1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy - Return of the Vampire Slayer

Discussion in 'Introduction To The Watcher Diaries' started by WillowFromBuffy, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

So you're saying I shouldn't be expecting a Spangel end-game? :) I prefer Andrew to Angel in your story, and I never ever thought I 'd say that. (That's not a bad thing) I am worried about Bobby and William and hope Dru's minions don't hurt them. I'm glad Willow didn't accept Kernnedy's offer, and cannot wait to see what she does next. Willow is in 'I'm in charge' mode and I like it

WillowFromBuffy likes this.
  2. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

[​IMG]

Chapter 8 - Babysitter

Dawn drifted slowly into consciousness. The first thing she became aware of was the smell of flesh. Then there was the heavy arm that pressed upon her. She pulled the hand towards her and kissed it. The feeling was not smothering or restraining. She was happy to be where she was.

So much had happened in the last few months. She had moved away from her sister. It was not as if she had had much of a choice. There was no longer a natural place for her within the fractured Scooby Gang. It was time to strike out on her own. So, she had gone off to university to study psychology. It had been terrifying at first. The campus was enormous. Everyone else seemed so adjusted and self-assured. Dawn had felt completely lost and ignored in a maelstrom of social activity. The courses were brutal, the teachers seemed to speak an alien language and the books were clearly not written to be understood by human beings.

Slowly, however, thing had started to get better. She had joined a study group. They would gather and read in the mornings and go out to clubs in the evenings. Things started to get easier. She felt like an entirely new person. Suddenly, she was confident and charming. In class, she was clever and quick.

Last night she had finally approached her crush. Before she had spoken to him, she had given him the opportunity to watch her work her lower body on the dancefloor. None of the other girls had learnt to dance from masked Broadway demons. They had none of her game. She felt as if she could have had any boy in that club, but her mind was set on Adam. She went and spoke to him, he bought her a drink, they talked, they went to an after party together, he followed her home, but his apartment was closer…

The first try was disappointing. He did not last long. Dawn was understanding, because he was so cute when he apologized. They waited until he was ready to go again. This time Dawn was on top, and she forced him to pace himself. When he drew his final sigh of pleasure, she was ready to finish herself off. They collapsed onto each other. Was it his first time, too? Dawn didn’t know.

So, this was what it was like to be a woman – living on her own, making her own friends, succeeding in her studies, sleeping with men… It was a good feeling. Dawn felt proud. She was so used to being the kid in a gang of older almost-adults.

The arm stirred. Its owner was waking up. Dawn rolled around to face him, so that he would see her when he opened his eyes. He blinked. He smiled. He looked amused … almost confused.

“Hello,” he said in a strange voice.

“Hello, you,” Dawn said, full of happiness.

“Hello to you, too.”

Dawn felt her smile falter a little. “I hope it is all right that I stayed,” she said. “I thought you would want me to.”

“Of course,” he assured her. “You are a very pleasant sight to wake up to.”

“What do you want to do today?” Dawn asked him. “I have classes, but I could be convinced to take the day off.”

Adam smiled awkwardly. “Sure,” he said. “There is just one thing … I don’t mean to be rude.” He scratched the back of his head. “I may have had a little too much to drink last night. I don’t remember…”

“My name..?” Dawn felt a pain in her stomach, but she steeled herself. “It is Dawn. I may only have said it once.”

He laughed nervously. “Hello, Dawn,” he said as if meeting her for the first time. “We must have had a good time last night.”

Dawn sat up. Her heart dropped into her stomach. “You don’t remember … anything.” It was not a question. It was a realisation. Adam … she was a stranger to him.

The sheets, their clothes on the floor, the smell of their bodies … The room was littered with evidence of what they had done. How could he not remember?

“I am very sorry,” Adam said. “I had not planned on meeting someone. If I had known, I would not have drunk so much.”

“You did not seem drunk,” Dawn said.

There was no point being angry. Nothing Dawn said could make Adam remember again. All she could do was leave. She did not want to start a long-term relationship on such an awkward note. She dressed herself in yesterday’s clothes and left. It did not strike her before she was outside. This had been her first time and it had almost been perfect. The realisation of what could have been hit her like a punch to the gut, where her heart also currently resided.

