• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy season 1 fighting style.

I have been thinking about this for the past year or so... the fighting style in S1 was pretty bad. I wonder if it had to do with Buffy been a newish slayer or the actual production budget of the show? Buffy could have kicked the Master's arse in 20 seconds flat if she came against him in season 2.

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
I'm thinking it's the latter, Buffy wasn't that new. Based on the timeline, she'd been the Slayer for at least six months by then, probably more. Considering how bad the effects are in S1, I'm definitely gonna go with lack of proper budget for certain things, like proper fight training and such.

A lot of things in later seasons would've killed season 1 Buffy fast as well.

I personally like it. In season 1 she may be granted special abilities that make her an incredible fighter by human standards, but she's still unrefined and not yet hardened. This helps explain why most Slayers don't last long--had Buffy not had friends then she'd be just another Slayer casualty that the Watchers (other than Giles) quickly forgot, and probably preferred it that which (thus their 18th birthday test, which can double as a threat to those who survive) as the older Slayers would have a tendency to buck the Watchers more. (I also prefer horror to superhero, X-Files to X-Men, so there's that as well.) She's one of those that continues to train as well as gain confidence and honing her skills through field experience, thus becoming a better fighter.

I especially liked how she went through the special training in season 5. Being good is nowhere as exciting to me as BECOMING good, and the harder it is to become, the more worth there is in it. With Buffy, her fighting ability is part (one aspect) of her growth. While "luck"(good or bad, pick one) may have made her a Slayer (and good luck with friends), that alone didn't make her awesome, but rather how she refined herself, making the most of the opportunity she got, which gives it the tone of a saga over the seasons even more than the Big Bads do (and that goes for other characters in their own way as well, though Giles becoming a much better fighter after being dismissed from the Watchers felt off to me).

In contrast, I don't care much for Neville characters that are clumsy goofballs that instantly turn permanently awesome (as opposed to having an awesome moment) and even where it makes sense (like downloading skills in The Matrix) it just lacks something. I admire the climb up the mountain itself rather than flying there via jetpack.

That said, the writers probably weren't thinking beyond season 1...and then they'd feel pressure to outdo themselves each season.

Production costs. If the creators were trying to use stage combat to tell a story about Buffy's development as a warrior, it's news to me.

Just to be clear, I don't think Buffy's development as a warrior or even as a character were much on the minds of writers and producers. I have to doctor so much of the show with headcanon as it is. I'm just saying what I like about what we got, however unintentional it was.

white avenger

white avenger
I'm sure that we are supposed to assume, if we notice such things at all, that Buffy's ongoing experience and training were responsible for her gaining expertise as a fighter over the course of the years, which does make a good bit of sense, since one of the things unique about Buffy was the fact that she had allies, primarily Willow, Xander, Giles, Angel, Faith, Riley, and Spike, who helped her stay alive long enough to learn how to handle just about every kind of demonic critter the Hellmouth could provide.

In reality, I think that it all boils down to the fact that, in the later Seasons, Joss was able to hire a more skilled fight choreographer and stunt double for Buffy.

Yes it must have been Budget as Buffy had the same stunt couple in Charge ,Sophia Crawford was Buffy stunt double 1-4 then Pruitt went off the rails, later seasons Buffy was not as aggressive and more acrobatic in her fight scenes

Top Bottom