• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Buffy Relationships (A polite, and civil place to discuss Buffy ship opinions!)

BuffyNvrForgets

Slayerette
Part of the reason I joined these Boards, is because I had so many complex thoughts and opinions about this show! One of my most complex are my Ship opinions.

This can be a heated topic, so I wanted to set some groundrules for this thread, not only because I want this be a fun, comfortable place to discuss this freely, but I also want to prevent this from becoming a full on nightmare for our wonderful Staff members.

1: These are all opinions about a show. DO NOT make fun of, or personally attack those whose opinions you don't agree with. Sure! Provide a counter point, or a reason why you personally don't agree, but if what you say has to do with the PERSON, you are doing this wrong.
2: If you don't have something kind or constructive to say, don't say it. Again, feel free to counter point, but if you are writing it angrily, or bashing a character someone clearly likes, please think twice.

that's basically it. Just be kind. ;)

Also, I intend this mostly to be about specifically Buffy's ships, but hey, if you want to debate someone else's, please do!

Now,

My Personal Opinion on Buffy's ships:

I actually think Buffy shouldn't end up with any of her proposed ships in the show. I know right? weird. here's why.

She and Riley weren't well matched. Sure, he was a nice, stable guy. But he wasn't comfortable with a girlfriend with such a strong personality and set of skills. Does that make him bad? No. Just not right for Buffy. She wasn't comfortable being super open with him either, so that was that.

Spike? To me, Spike was a nightmare. Their relationship was born from the fact that he grew obsessed with her. He stalked her. He stole things from her house, he watched her sleep. (Which, By the way, that's happened a few times...evil vampires watch her sleep...Buffy, close and bolt your window maybe???)
He literally kidnapped her, chained her up and tried to force her to say she loved him.
Then, she died, and was clearly severely traumatized. And depressed. Just all in all, not doing too well. He continually sought her out, or caught her when she was alone, and told her she was "different", and "wrong". He filled her head with the fact that she's dark and broken now, and her friends won't be able to handle it. He is the only one who understands her. Soooo, on a bad day, she (*cough, cough* Keeping it PG) "is" with him. And regrets it. She is clearly afraid of him. There is a shot where she's sitting, curled up on her bed, garlic across her window and bed, waiting for him all night with a stake. She was terrified of him. Not to mention her breakdown when Tara says there is nothing wrong with her. (BTW, way to go Tara in "Older and Far Away". She was super awsome, roasting Spike at every opportunity and defending Willow. One of her best episodes.)
(almost) Every single encounter they have after that starts with Buffy saying "No". That alone is concerning. and then...Well, again trying to keep it PG, I'll just say "Seeing Red" happens.
He's horrified, justly so, and goes off to earn a soul. I actually support this! As must as I wanted never to forgive him, he works hard. I think he should have come back in search of redemption, and she shoud have grown to forgive him (Instead of just randomly being fine wiht everything he did. Geez, Buffy! You'd think there would have been some lasting issues???) His sacrifice at the end also meant a lot. I'm always going to support someone seeking redemption. Everyone deserves it.
But then, he goes onto Angel, and he becomes basically the same self serving jerk he was before. At least he's funny again though. Boy, I had missed funny Spike.

Out of all three "Long term" relationships, I actually support Angel the most. I think he truly cared about her. And she truly cared about him. Yeah, their relationship was kinda Shakespearean at times, but I personally kinda enjoyed that. Also, they got an awesome love theme, which is one of the best pieces of score in the show. So, that's pretty cool.
One of the selling points for me, was that, because they could never be "together", their relationship was completely and totally built on actual love and compassion. Not lust. It's almost a direct opposite to Spike. Spike claims to "love" her, but earlier on in the series, he defines "love" (One of the times being in "Lover's Walk", I believe) but he, in truth, defines lust.
Angel isn't like this. He doesn't love her because he wants "her". He truly loves the person she is. The claddagh ring is a beautiful symbol of this. The friendship and loyalty, and the belonging of their relationship.

But, in the end, I don't think she should end up, even with Angel. Too complicated.

think about it. Through the whole series, Buffy, while accepting and having at least some pride in her calling, longs for a normal life. She wants a normal boyfriend. She wants a house, and a husband, and a family. (When she's ready, of course!)
So she should be with Riley?
No. No she should not. Yes he's not an immortal vampire, but again, he's not right for her.
She needs to meet someone who is a normal LIVING human. one who knows about her slayer life, and one who supports it. Not just is okay with it, but one who might even help. One who loves her, and isn't afraid to be with her though she's totally capable of taking care of herself. Someone who she can love and suport as well.