All the pride she had felt was gone. People could easily see that she was wearing clothes suited for a Saturday evening on a Sunday morning. Everybody had to realise what she had done. Perhaps they could even smell it. She hugged her arms tightly and walked as fast as she could back to her dorm room.

When she came to the building in which she lived, she entered the wrong room. It had to be the wrong room, because the room was empty. There was no bedding on the bed. The shelves were all empty. Why then did her key fit? She stepped outside and looked at the room number. It was the right room. She had lived here for two months. She was here only yesterday. Where was all her stuff?

Dawn fell against the wall and sank down to the floor. Her shaking hand rummaged through her purse and picked out her cell phone. By instinct, she dialled the old phone number to their house in Sunnydale, but then she remember that it was buried in stone and dust. A creeping fear of rootlessness came upon her. If she lost her dorm room, she had no “home” to run home to. Buffy was not in a position to offer her much help. Still, Dawn needed to talk to her. She found her sister’s number in her cell phone’s phonebook.

Buffy answered. “Hello! I can’t really speak right now.”

Dawn merely cried into the receiver.

Buffy sounded like she was among a crowd of people. “Who is this?” she asked.

“It is me,” Dawn manged to say.

“Hello?”

“Buffy, it is Dawn!”

Dawn heard someone ask Buffy a question to which Buffy responded, “I don’t know. There is no answer.”

“BUFFY!”

Buffy hung up. A single, prolonged tone was all Dawn could hear. She dropped the phone and buried her face in her hands. When she looked up, everything was dark. She searched for the light switch. For twenty years, she searched for the light switch…

Spike drove along the highway as fast as his motorbike could take him. He had to find a motel before dawn. The wind blew through his thin shirt. It was cold, even for vampire. Suddenly, he felt something peculiar. It was as if a pair of tiny arms were clutching his waist from behind. He pulled his bike to a screeching halt and looked over his shoulder. There was no one there, but he heard the sound of something rolling along the road. It was a football helmet. It must have been attached to his bike. Spike picked it up. It smelt of Drusilla. She must have strapped it to the back of his seat, before coming to meet him in the pub.

The old bird has finally lost it, Spike thought. Then he was struck by a feeling of déjà vu so powerful that the helmet fell from his hand. A memory was trying to crawl forth from the back of his mind. The hag put it there for a reason, he realised. Clever Dru. Almost more to you than you let on. He laughed to himself.

A scream drew Spike’s attention. A burly man was pushing a spindly woman against the hood of a car. He held a knife against her throat. Spike stopped and studied the two for a moment. It shamed him that he had ever been capable of such petty cruelty. The man was much larger than the woman was. He had a knife and she did not. There was no challenge to the act. What is violence without glory? Should there not at least be some sport?

“Give the knife to the bird and see how you fare then,” Spike shouted to the man.

The man spun around, shocked at being watched. He pointed his knife at Spike. “Mind your own business,” he said. “Unless you want to be cut, too.”

Spike grinned. He swaggered over to the man. The blade came down. Spike did not even bother moving out of the way. The pain of the cut filled him with bloodlust. He grabbed the man with both his hands and ripped his neck open with his fangs. The scream of the woman filled Spike’s ears. The man only gurgled. Spike drank deeply. It was not chicken. It was pork and beans. Still, it would have to do. He let the dried out carcass drop to his feet.

“Your welcome, luv,” Spike said to the woman as he wiped his mouth.

The woman’s eyes looked like they would fall out of her gaunt sockets. “You just killed him…”

“He had it coming,” Spike said. He pulled the dead man’s spring blade knife from his own chest. It had gotten stuck between his ribs. “Take this, luv,” he said as he handed it to the woman. “Size doesn’t matter. Not when you have a knife, anyway. Remember that the next time one of these fools comes around.”

The woman put the knife into her pocket. Spike saw that she had needle marks on her arm.

“Do you think you could put me up for … the day?” Spike asked. “I need a place to stay.”

“I usually charge for that,” the woman muttered.

“But since I am piss poor, and since I saved your life … or something, and since I will not be needing any of your services.” Spike lit a cigarette. “You will let me stay at your place for free.”

“It is not really a place,” the woman said. “Just a room.”

“Sounds perfect,” Spike enthused. “I am not picky. I just need a place with a roof. Trying to avoid a tan, you see.”

