• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy Rewatch: 1.08 I Robot, You Jane

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
In 1418, a group of Italian priests use magick to trap the demon Moloch in a book, only to be released if the book is ever read aloud. In 1997 Sunnydale, the computer teacher, Ms. Calendar, is working on a project to digitally scan all the books in the library. When a new arrival, in a strange language, is scanned, Moloch is released into the computer... and into every computer connected to it. Now Buffy must face Moloch's human minions, while Giles must figure out how to exorcise a demon from the Internet.
Meanwhile, Willow meets a nice boy online. His name is Malcolm...

Source: TV.com

thrasherpix

Scooby
I wasn't looking forward to this one, but actually liked it. I do like the interaction between Giles and Jenny.

And heh, I'm really tempted to change my avatar to Moloch. For the next day or two I'm going to envision every poster on BB as Moloch (and maybe chant "I'm jacked in"), or at least sharpening their axe when not online.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think this episode is a little ahead of it time in terms of the dangers of an underage girl chatting to someone online, but is seriously dated by the technology. Computers weren't as widespread as they are today so back then the danger of Moloch being on the internet was kind of limited. However, if this episode was made today then Moloch would be more of a risk since every household as access to the internet either via a computer, tablet, mobile phone or tv.

telperion66

Potential
I presume I'm in the minority, but this is one of my all time favourite BTVS episodes. I hereby hail it a classic.

- Delightful opening scene in the library, the gang sorting out all the new book arrivals.
- refreshing and of note on re-watch to see Miss Calendar and Giles' first on-screen interaction

- At first, I was so happy for Willow that she'd "found" someone...

- I really like the whole "computer-centric" backdrop to this episode. From the scenes in the computer rooms, to Miss Calendar's involvement, its just really cool. This gives rise to the idea that the assisting villains of the piece are computer nerds from Jenny's class!

- The structure of this episode is well represented

- Whilst the "technological" theme does date this episode, I find that inherently gives it a lot of charm

- The performances are upbeat, and above average in keeping with the writing

- A high point of the episode is watching Giles and Miss Calendar's initial on-screen relationship develop

- Hilarious outro when the gang realises how "doomed" they are in their respective relationships as a consequence of living on the hellmouth

Overall, one of the stronger episodes in displaying Giles and Miss Calendar's relationship with each other, even this early on. This episode always is a good watch and maintains an upbeat and engaging tone throughout.

8/10 for me :cool:

sk
sk
I'm part of that minority. Great to see some love of this episode. :)

HellmouthPins

Townie
I just watched this today. I still love it. One of my favourite lines is Giles referring to Jenny as, "That dreadful Calendar woman", and the other was Buffy calling emails 'e-letters'! 😆

Top Bottom