• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy Rewatch: 1.06 The Pack

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
While enduring the annual field trip to the zoo, Xander and several other students enter the quarantined Hyena pen and become possessed by the demonic spirit of the wild animals. When Buffy notices a significant change in Xander's personality, she must figure out what happened and how to reverse it before something terrible happens.

Source: Tv.com

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
This is a decent episode.

A bit of fridge horror though. If Xander remembers everything that happened then it also means the other possessed students remember they ate Flutie. Also it seems like the students were prepared to straight up throw Lance in with the hyena which is what caused the possession to be able to take place.

Points to Xander for being willing to stand up for Lance, but given that hyenas are matriarchal and led by females, should Willow have been the one possessed instead? Or was Xander possessed by a female hyena so it still counts as the hyenas being led by a female?

Buffy throws the zookeeper into the hyena enclosure where he gets devoured. Does that count as her killing a human, or does his human status get withdrawn because at the time he was the one possessed with the hyena spirit?

Puppet
Puppet
Buffy was trying to save him from falling into the pit, as throwing him over the fence was an accident that happened in the heat of battle. Just like the coach in Go Fish

thrasherpix

Scooby
I recall liking this a lot when I first saw it. I think this may have been the episode I started to genuinely care about the characters rather than just see it as a fun show. I really hurt for Willow, but loved her showing how strong she could be. I was worried for Giles, Bufy, and Xander as well. I really enjoyed the last part the best.

In later rewatches, I thought it a missed opportunity to not at least have a brief scene of say Xander's father or other dysfunctional relative, someone that is imparting toxic masculinity into Xander, for them to belittle Xander for not being "manly enough" only to experience Hyena Xander (the old "beware what you wish for a-hole"). That aside...

On this rewatch...I just caught a Ms. Malfoy (like Draco's older sister, or after he transitioned) at the Bronze in the background after intro credits. In one scene she's in the background is when Xander says, "Kid's fat."

If only Flutie knew that hyenas actually represent the school spirit over the Hellmouth so much better...

Ah, dodge ball. I remember once I just dodged, bored, and then wondered why everyone was targeting me. Then I realized I was the last one left. At that point I threw back and I think I got 3 before I was hit.

Buffy realizes something is up pretty fast. That can contribute to why she'd be mad when they thought Faith was her, and later when they thought the Buffybot was her. :D

I still enjoy this one. :)

famicommander

Townie
Buffy throws the zookeeper into the hyena enclosure where he gets devoured. Does that count as her killing a human, or does his human status get withdrawn because at the time he was the one possessed with the hyena spirit?
No, she definitely killed a human here. Justifiably, of course, and perhaps not on purpose. But he's dead by her hand, plain and simple.

Puppet
Puppet
He's not dead by her hand, he's dead by hyena teeth, though I agree she plays a part in him getting to those teeth.

Mr Trick

Scooby
One thing I noticed when re-watching The Pack this time is how similar the speech Xander gives to Willow about Buffy is to the one Cordy would give later on. I do love that scene with Willow and Xander. BTW Xander's wrong about things being simpler and safer without Buffy in Sunnydale. Without Buffy, the hellmouth still would have been there. Therefore they still would have been in danger.

This episode stands out as a solid S1 episode. In a later season it would be one of the weaker ones.

telperion66

Potential
Like most of the season one episodes of Buffy, this is one of the show's best written episodes overall. The dialogue just flows and has an intense energy that is entirely gratifying, and engaging at the same time.

Don't be fooled by the supposed "monster of the week" themes behind many of season one's episodes. Underpinning most of the season, especially the first half and 'Prophecy Girl' extremely vital scenes with crucial dialogue pertaining to our characters are played out, whilst the overall "story" or "big bad" of an episode is rather the afterthought, or backdrop if you will.

In season one, our favourite Buffy characters are in their prime, and most important of all, they are happy and vibrant, which makes all the difference in their performances.

- The mean gang of school kids picking on Buffy always cracks me up. "Careful, she might beat you up...."

- Its interesting that it appears that the "predatory act" that possesses the students is actually Xander and the lead mean kid getting in each other's face.

- In season one, like in this episode, many of the stories stand the test of time and are almost classics due to their secondary importance in letting the characters do their thing. So while we see at the Bronze Buffy musing over how gorgeous Angel is, and what he could mean to her with Willow, we have Xander behaving like a possessed hyena - see my point? The stories in season one are merely a backdrop and not what we watch the season for, primarily, rather, its the characters, and character interplay that we admire.

- I love when Xander walks in to the Bronze, and he and that girl just totally check each other out.. hyena or not, that was hot!

- Interesting use of the adjective "restless" by Xander for how he's feeling... speaks of the four finale anyone?

- Smelling Buffy's hair.. "That's OK, you took a bath".

- Xander being a hyena whilst being sinister is just classic hilarity.

- Classic scene with that slow, heavy guitar music playing while the mean gang (including Xander) walk up the slope at the school

- Could Willow be more adorable when crying to Buffy over Xander's behaviour toward her?

- "You like your men dangerous and mean, right? Like Angel?.. well guess who just got mean!"

Overall, a classic episode, easily a 8.7/10 for me.

Next week, its 'Angel'... things just keep getting better this season. :cool:

Taake

Raise your hand if... EW
Staff member
Black Thorn
Like most of the season one episodes of Buffy, this is one of the show's best written episodes overall. The dialogue just flows and has an intense energy that is entirely gratifying, and engaging at the same time.
I find this episode is one that grows on me every time I watch it. I feel like I underrated it originally, even if I enjoyed it, because it just seemed silly. But I loved watching it today, and your post kind of sums up why.

The only awful thing is Buffy’s zoo outfit. Can someone call the fashion police?
D69E0A00-52CE-4350-B107-F80767CE64F2.jpeg

(But how cute are they? :) )

Puppet
Puppet
Aw, I love that jacket, tho!
Top Bottom