!

OldSchoolVamp

Townie
(Raises hand in class)
I'm glad that Joss and Co. Made such an iconic show that it is still so popular today. And I have no problem with the color or creed of our newest slayer, ahem...Kendra? I don't think the name Buffy should go to anybody else but who Buffy was. Maybe in a perfect world SMG would sign on to be a limited character who is now the mother of our newest slayer. I'll leave the details up to discussion. But a passing of the torch from the ultimate slayer, Buffy, now that would be amazing

HyperionWitch

Townie
(Raises hand in class)
I'm glad that Joss and Co. Made such an iconic show that it is still so popular today. And I have no problem with the color or creed of our newest slayer, ahem...Kendra? I don't think the name Buffy should go to anybody else but who Buffy was. Maybe in a perfect world SMG would sign on to be a limited character who is now the mother of our newest slayer. I'll leave the details up to discussion. But a passing of the torch from the ultimate slayer, Buffy, now that would be amazing
Biggest problem would be getting Sarah to sign onto a project. From other interviews she's given over the years, unless it was a slam dunk project, and/or unless they throw her what would probably be an unrealistic amount of cash, she doesn't seem to have any desire to step back into the role, even for the odd cameo.

Regardless of how they go, those of you expecting anything more then stock footage or a body double of SMG Buffy are setting yourselves up for a world of disappointment.

Top Bottom