They arrived at the woman’s place. It was a single room in an abandoned old motel. Spike sat down in the corner. He felt beat, despite having recently fed. The stiffness from his long slumber had not worn off yet. The woman sat herself down on the bed. The sheets were dirty. Spike felt slightly repulsed. Everything smelt rotten, especially the walls.

They started talking. It was refreshing to talk to someone other than Drusilla. Drusilla was making Spike go as mad as she was. I’ve just eaten an old married couple, Spike. I am so very strong now, Spike. I am going to feed on your girlfriend, Spike. Spike pressed his hands against his temples, trying to forcibly exorcize Drusilla from his head. It did not work. He tried listening to the woman whose room he was in. There was something calming about her voice, even if it was hoarse and jagged.

“I had a … er … friend, who used to do what you do,” Spike said as the evening drew close. “She bragged endlessly about how much money she could make.”

“I make a little,” the woman said. “But not too much.”

Spike looked at her. “But there is a man, isn’t there, whom you share your money with?”

The woman looked at her lap. “Yes…”

“Why?”

The woman sighed. “That is just how things are done.”

Spike laughed. “I used to run with this little gang,” he said. “Our leader was a right prick. Every day I dreamt about beating him senseless … or dusting him … killing him, I mean.” He took a deep drag of his cigarette. “Do you know why I never did it?”

“No…”

“Fear,” Spike said. “That was all it was. He even told me, if you want something, you have only to take it. It took me a long time to understand what that meant.”

The woman looked confused.

“You’re in a good position, you are,” Spike told her. “You may not realise it, but having nothing, that puts things in perspective. It forces you to realise the capabilities inherent in yourself.”

“Huh?”

Spike leant in close to her. “How would your boss man react if you snuck into his bedroom while he slept and pointed a gun at his braincage?”

The woman shrugged. “He would likely laugh,” she said. “He is crazy. Not easily scared…”

Spike leapt to his feet and gestured with his hand. “So he wakes up. He sees you standing there, pointing your gun. He tries to laugh … to seem calm. Then he hears you cock the gun. He sees the rabid expression on your face. Now he knows he may die.”

“Then what?”

Spike lifted his hands up in triumph. “Then you take the ****ers money and get the hell out of dodge.”

“I couldn’t do that,” the woman said.

“Saying it makes it true,” Spike mumbled. He pulled back the blinds and saw that the sun was fully down. “Got to run, luv.”

“Can I ask where you are going?”

Spike sighed. “I don’t have a pimp … but I have a mistress, and there is no escaping her. Her talons are embedded so deep in my flesh that I often struggle to distinguish her will from my own.”

“What’s her name?”

Spike lit a cigarette. “I am not sure,” he said. “Some days I think it is one, but it may be the other. My mind is a little confused these days and she is very clever.”

Spike left the room and walked out into the empty parking lot. He felt a presence hidden among the shadows, though he could not see anything.

“Tell me the story,” the wind seemed to say.

“What story?” Spike sneered back at no one.

“The one about the girl in the coal bin.”

Spike groaned. “I don’t like that story anymore.” He peered into the shadows. “Who are you, anyway?”

“You tell me.”

There was no use standing around talking to ghosts. Actual, real people needed saving. Whatever repressed memory was trying to press its way into his tormented mind had to wait until Buffy’s sons were safe. There was no time for introspection. The moon was up, and Dru’s vampire goons would be on the prowl.

Knock, knock.

A bearded man opened the door. He was holding a bottle of beer in his hand.

“Can I come in?” Spike asked. “I need to use your phone.”

“Piss off!” the man said.

Spike grabbed his throat. “Pretty please!”

The man hit Spike over the head with his beer bottle, smashing it to pieces.

Spike frowned. “Ouch! Don’t do that!” He shook the shards from his hair. “Once again: Can I come in, please!”

The man nodded. “Be my guest,” he gasped.

“Thank you!” Spike dropped the man to the floor. “Follow me inside, Matt,” he said. “I am going to save your sons.”

Matt scrambled after him. “What the **** are you talking about?”

Spike’s muddy biker boots trampled into the living room. There were empty beer bottles and a smoking ashtray on the table. The place stank of lonely old man. There were pictures all over the walls and on the shelves. Buffy were in several of them. There was a picture of her in her white dress on her wedding day, looking up at Matt with an expression Spike remembered and dearly missed. There were several pictures of Buffy with her sons or with people who were probably part of Matt’s family.