Has she met him yet? No, I don't think so. But she's 22 at the end of the series. She has time!

And with that, what do YOU think?
Let the debate begin!

Nearwild

Townie
I decided to do my latest rewatch 'all in' for Bangel. I always found it meh before but I thought it would be fun to pretend for the sake of the story. And yes, there are romantic parts with the ring, and the prom, but really in order to accept it you need to believe in love at first sight, soulmates, or true love etc, otherwise it's just 2 kids being dumb and overdramatic with their feelings over the course of a few months. Which, tbf, weren't we all at 16.

I like Buffy's relationship with Spike better in terms of the evolution of their alliance- yes it's messy, but by the end they don't need to be 'together' in order to have a mutally supportive friendship, and I like watching that unfold. Timeline-wise it's more believable for me.

Riley is a big ol' mess of red flags and I find him tedious and frustrating to watch. The fact that he throws down an ultimatum when he was the one 'cheating' means he should just get in the bin imo.

The thing that mostly bothers me in the show is the idea that love in terms of being in the relationship for ever and ever is held up as the highest standard. All the ships presume that this is the last and best love, when Buffy is still so young. Like you say, she's 22- I think she deserves better than to be crammed into a life-defining relationship so young.

But then, maybe I'm just bitter and cynical these days lol.

BuffyNvrForgets
BuffyNvrForgets
No, I don’t think you are cynical, you make some really fantastic points. I think you are right about Angel. He is her first love! Yeah, it’s a little overblown. I totally agree with you. I loved her “cookie dough” thing. She’s not done baking!

Priceless

Scooby
As a viewer I much preferred Spike and Buffy together. Their relationship was fun to watch, yes it was messy but it was an entertaining messy in which both characters could be at their absolute worst and still be enjoyable to watch. I loved their individual characters and seeing them together just doubled my viewing pleasure 🙂 They are my favourite couple in any tv show ever and I've never seen this sort of story done so well, over so many years with so much growth and change. It's beautiful to me.

I don't mind Bangel, but to me it's quite dull viewing. It's instant love, but based on what? How cute the girl is and how handsome the boy? I guess it's because they're both fighting the same war, but even that doesn't work for me because of Angel's behaviour in the first few episodes. He's so laconic and remote, he feels kind of empty and withholding.

I don't mind Riley either. I don't believe he was ever meant to be the replacement for Angel in Buffy's affections, he was just the transition guy, to help her move on. He was also quite dull viewing, but unlike Angel he didn't improve at all. I feel sorry for him because he put so much pressure on himself to be someone he wasn't.

Special mention for Owen, who I did not hate and who I thought would be a good match for Buffy before she realised vampires 'got her hot'. He was into poetry, he was thoughtful and seemed sweet natured, but he was also into the fighting.

Faded90

Scooby
I’ll try my best to stay polite 😉

Buffy/Angel - honestly of Buffy’s canon relationships I think this is by far her best. I actually think they have the best communication of ANY Buffyverse couple. Despite the melodramatic ness they have at times they have an incredibly mature way of talking through their issues and reassuring each other. They play occasional games with each other before they get together but it’s always resolved with a mature discussion. They try to make each other jealous with Xander and Cordy early S2, they both acknowledge what they were doing and that they felt jealous and they agree not to play games like that. Halloween Angel reassures Buffy she has no reason to feel insecure because he likes her for herself. Or Earshot when Buffy talks to him after the Faith/Angelus stuff he again reassured her and tells her she doesn’t need to play games, Buffy is even insanely fair when she quietly says she’d understand if he had a thing for Faith - for a teen I think this is incredibly mature and fair . Sanctuary is obviously a low point but once again when they’ve cooled down they end up having a mature conversation about it and refuse to let the other take full blame but also agree that they shouldn’t have spoken to each other like that. Buffy/Angel there is a lot of valid criticisms but I think they actually trump a lot of other Buffyverse couple in their maturity in dealing with their issues. I don’t see it as endgame (mostly because I think The Mayor’s speech and Buffy’s
Reaction is a clear indication that a vampire relationship will never be anything other than miserable for her long term) but I think of all Buffy’s ex’s they are the ones who will always stay friends and in touch for as long as they need each other for support. I don’t see that ever going away. Forever I think is a clear indication of the supportive friendship they have, Angel doesn’t push and isn’t gagging for her to cry (I’ll come on to HIM next 😉) he provides gentle support. She isn’t breaking down and being raw and yet Angel completely respects that this is the way Buffy deals with her trauma and grief

