1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy season 6 appreciation

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by Wesley Pryce, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Wesley Pryce

Wesley Pryce Angel Investigations

Black Thorn
    Tell me what you love or like about this very controversial Buffy television season. Lets keep this about appreciation and leave criticism for the discussion thread.

sosa lola likes this.
  2. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    *breezes in*

Tara

*leaves*

;)

WillowFromBuffy: OMG! I read this as 'Tara leaves' and I almost had a heart attack.
  3. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I liked the songs in Once More with Feeling, Xander saving the world with love instead of violence, the Tara/Dawn friendship, Willow's supportive girl friend act with Buffy when a married Riley returned.

4. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

But season 6 is all about angst and feeling miserable, so why shouldn't this thread be? (J/K, well sort of...:p )

I liked After Life, one of the genuinely creepy eps of the entire series. OMWF was incredibly creative, and Normal Again was daring. And honorable mention to Buffy's new hairstyle in Gone, and the Spanya dialog in Entropy.

It's been awhile since I saw it and I find my memory vague on the specifics, but I recall thinking that the Buffybot at a parent-teacher meeting in Bargaining was surprisingly believable in how it could work out (that is, put the Buffybot in a real meeting like that and I could see the parents and school faculty reacting like that).

Priceless likes this.
  5. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    I love season 6 a lot! It is so much darker and explores many different sides of the characters, both good and bad. I love the arc of Buffy accepting adulthood and feeling the stagnation. I really relate to this.

WillowFromBuffy, Stoney and Priceless like this.
  6. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

What don't I like? :)

Loved the writing above all else, some fantastic episodes written by Jane Espenson, Marti Noxon, Joss, and Steven DeKnight wrote my favourite episode of the season Dead Things (perhaps my favourite of the whole show) Every character bares their soul in this season, and sinks so low, and the writing is just beautiful.

Of course I adore the Spuffy, even at it's darkest. It's just visceral and often hard to watch, but it's fantastic tv, and I personally can't take my eyes off the screen; when Willow breaks, when Tara leaves, the attempted rape, the murder of Warren. None of it is about the intellect, it's not about thinking, it's all about feeling.

I like that even the joyous moments are tempered because they cannot last. When Tara says 'Can you just be kissing me now', it's beautiful but we know how this story ends and it's heartbreaking.

At the end there is finally light. It is far too obvious, but I still love seeing Buffy climbing out of the grave, telling Dawn that she wants to live and show her the world and meanwhile in Africa Spike is finding his own way to be re-born.

It's just a fantastic season, a departure from what has gone before, which I think is a good thing in a long running tv show. I liked the new direction it took, and I admit I am not as critical as I could be . . . I like all the seasons, hey I even like Season 7

GoSpuffy, TriBel, Stoney and 5 others like this.
  7. Spikeyspike

Spikeyspike Townie

It might be my favorite seasons because it deals with a lot of heavy things that we could all possibly experience if some of you havent already. A lot of people can deal maybe a little bit better with their issues because of this season just like a lot of people were able to deal with the loss of a loved one a bit better because of The Body. Because of some feeling of feeling understood, expression, relatable. This season deals with depression, abuse, addiction, etc. Also the issue of Buffy's money and trying to lose Guardianship over Dawn. It might be one of the most realistic seasons. A lot of people don't seem to like it because it's so dark. Well, bit of a silly reason not to like it. Life can get dark too, it's what happens. I only don't get why Willow and Tara don't help Buffy with the money. They spend all her money and then live off of her. She has to work double shifts at that hell hole. Yeah, that helps with the depression. I guess I'll consider it as a plothole or something we don't fully see on screen?

Priceless likes this.
  8. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

I've dealt with abuse, having to pay bills, and many other problems Buffy and friends face. I've faced stalkers like Spike. To this day I'm deeply troubled by the chronic depression and alcoholism of a very close friend that scares me at times. And I've been around addiction growing up (from dysfunctional alcoholic parents to a heroin junkie I was close to who died on the stuff, and experimented with drugs myself while young).

And that's part of why I have a problem with season 6, as it misses the mark for me. I don't mean to criticize season 6 here, what I mean to say is that it's not that people who don't like season 6 have never dealt with such issues as depression, addiction, etc. I expect some who have can, but in other cases that's a barrier to liking the season 6 as it seems they get so much wrong.

Mylie, Antho and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  9. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

Well said. My reasons for disliking season 6 has never been about the subject matter but how it was dealt with. I'm glad lots of people relate to it, personally it just doesn't fit my own experiences and for that I personally don't find it realistic so I dislike it more than I should.

And I'd like to add that there's no shallow reason to dislike something. Not everybody's looking for the same thing when they watch television.

Carrie Hopewell and thrasherpix like this.
  10. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

Everything @Priceless said.

I really like series 6 and 7. The lighter moment are made all the sweeter by the contrast. Buffy's depression is excellently done. I love Willow's dependency on Tara. I feel so sad for them both! <3 Willow never watches Moulin Rouge to the end. Perhaps we should do the same for her.

Part of me is happy the show stopped. It had gotten dark enough, and there was no silver lining.

Priceless: :-)
    GoSpuffy, flow and Priceless like this.
  11. Stoney

Stoney Spiked!

I love season 6. I find the basic overall tone and themes for the season really works for me. I think seeing the group as individuals pull apart, some hitting particularly low/dark times and struggling, making poor choices, makes them more relatable and likeable. It works well for me as a period of growth in the path into adulthood and I love that the series overall is so progressive that we follow these people through such times.