“This is truly terrifying,” Spike said.

Matt raised an eyebrow. “What is?”

“Your ol’ lady,” Spike said. “I mean, Buffy. Where is she?”

Matt’s eyes narrowed. “How do you know her?” His voice was not friendly.

Spike smiled mordantly. “In every way. Now tell me where she is. It is important.”

“The hell I won’t,” Matt yelled. “You better tell me how you know my wife!”

Afterwards, Spike was uncertain if he had meant to hit Matt in the face or if it just happened. Anyway, Matt ended up on the floor with a broken and bleeding nose. Spike had ascertained that Matt and Buffy’s marriage was probably in a bit of rut. Still, Buffy would likely be unimpressed when she learned he had beaten up her husband. He had to make sure she understood it was absolutely necessary. It was not just because Matt was so annoying.

Before he left, Spike stole Matt’s cell phone. It took him several minutes to work out how to use the modern smartphone. Sleeping for the better part of 20 years had made him even more of a technological caveman than he already was. Eventually, he managed to call Buffy, but there was no answer. Spike did not know her phone was lost in the South American jungle. Then he called Bobby, Buffy’s eldest son.

“Hey, dad,” Bobby answered.

“Hi there, son,” Spike said in his best American accent. “Where are you? I need to speak to you in private.”

“At the Silver Club. It is not really…”

Spike hung up and straddled his motorcycle. The boy was at a nightclub. Drusilla’s goons would likely come for him there. Spike revved the engine up and his motorcycle span forward.

Outside the nightclub, Spike saw the same young man he had seen in Buffy’s family photos. It had to be Bobby. He had his arm around a woman, possibly a vampire. People were lurking in the darkness around them. They were definetly vampires. Young and stupid ones.

Spike swaggered over to the woman Bobby was walking with and yanked her by the shoulder. “Sorry, luv. Need to speak to the kid.”

The woman hissed and bared her fangs at him. Spike thrust a piece of wood into her chest, making her explode. Bobby screamed in shock and horror. Spike had no time to explain himself. The other vampires were attacking.

“Drusilla told us about you,” one of the vamps said. “You have strayed, brother. You are no longer worthy of serving the mistress.”

Spike took a hit on the left cheek, and then, like a good Messiah, he took another one on the right. The pain was intoxicating. He grabbed the attacking vampire by the shoulders and gave him an unchristly headbutt – forehead to nose. His would-be opponent tumbled backwards and hit his head on the edge of the sidewalk.

“You have no idea,” Spike screamed hysterically. “You have no idea of the carnage Drusilla and I created. The angels would tug themselves to sleep at night watching our depravity with envy.”

The vampire jumped to his feet. Spike casually grabbed his throat and threw him head first against a lamppost, making it bend like a paper clip.

Spike dusted his hands. “Anyone else who tries to murder my girl’s son, supports Man City or likes the poetry of Robert Frost can expect similar treatment.”

A number of other vampires appeared from the shadows. They held their arms up menacingly and flared their teeth.

“What is this freak show?” Spike asked. He pulled a water pipe from a wall. “Here is what I am going to do, kids. I am not going to stake you. I will hack you all to pieces and leave your undead limbs to wait for sunrise.”

The attacking vampires did not heed Spike’s warning. They fell upon him like piranhas. He shook them off as if they were leg-humping chihuahuas and battered them all bloody with his water pipe.

“What is is?” Spike screamed. “You’re all tired of Whac-A-Mole? I am going for full score tonight. I am gonna win my girl a bloody teddy bear!”

Spike stopped once he realised he had made the last remaining vampire look like something found in the dumpster behind an Italian restaurant. He surveyed the scene. Some vampires were dusted, others merely incapacitated and some had undoubtedly fled.

Spike turned to Bobby, who was shivering against a wall. “Did you like the show, kid?”

Bobby held his hands up in front of his face.

“Oh!” Spike wiped some blood from his face. “I should perhaps explain that I am the good guy.” He extended his hand. “Name’s Spike. Here to rescue yah!”

“You’re crazy!” Bobby stammered.

“Yeah,” Spike conceded. “True. But have you considered this?” He patted Bobby on the shoulder. “We live in a crazy world and somehow we must all learn to roll with the punches.”