Riley - the absolute epitome of toxic masculinity. Just a crazy amount of red flags. The way Riley judges her feelings about him in the way she deals with an extreme situation with her Mother is just appalling. Like the levels of self involvedness is just insane. The worst thing is that the narrative tells us he’s right. But he isn’t. We get told Buffy isn’t there for him, but this is completely ignoring the support she offered throughout S4, we get told she isn’t communicating with him but she is - it’s just not the way HE wants. Like the scene where he stands outside her Mother’s room like a puppy upset that she didn’t break down - except she very clearly communicated with him why she couldn’t do that ‘they need me. If I start now I might never be able to stop’ Buffy is being incredibly vulnerable and open in this moment the problem is it doesn’t make Riley feel like a big strong man. Or in Into The Woods when she admits she’s had a little cry by herself cue Riley puppy face, does he ask if she’s ok or how much she’s been struggling? No he doesn’t because Riley only cares about what he’ll get out of her trauma. Again Buffy is being open about how she’s been feeling but it just isn’t the way Riley wants it. The way the show tells us ‘poor Riley’ about him apparently having to cheat is terrible, Into the Woods is one of those episodes where I just can’t agree with the writers intention at all. It’s terrible the way he gaslights her. It’s a hard no from me

Spike - because this is a polite discussion I’ll keep it short 😉 I just don’t like it. At least S6 acknowledges it’s toxic, S7 you had Joss describing it as ‘healthy and mature’ except it’s not. It’s two people who look riddled with PTSD who can barely look at each other never mind carry off an actual conversation (this is marginally better late S7 but even then they don’t resolve anything really) . It’s two damaged people clinging to each other out of codependency and familiarity. Their communication with each other is so terrible they don’t even seem to know where they stand with each other by Chosen. We get scenes like ‘I’m tired of wierd mixed signals….. does it have to mean anything?’ So again even a ‘let’s put everything on the table here’ ends with them agreeing to just carry on like nothings particularly happened. Plus then there’s the ‘I’d rather she thought of me as a dead hero even if she’s grieving’ signalling that Spike cares about his own ego than Buffy’s feelings

Hard no on any of them as endgame but I can appreciate the growth they all offer her. I’ll always be Team Cookie Dough and think this is one of her best moments when she finally acknowledges it’s ok to still be working things out and that she might not ever settle down and that’ll be ok. Stopping blaming herself entirely for toxic relationships. Yep Team Cookie Dough all the way

Although I also think post Chosen her and Faith have the platform to have a really great relationship and this is also my headcanon ending. I could write for an obnoxiously long time as to why I think it would be great for both of them

KaitKat

Potential
I like you believe that non of the relationships in the show should be the person/vampire Buffy ends up with. In new TV shows ships seem to be simple, but a popular couple together or set them up with someone short term as part of a process to create friction or a slow burn with the more popular ship. Buffy on the other hand doesn’t do any of this, her relationships even the ones that were always meant to be short term were all introduced for her growth as the show is her journey, it’s honestly one of my favorite things about the show.

Buffy/Angel I like Angel as a character and while these two seem to always consider each other their soulmates, probably because they didn’t grow apart they had circumstances like a gypsy curse that helped break them up they didn’t get real closure, to me though they seemed more like a high school obsessive love. She loved him more than she ever loved anyone but I don’t know that she ever really knew him, I can remember the episode when Buffy tells Angel that she loves him and my thought was “When did this happen? Did it happen off screen?” She begins to completely lose herself in this love to the point where she needs to let him go.

Buffy/Riley It’s nice for Buffy to see that not all relationships need to be doom and gloom but Buffy and Riley have no chemistry, however I still think the relationship is important and she learns something from it. I will start by saying Riley’s behavior in Into the Woods is disgusting but his feelings about not being needed are valid, Buffy doesn’t let him in the only time she says she loves him is when she is rubbing Angel’s nose in it. Xander was out of line with some of what he said but Buffy needed to hear some of it so that when she had her next chance at love she could find a balance between losing herself in the relationship and not letting them in. For the record I do not want Buffy to catch the helicopter and apologize I want her to use these lesions on someone worthy.

Buffy/Spike This relationship can be toxic but at the end of Chosen when Buffy tells Spike she loves him that’s the first time she says it since Angel left. I never thought that was healthy to have your heart belong to your ex to the point where you can’t tell the person you’re with that you love them. If nothing else this gave me hope that Buffy can move forward.

I don’t want Buffy to end up with a vampire, I love the Mayer’s speech in choices. I also loved Buffy’s cookie dough speech in Chosen it showed a very real maturity.

BuffyNvrForgets
BuffyNvrForgets
We have a lot of team Cookie Dough over here! High fives, all around! Everyone is putting so much thought into this, it's so awesome.
P

Paulrina

Angel(season 1-3):
Her obsession with him is annoying.I don't think She is really loved him.DB and SMG have lack chemistry.It was boring to watch.And Exteremly unhealthy.Angel is better without Buffy

Riley (season 4-5):
They were not well-matched.His only purpose was being a normal love interest.And The "chemistry" between MB and SMG is worse than SMG and DB.But This is probably my favorite since S4 is my favorite season.Still He is better without her

Spike (season 6-7):
Oh Man.This ship is EQUALLY bad as Bangel.Maybe even worse.Buffy Summers deserved better.And This ship ruined Spike's character.He is better without her too.

Buffy is better without them.And They are better without Buffy.

T
thrasherpix
People also get onto Xander for being jealous of Angel (though Spike being jealous is fine), but not Angel over Xander (and Riley). Glad he was just as patronizing to adults in his own series showing he wasn't that way to Buffy for being a kid

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
I liked the cookie dough option for Buffy but it really annoyed me that they had her say that in the last episode of the show when imo that should have been the vibe from like season 5 onwards. In my mind a lot of Buffy's story in season 7 revolves around Spike when it shouldn't and then they have Angel show up yes to give Buffy the amulet but it's clearly also to have Buffy give the message that she could see her and Angel together again in the future.
So that takes away a lot from the cookie dough speech's message, it's not enough to just have Buffy say that half an hour before the show ends when they've been actively weighing her character down with ships.

BuffyNvrForgets

Slayerette
I liked the cookie dough option for Buffy but it really annoyed me that they had her say that in the last episode of the show when imo that should have been the vibe from like season 5 onwards. In my mind a lot of Buffy's story in season 7 revolves around Spike when it shouldn't and then they have Angel show up yes to give Buffy the amulet but it's clearly also to have Buffy give the message that she could see her and Angel together again in the future.
So that takes away a lot from the cookie dough speech's message, it's not enough to just have Buffy say that half an hour before the show ends when they've been actively weighing her character down with ships.
YES. Okay, this is so true.

I didn't like that all of season 7, even though they weren't technically in a relationship, Buffy kept hanging out with/cuddling with Spike, acting as if he was the only one in the world who understood her.

The cookie dough speech really should have been something brewing through the entire season, at least, if not--as you say--from season 5 onwards.

If she says "Hey, maybe I haven't met my guy yet. I'm okay waiting" and then less than 40 minutes later "professes her love" to some guy she's been flirting with the past season, it doesn't really track.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
YES. Okay, this is so true.

I didn't like that all of season 7, even though they weren't technically in a relationship, Buffy kept hanging out with/cuddling with Spike, acting as if he was the only one in the world who understood her.

The cookie dough speech really should have been something brewing through the entire season, at least, if not--as you say--from season 5 onwards.

If she says "Hey, maybe I haven't met my guy yet. I'm okay waiting" and then less than 40 minutes later "professes her love" to some guy she's been flirting with the past season, it doesn't really track.

Exactly I think to really sell the cookie dough speech there should have been more of a detachment between Buffy and Spike in season 7 for sure but in reality they couldn't even write Buffy as being detached from Spike a day after the attempted rape- Buffy not only takes Dawn to stay with him but she looks sad/disappointed when she finds out he left town. So I guess it tracks that Buffy fell completely prey to Spike who was crazy for a while and with a soul when she didn't even want the soulless clearly dangerous version to be gone.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Bene Gesserit
Black Thorn
I honestly believe that Buffy and Faith would've made a GREAT couple. Angel was too complicated, Spike wasn't exactly trustworthy, and Riley was threatened by her strength of character.