Bobby just stared at him. Spike sighed, lit a cigarette in his mouth and handed it to Bobby.

“Listen, our kid, there are some things I need to tell you about your mum.”

Bobby held the cigarette between his shaking fingers and took a deep drag. “Were you … dating once?”

“Dating!?” Spike laughed. “That is such a trivial term. We were star crossed …” He stopped himself, remembering he was meeting Buffy’s kid for the first time. “I mean … we went out a few times … back in the day.”

“Back in the day?” Bobby looked at Spike discerningly. “When was that? You a little young to have…”

“Your mother, even if she was the Slayer, sometimes dated…” Spike spat, remembering Angel. “I mean … she dated me, even though … I’m a vampire. So actually, I am older than she is. Much older.”

The cigarette dropped from Bobby’s lips. “A vampire?”

“All right…” Spike held his hands up. “I can read that reaction one of two ways. Either you are shocked that your mummy dated a vampire, which I must admit, I would be too … or … Buffy never told you about vampires.”

“Can I say yes to both?”

“Yes,” Spike said. “I guess you can. We need to keep this conversation rolling, because we have another kid to save. In short, your mum used to be known as the greatest warrior in the world and now my ex-girlfriend has come to kill you and your brother.”

“I thought you said mum was your ex?”

Spike sighed. “Here’s some free advice, kid. Stick to one girl. It will make your life a helluva lot easier.” He shrugged. “Until she dumps you, of course, then you’re ****ed…”

Bobby cleared his throat. “This is all a little too much for me to take in all at once, but … is my brother in danger?”

“Most definitely,” Spike said. “But you and I will rescue our kid.”

They rode together on Spike’s motorcycle to William’s dorm room. Spike figured the kid was all right. He calmed down quickly enough. It could be partly because he was piss drunk. Still, Spike was sure he noticed an adventurous spark in Bobby. As they walked the stairs up to William’s room, Spike entertained Bobby with stories of his and Buffy’s adventures together.

“And Buffy was like … I have a troll hammer … take that hell-bitch! KABOOM!” Spike waved his hands for emphasis.

“Stop!” Bobby yelled.

“What?”

“There’s a sock tied to the doorknob.”

“So?”

“My baby brother has finally gotten a girl home with him.”

Spike smacked himself across the forehead. “Boys, these days,” he groaned. “I lost my virginity at 28 to a woman I stayed with for over a century.”

Bobby grinned. “Man, that is weak.”

“Hey!” Spike pointed his finger at Bobby. “You know I could rip the spine from your neck and drink the juice, right?”

“As if you would kill the son of one of the only two chicks you ever boned…”

Spike smacked the back off Bobby’s head. “Don’t speak about your mother like that. And for your information…” He counted on his fingers. “I’m up to four, actually, which is probably more than…”

“I slept with four chicks before I graduated High School.”

“You sure you’re not Angel’s kid?” Spike grumbled.

“What?”

“Nevermind.”

They stood and stared at each other for a moment. Spike had changed his mind about the kid. He was a little brat.

“Ey, Spike!” Bobby said after a while.

“Yeah?”

“Something just occurred to me.”

“Seeing as how the vampire who came for me seduced me first…”

“You don’t think?”

Spike landed a kick on the door that broke the wood into splinters. William and a young woman lay cuddled together on the bed. They both jumped as bits of the door flew towards them. William rolled away and fell off the side of the bed.

“Bobby, what the hell are you doing?” he shouted as he recognised his brother.

“We are here to rescue you,” Bobby yelled back.

Spike stood on the threshold. “We believe that woman is going to kill you,” Spike said. His hands touched the invisible wall before him, as if he were a French mime. “Invite us in and we will kill her for you!”

William threw a book at him. “Bobby, get the **** out of her and take your friend with you. Are you high?”

The woman grinned at Spike. She grasped William’s long red hair in her hand and pulled his head backwards, before bringing her lips and fangs down to his exposed neck. Blood quickly started pouring onto the floor. William screamed. Spike picked up a splinter from the door and handed it to Bobby.

“Run inside and jam this into her heart,” he instructed. “Make sure you penetrate the ribcage.”

“What?” Bobby backed away. “Why me?”