Then again, Willow would be a good choice too. Friendship is the cornerstone of great relationships.

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
And with that, what do YOU think?
Let the debate begin!
What do I think? In regards to who Buffy should be with? Well, I'm a huge die hard, ride or die Spuffy, so of course I believe Spike is the best choice. He's her soulmate and endgame.

That said, I don't at this point care to debate it. I did that for years. Got really old. No one else Buffy could be with, or has been with, threatens my stance at all because I know if she doesn't end up with Spike, she should have.

BuffyNvrForgets
BuffyNvrForgets
I respect that. Nicely said.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
As I am, and always have been, one of the biggest Bangel Shippers ever, I will always go with Angel. Buffy herself has stated canonically that he is the person she loved most, and she's indicated many times that he is the one she would choose if she could. Similarly (yet also in opposition) to @Joan the Vampire Slayer I mostly stay out of ship wars these days, as I know Buffy belongs with Angel ;)

That being said, and as much as I dislike the direction his character went in, I actually think Riley was her healthiest relationship, at least in Season 4. Once they both knew the others' "secret identity" they were a very stable couple for a while, with healthy communication and genuine affection. It's just a pity that in Season 5 Riley let his insecurities take over.

We all know I violently dislike Spuffy, I don't need to elaborate further on that.

I understand why people ship Buffy/Faith, but I can't get on board with that for similar reasons to Spuffy ie I think Faith has victimised Buffy too much for it to ever be a healthy or equal relationship. Also, while I can definitely see the attraction on Faith's side, I've never seen any on Buffy's side plus I've never really thought that Buffy ever truly liked or accepted Faith, even before Faith went evil.

BuffyNvrForgets
BuffyNvrForgets
I agree with you. That's part of the reason I wanted to make this a specifically POLITE and CIVIL place to discuss! We should all be able to express our opinions without any nasty fighting. :) Thus far it has all gone according to plan.
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Definitely agree about Buffy/Faith. It's weird to me when fans are argue that Buffy was attracted to Faith - like that's a reach, you know?

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
As I am, and always have been, one of the biggest Bangel Shippers ever, I will always go with Angel. Buffy herself has stated canonically that he is the person she loved most, and she's indicated many times that he is the one she would choose if she could. Similarly (yet also in opposition) to @Joan the Vampire Slayer I mostly stay out of ship wars these days, as I know Buffy belongs with Angel ;)

That being said, and as much as I dislike the direction his character went in, I actually think Riley was her healthiest relationship, at least in Season 4. Once they both knew the others' "secret identity" they were a very stable couple for a while, with healthy communication and genuine affection. It's just a pity that in Season 5 Riley let his insecurities take over.

We all know I violently dislike Spuffy, I don't need to elaborate further on that.

I understand why people ship Buffy/Faith, but I can't get on board with that for similar reasons to Spuffy ie I think Faith has victimised Buffy too much for it to ever be a healthy or equal relationship. Also, while I can definitely see the attraction on Faith's side, I've never seen any on Buffy's side plus I've never really thought that Buffy ever truly liked or accepted Faith, even before Faith went evil.

Agree with ALL of this.

Particularly your last part. I understand those that saw something in the Buffy and Faith dynamic when upon first view but I never did and so while I can now look at it on re-watches and appreciate why some would see it there, it still isn't something that resonates with me.

I think that Faith had an interesting journey in the buffyverse and her character development and growth was fascinating to watch for me. She's a character that I've been up and down with due to her actions but value her as a character especially her friendship and connection with Angel.

However if I'm on board with Buffy still being cookie dough and not ending up with Angel, I m SO at the point where I just want it to be someone new an who hasn't hurt her along the way.
As much as I dislike Spike, he was a demon without a soul and even though he says he loves Buffy, as a soulless demon, it would never be a healthy love that he could give to her.

Faith is a human that HAS a soul and wanted to destroy Buffy. And even Buffy acknowledges to herself that what between her and Faith cut her deeply. Of course it's great that they have managed to put that behind them and have grown as people and slayers and have gained a better appreciation and understanding of each other. They aren't the same people they were back when they first met and when it all came crashing down around them but I just don't want Buffy to be in another relationship where they have this big emotional baggage between them. Yes Faith understands Buffy in a way no one else can because of their shared burdens being a slayer but that really for me isn't the end all and be all. And I kind of feel this way about her being with Willow but then again I loved their deep friendship and while I know the need to encourage more LGBTQ relationships on TV shows, I think showing women and men having beautiful, strong and meaningful friendships is just as valid.

Last edited:

Plasma

Not Lurking, Standing About. Whole different vibe.
Staff member
I’ve never really been into Faith/Buffy. I think when it comes down to it, Faith has done so much morally reprehensible stuff to Buffy, that I really don’t see them ever being involved with each other. The way she was all over “Angelus” and taunted Buffy about “stealing her boyfriend” is one of many examples of Faith just bein’ a jerk! I think it would have been a lot to swallow for Buffy and Faith to be involved, especially considering there’s no “soul card” in play to explain Faith’s actions. She just made a series of bad/evil decisions.

I’m a Spuffy from top to bottom :). If I had to say why I’m Spuffy over Bangel, it would come down to the fact that Spike fought for his own soul and Angel didn’t.

Angel was ensouled due to a curse. Knowing that Angelus is underneath Angel and is only being held back by a wall of morality makes me seriously wonder if Angelus is who Angel really is, but Angel is who he pretends to be. Also hurts the Bangel case for me when you consider that if Bangel happens, Angelus is guaranteed to show up.

Spike on the other hand loves and cares for Buffy with or without a soul. By the time of S5 & 6, chip or no chip, Spike seemed to genuinely like being around the Scoobies and clearly loved Buffy. Post-ensoulment, Spike was the only one that stuck with Buffy through the good and bad times and was always supportive of her. He even made the choice to sacrifice his life to save the entire world. Spike just was a better person than Angel by the end, so I’m in Camp Spuffy.

Also, no offense to Angel, but I mean c’mon, Spike has better jokes and a good sense of humor! :D

Bop

Scooby
Sineya

I used to think this way a few years ago but now that I've really digested everything I think a lot of what people (and I) used to interpret as Buffy not liking or accepting Faith is really just a combination of Buffy's personality, that she doesn't like to share, she doesn't like having another person so similar to her around (at first anyway) and also just because Faith is a complicated person and Buffy doesn't know how to handle it a lot of the time. It's like how in Real Me Buffy doesn't really like having Dawn around but I'd never say that means she doesn't like Dawn it's just that Dawn is getting under her skin for multiple reasons.

Ultimately though Buffy gives Faith way too much understanding for it to be believable that she plain doesn't like her, like in Consequences when Faith frames Buffy for the murder of the deputy mayor to Giles, Buffy calms down quickly enough from that to still clarify to Giles that it was an accident anyway and Faith's freaking out over it. Not to mention when the council take Faith, I think it really shows who cared about Faith because Willow is the one more than happy to leave it there and let Faith go but Buffy- even after the framing and Faith attacking Xander- says they have to help her.
I mean sure you could say Buffy is just a nice person and she is but knowing Buffy and how she can act as a teenager does sometimes I think this goes beyond that.

Plasma
Plasma
Kathy was right. Buffy needed to learn that it’s share time now!
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
^ God, I was thinking the same thing 😅

Antho

Scooby
I do wonder something : does Buffy love Spike in season 6 ? I’m torn but I think she has feeling for him. It means that she slept, has feelings for a soulless demon. If Buffy « loves » or has feelings for who Spike is in season 6, that version of him soulless, then what is the difference the soul makes ? She already loves him without it and he also loves her. He doesn’t change that much after the soul. At least with Angel I clearly see the difference. Spike he basically stays the same.

BuffyNvrForgets

Slayerette
I do wonder something : does Buffy love Spike in season 6 ? I’m torn but I think she has feeling for him. It means that she slept, has feelings for a soulless demon. If Buffy « loves » or has feelings for who Spike is in season 6, that version of him soulless, then what is the difference the soul makes ? She already loves him without it and he also loves her. He doesn’t change that much after the soul. At least with Angel I clearly see the difference. Spike he basically stays the same.
See, I don’t think she “loves” him in season 6. Not at all. She hates him, and hates that she keeps making the choice to be with him. Her feelings are conflicting, sure, because she has some form of affection, but it’s a pretty twisted kind. She uses and mistreats him, and he does it right back.