“Because I cannot go in uninvited.” Spike banged his hand against the invisible wall. “Go! Save your brother!”

Bobby swallowed. He hesitated for a moment, looked at his dying brother, and then he ran inside and staked the vampire.

“The chest, not he breast, you buffoon!” Spike growled at him.

Bobby struck again. The vampire evaporated into ashy dust. William collapsed upon his bed, but he was breathing. Spike gave a thumbs up to Bobby.

“Brilliant,” he said. “Your mum would be proud.”

Bobby went over to William and shook him. William coughed. He was losing a lot of blood. Spike went down the hall and found some medical supplies. Bobby put a compression on William’s wound, which stopped the bleeding.

“What is going on, Bobby?” William whimpered as he came to.

“This man,” Bobby pointed at Spike, “is a vampire. He is saving us from other vampires. Mum is a vampire, too.”

“Your mum’s a vampire slayer,” Spike corrected him.

“Is that like a super vampire?” Bobby asked. “A day walker?”

“No,” Spike said. “A vampire slayer kills vampires.”

“… and sometimes dates them,” Bobby added.

“Hey! I am a good vampire,” Spike growled. “With a soul.”

Bobby sighed. “Apparently this guy’s other ex wants to kill us.”

“Why?” William asked.

Spike shrugged. “I think she is trying to goad your mum into a massive catfight or something. Bad idea. Your mum is ferocious.”

Bobby and William looked at each other. “He says lots of weird things about mom,” Bobby said.

“Do you know where your mother is?” Spike asked.

“She lives in an apartment not far from here,” Bobby said.

“I went to see her three times,” William said. “She is never home and her mailbox is full.”

Spike felt his heart sink. “That is not good. You two need to go into hiding.”

“I cannot go anywhere tonight,” Bobby said. “I am too drunk.”

“Me too,” William joined in.

Spike sighed. “All right,” he said. “It may be better if you travel during daytime anyway.”

Spike and the boys sat and talked for a while, but eventually they all dosed off. While dreaming, Spike became aware of a person standing above him. He felt the outline of her tall and slender form in his mind. There were feeling of anger emanating from her. “I will set you on fire,” Spike felt her say. “When you sleep.”

Spike jumped to his feet screaming and desperately patted imaginary flames with his hands. Bobby and Willam awoke and looked at him in horror. It took a while before Spike was awake enough to realise that he was not on fire.

“I am going out,” he said and stormed out of the room.

On the street, he found Drusilla. It did not surprise him the least. She always came. It did not matter if he was asleep or awake. Always, she haunted him.

“Why are you here?” he shouted at her.

“I am out jogging,” she answered. “Jogging your memory, Spikey!”

Spike pointed at this temple. “What did you put in my head, woman?”

Drusilla came forward and kissed his forehead. “There is so much in there that you have forgotten.”

Spike pushed her away. “Tell me,” he demanded.

“There is an entity,” Drusilla mused. “It has floated among the stars of limbo for many years. Now it is brought back … brought back by certain anchors.”

Spike raised an eyebrow. “Anchors?”

“You, Spike, are an anchor,” Drusilla told him. “A line extends from you to it, and I can use that line to pull the little fishy in.”

“This entity you speak of,” Spike said, “is a girl.”

“She is so much more,” Drusilla said. “She is the key to great power.”

“The key…” Spike tasted the words. “That means something.”

“I can help you find her,” Drusilla offered. “Bring her from the sky or from below. Wherever she is.”

Spike laughed. “Why would I accept your help?”

“Because the fishy will be bait for your girlfriend,” Drusilla said. “When she realises who she almost lost, she will move Heaven and Earth to get her back.”

Spike laughed. “You have no idea,” he said. “Don’t goad Buffy into a fight. She will rip you apart, Dru.”

“You would like that, wouldn’t you?” Drusilla said challengingly. “You would enjoy seeing old Dru dead.”

Spike spat. “Nothing would please me more, you crazy old hag!”