In season 7, she definitely (at least by the end) loves him. I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s a romantic love, though that’s what they try to imply.

Antho

Scooby
See, I don’t think she “loves” him in season 6. Not at all. She hates him, and hates that she keeps making the choice to be with him. Her feelings are conflicting, sure, because she has some form of affection, but it’s a pretty twisted kind. She uses and mistreats him, and he does it right back.
I totally agree. That’s a vision of things I completely share but like I said I’m torn because I also think she has a thing for Spike in that season. She accepted to have sex with him. Sex for me is important, it’s a form of love. You have sex with someone you are attracted to and Attraction is also a form of love. Plus there are others things like she is jealous of that girl he comes with at the wedding of Xander and Anya. I don’t know if it’s LOVE in a pure romantic sense but she feels something for him. And for me if she thinks at him this way, do all theses things with him whereas he is souless.. that means she can appreciate him, have feeling for him without his soul.. so when he does have it in season 7 what changes ? He still loves her, Buffy’s feelings for him are still there.. the relationship is less toxic but I don’t think it’s because of the soul !

AstridDante

Potential

In season 7, she definitely (at least by the end) loves him. I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s a romantic love, though that’s what they try to imply.
I don’t think she hates him in S6. She hadn’t really hated him since Intervention when she saw what he did for Dawn. They also had the beginning of a tentative friendship (if a little one sided) before they started sleeping together. In her own words in Dead Things - he is everything I hate, he is everything I am “supposed” to be against’. I think the wording is significant. She is conflicted. She feels he is everything she should stand against in her role as a Slayer but she grew to have feelings for him and she admits this in Seeing Red.
Post automatically merged:

I totally agree. That’s a vision of things I completely share but like I said I’m torn because I also think she has a thing for Spike in that season. She accepted to have sex with him. Sex for me is important, it’s a form of love. You have sex with someone you are attracted to and Attraction is also a form of love. Plus there are others things like she is jealous of that girl he comes with at the wedding of Xander and Anya. I don’t know if it’s LOVE in a pure romantic sense but she feels something for him. And for me if she thinks at him this way, do all theses things with him whereas he is souless.. that means she can appreciate him, have feeling for him without his soul.. so when he does have it in season 7 what changes ? He still loves her, Buffy’s feelings for him are still there.. the relationship is less toxic but I don’t think it’s because of the soul !
I think she found an appreciation for him from Intervention. They also shared an understanding when she came back from the grave. She tried to shut down any emotional connection when they were sleeping together and no longer talked to him like she did before. However no matter how hard she tried to keep the relationship a sex only affair, she did develop feelings which she admitted to eventually. I think the feelings were obvious in any event. Look at the door scene in Dead Things, the longing in Hells Bells and the ‘did you cry?’ reaction in Normal Again. I think Buffy has always associated sex and love. She tried not to do that in this relationship but I think sleeping with him for months complicated her feelings for him.

Last edited:

Antho

Scooby
I think she found an appreciation for him from Intervention. They also shared an understanding when she came back from the grave. She tried to shut down any emotional connection when they were sleeping together and no longer talked to him like she did before. However no matter how hard she tried to keep the relationship a sex only affair, she did develop feelings which she admitted to eventually. I think the feelings were obvious in any event. Look at the door scene in Dead Things, the longing in Hells Bells and the ‘did you cry?’ reaction in Normal Again. I think Buffy has always associated sex and love. She tried not to do that in this relationship but I think sleeping with him for months complicated her feelings for him.
Yeah I totally agree. I think it’s fair to say that Buffy doesn’t hate Spike, but she does actually hates herself for not hating him. At least on season 6 That’s how I see it. For me she has a thing for him in that season, an emotional connection like you said.

it also proves my point that Buffy did have feelings for a Souless Spike.. she allowed a souless spike to have sex with her so there is some confidence from her to him in my eyes.. so the soul doesn’t change much things between them IMO. Spike doesn’t change that much after getting his soul, and Buffy’s feelings were already there since season 6 when he was souless so.. yeah I stand to my statement the soul doesn’t have a big impact. I guess some would say Spuffy is less toxic and far more mature in season 7 and probably input that change on the count of the soul but I don’t.. I just think it’s the natural evolution of the Spuffy relationship. It’s changes that I see could have happened without Spike getting his soul back.

Top Bottom