Drusilla’s smile vanished. She grabbed Spike by the wrist. With shocking strength, she twisted his arm and forced him to his knees. “I saw you first,” she hissed. “I picked you up from the gutter when even your mother hated you, because I saw a spark inside your pathetic shell.” Her eyes narrowed. “You never paid me back for that, Spikey! Could never pay me back!”
    _______

Buffy and her friends will return in Chapter 9: Harm's Way Revisited

Fool for Buffy and Priceless like this.
  3. Priceless

Another great chapter. Felt sorry for Dawn, what a let down Adam was. Great line about spending 20 years searching for the light switch, hope she eventually finds it. Loved Spike in this, you've captured his character really well. Especially like the line about Man City and Robert Frost. Where did you get the 'our kid' from? Can't wait for the next installment :)

4. WillowFromBuffy

Thank you!

Don't blame Adam. :p I asked myself, what would be the worst possible moment for Dawn to disappear from the world? Glad my Spike gets your stamp of approval. I love to see him suffer. He really needs Buffy to come help him make sense of things. I love putting slang expression into Spike's mouth. We often forget that Spike's accent is one he adopted after he became a vampire. Did you think it was weird for him to call William our kid? I don't know why I made him say that. It is our kid as in brother, not as in mine and Buffy's kid. I think Spike wants to befriend Bobby and William, because he is lonely and because they are Buffy's kids. A part of him probably wishes they were his.

I just realised I forgot to add a bit where Spike reacts to William's name. *facepalm*

5. flow

flow Will you just hold me ?

Oh my god, Dawn ! What did you do to her ? That was even worse than Buffys first and second time. And nothing but darkness after that ?

Spike is the Spike I love and of course he hates Frost :)

flow

6. Priceless

Lol poor Dawn, you picked the worst time. If she makes it back will she ever have sex again?

I love to see Spike suffer, he's so good at it. I especially love when he rails against the world for causing his misery, the big idiot :) I hope Buffy feels inclined to help him, because she wasn't in the best place when we saw her last. But he has saved her boys, so I'm hoping she's feeling grateful.

Nothing wrong with 'our kid', it's quite a northern working class phrase, but it's a thousand times better than 'cor'. I want to strangle fanfic writers who make Spike say 'cor'.

Lol I was waiting for Spike to react to Williams name, but I don't think it was even mentioned, so I'm going to head canon that Spike doesn't know the boys name :)

It was really good! You should post it on Archive of Our Own

7. WillowFromBuffy

Sorry about that. I deliberately tried to make that as horrible as possible. As with Spike, trauma seems to be an intrinsic part of Dawn's character. I will make it up to her somehow :p Don't imagine for a second, though, that I am being unbalanced. There are equally horrible things in store for certain other characters.

So glad you like Spike. He is a joy to write. Taking a break from him for a couple of chapters, but he will play a big part in the ending.
    Well, we know Spike likes Man United and that the Whirlwind escaped to York. I never heard the expression 'cor' before. What does it mean? Because I learnt English in school, I am constantly collecting slang expressions :p

I am really looking forward to writing the reunion between Spike and Buffy. As hinted in the chapter, Spike will help Drusilla summon Dawn back into reality, so Buffy may be a little confused about Spike's intentions.

Is Archive of Our Own a good fanfic site? I've never actually read any fanfiction, so I am a little lost. I was planning to enter the Reunion challenge on Elysian Fields. That starts in October.

Priceless likes this.
  8. Priceless

'Cor' is a London working class word over-used by non-Brits when they want Spike to sound surprised or in awe. He never said it in the show and if he ever says it in the comics I'll stop reading them lol

I actually use the EF site mostly, but as your fic isn't really Spuffy, I thought AO3 would be better. Really pleased you're going to be entering a fic on EF. I'll definitely read it :)

9. WillowFromBuffy

If I enter the reunion challenge, it would be with this story. Reunions is obviously a big theme so far and there are more to come. However, I do have some angst concerning how Spuffy fans will react to the fact that Spike and Buffy don't reunite until chapter 11 (probably).

I am unsure. I read a chapter from @Puppet 's story The Power of Three, and Cordelia was the only character from the show, so I suppose allowances can be made.

I do plan to make the pay off as good as possible, so patient Spuffy fans will be rewarded.

10. Priceless

This story is perfect for a 'Reunion' challenge! One of my favourite writers on EF wrote a 40 chapter fic were Buffy and Spike didn't meet till chapter 37 :)You're a good writer, with a unique voice, that's what's going to make your story successful. Believe me, I've read hundreds of Spuffy fics, yours is definitely one of the better ones :)

WillowFromBuffy: Aaaw! You make me believe in myself. I will try my very hardest to create some good Spuffy content.
  11. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy BFF of Sour Patch Kid

Sineya
    Once again, really fantastic. Buffy's son slept with 4 women before college? Parenting is not her strong suit. If it's a competition now, Dawn somehow managed to beat Buffy in the category of "Worst things that can happen when you lose your virginity." I'm really excited for whatever happens with her; the setup with the voices in Spike's head of Dawn memories was really perfect. Also I give even more props as a Spike fan; I continue to be really thrilled with the direction his story is taking. I'm proud of him for saving the kids and continuing to reject Dru. And 2 lines were especially great, the first being "You like the show?" That's just so op with his character. And then the man city and Robert Frost joke was hilarious. The last thing is I just love the way Spike talks about Buffy. It makes me do my super cheesy smile.

12. WillowFromBuffy

Aaaw! Your too kind, but thank you! It means so much.
    At least, he says he did :p I had so much planned for Buffy's children, but I don't know if I will get around to it, because there are so many other things that need to happen. Their characterisation in this chapter is a little weak. Bobby is supposed to be a somewhat douchy male version of Buffy, while William is a lot like Willow and maybe pre-vampire Spike.
    I am so happy you all approve of the way I write Spike. I like the idea that violence is so natural to him that he must be reminded that most other people find it frightening.

Fool for Buffy likes this.
  13. WillowFromBuffy

Fool for Buffy, Priceless and flow like this.
  14. WillowFromBuffy

Buffy - Return of the Vampire Slayer by WillowFromBuffy

A new chapter is ready. I will not be posting full chapters here anymore, unless someone wants me to. I am grateful to anyone who reads and/or comments. It is the feedback that keeps me going :p

This chapter is sort of self-contained. Perhaps you will find that boring. Don't worry, though. We are quickly heading towards the final act and lots of stuff will start to happen. There are some ugly surprises down the road :p

Priceless likes this.
  15. WillowFromBuffy

Hups. Something went horribly wrong with the formatting. It should be fixed now. It is no longer one long block of text.

16. WillowFromBuffy

Priceless and Fool for Buffy like this.
  17. Fool for Buffy

Sineya
    Alright I don't like signing up on fanfic websites, I just read the stories, but I tried signing up for Elysian so I could write comments on Return. But it kept telling me the code I typed didn't match and I couldn't register. So I'm telling you on here the last chapter was great, I'm glad the main characters got back to their roots (sort of) in the ranch house, especially Xander, and I'm continuing to enjoy the Spike Drusilla and Dawn developments the most. I hope Willow can get some quality redemption in the end though. Not many people on her side right now. And I'm really not sure where the ending is going and that's a good thing! I'll try to register for Elysian again when the next chapter comes out, but the same problem was happening over and over again and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

18. WillowFromBuffy

Thank you so much for your feedback and words of support @Fool for Buffy

Don't feel any pressure to sign up for EF. I am very happy to receive feedback, and it does not matter if you post it here or there. However, if you did make an EF account, the comments and likes could make my story more attractive to new readers.

I am so happy you enjoy Spike, Dru and Dawn. They are a lot of fun to write and the upcoming chapters will focus on them.

If Buffy had allowed Willow to go on the bus with her, then Willow would have been there to see Dawn appear in the photograph. That would have given Willow an opportunity to say I told you so. What Willow does next will hopefully manage to shock you all. It will complicate her relationship with certain characters, one in particular.

[​IMG]
    The heroes are coming in to their own. Xander is back in the game. Faith is kicking ass. However, they may not be prepared for what awaits.

Fool for Buffy, flow and Priceless like this.
  19. WillowFromBuffy

20. Fool for Buffy

Sineya
    It's official, Elysian hates me, so I'm reviewing on here.
    I thought the action scenes were particularly well done, better than any others so far. I like the scythe making a return since that is the symbol of Buffy's slayerness. Harmony's backstab was inevitable, so good job staying in character. Dawn may have been saved, but I am worried about how she is going to end up. Poor girl has endured so much already and her story still seems like it has more suffering left. Most importantly there was SPUFFY action that made me really happy for about 15 seconds. I know the ending is gonna be great!:D
    I have my logical ideas about who she is and what was taken, but I'm prepared for a twist as well.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017