Spike is by far my favourite character and this season really draws his story forwards and it works so well following all that has come in the previous seasons for him. I love that they didn't make him a special snowflake but took where he had come from, what we had learned about his personal motivations which originated in his human self and then used season six to show how he couldn't walk the line and still needed a soul to get past his limitations. It tied up that he didn't differ from other vampires any more than his original individuality, and that decision was better overall for the verse, definitely. In deliberate contrast, Willow's path towards the darker side of herself running through the same season before they both move into S7 and the positive progress of gaining inner balance was just great. How well both their stories reflect and contrast with Buffy's struggles with power and self realisations too is just excellent.

I agree that there were some weaknesses, especially the way that the financial problems were covered/tackled, but all the seasons have their problems. I loved how the general path of this season tied start to finish in a really satisfying way and loved the role that Xander played in the end and how well it linked right back to the origins of his relationship with Willow too.

TriBel and Priceless like this.
  12. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    Ditto

Priceless: :-)
    Athena, WillowFromBuffy and Priceless like this.
  13. TamsinValencia

TamsinValencia Potential

I loved the added sense of reality the show brang when Buffy had to get a job at the double meat palace. Also I thought the musical episode was stunning, its one of my favourites I especially thought the willow and tara song was so powerful.

Athena and Priceless like this.
  14. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I love it because it resonates so deeply with how I felt at about the same age (Buffy and I were going through similar things at the same age/time!) and whilst I never sacrificed myself to save the world, I did feel there was something 'wrong' with me. I fell into a destructive relationship with a bad man who I shouldn't have been attracted to, but I was. I felt like I was losing touch with my friends. I guess I can watch it now and see the truth about how destructive my life was going towards. I don't regret stuff, but I understand it. Buffy Season 6 really helped me with that.

And Once More With Feeling rocked my world! :D

15. Triss

Triss Andrew's momma

*creeps in silently* ...andrew... *creeps back into the shadows*

TamsinValencia, flow and Stoney like this.
  16. Dora

Dora Potential

Sorry I think season six stinks,I thought it at the time of broadcast and still think it now, I understand you liking it if you are a fan of a middle aged skinny bloke with bleached hair ,but i am a fan of Buffy the vampire slayer , Great for all those that relate with the show although can't see many of you relating to coming back from the dead ,Great if you see romance in stalking , taunting , sexual abuse and attempted rape , Brilliant if the program you are waiting to watch after a hard day is bleak and depressive that by the end you have lost all connection with the fantasy show you have watched for 5 years called Buffy the vampire Slayer .Great if you like belittling people who work in fast foods , Buffy the Vampire slayer went from a fantasy program about a young girl and her friends fighting demons and vampires that I looked forward too watching , to a crap soap opera you can see on any channel , Beautiful girl going with the dad boy , being left at the alter , drug addition all standard soap But then of course soap's basically aimed at young teenagers do not infer oral sex , sodomy, S&M sex , Rough sex between a girl and basically a animal in a dead humans body, the following season tried to get back to the the original successful format but Buffy was never going to be the same after six , the show was finished , Buffy the Character we loved was not redeemable certainly not with MN in charge .Sarah told Joss early in seven she would not be signing a new contract, unfortunately he decided to tell no one else ....with out season six and JW abandonment leaving Marti noxious in day to day charge I think we would have had more Buffy, although I don't think I could have handled much more Spike but then they did ship him off to Angel and I understand his sucked the life out of that......

17. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I don't think it actually was anal sex in the balcony scene, it was more like awkward positions since JM is taller than SMG (which makes people think he is taller than he is in real life). If you went on positioning alone then Spike would be doing Buffy in her lower back. If you notice, Spike is stood up reasonably straight in that scene, for him to be having anal sex with Buffy, he'd have to be crouched down more and Buffy would be in a lot of pain (unless they're implying that she's had anal sex before), in which case why bother making it anal sex rather than normal sex?

Angel only got a Season 5 because of Spike. It was given a 5th season on the proviso Spike was in it. If anything, Season 4 "sucked the life out" of Angel, and Spike was nowhere near that. If anything, Spike was the life support machine.

18. TriBel

TriBel Scooby

I watched it at the time of broadcast and don't recall having any concerns about it. Certainly I had no qualms about my sons watching it (they'd be about 14 at the time). The "coming back from the dead" - I'm presuming most people who'd stayed with the programme from the beginning had got to the stage of "suspending disbelief". The original Stoker novel deals with some of the issues that Buffy does - particularly the sexual ones. Dracula is about the "new woman" the "fear of the foreigner" etc. Just because BtVS is a "fantasy show" (which it isn't and never has been - it was a hybrid from the beginning) doesn't mean it can't deal with real life, real world issues (sci-fi for instance, is about the now not the future). ALL television and all film regardless of genre /form or content is political - it's never just escapism. They were never "just killing monsters - the monsters were metaphors. The mythic structures are borrowed from all sorts of religions (still relevant today) and the trajectory the show took drew attention to developments in Feminism. That aside, even social realism (for instance Ken Loach) isn't real as such - all have narrative structures based on a cause/effect that isn't true of real life (closure for instance).

For many people, life is tough. I agree it (perhaps Spike) belittled her for working in fast food - but isn't that a general stereotype? That said, "fast food" is a metaphor for many things - instant gratification, consumer culture etc.). There was a problem with the degree to which he wanted to take her into the dark BUT dark/light is a difficult binarism (for instance too much light can blind). The only problem I had with the S/M was there was no safe word (and it never occurred to me it was anal sex until I saw it mentioned here). It was also intimated that Anya and Xander played out sexual fantasies. She wasn't a girl - she was a woman (my sister had two children and a husband posted overseas when she was Buffy's age) and the show problematized the distinction between human and animal (strictly speaking, human and the other) that was one of its strengths. Was that an animal that tended her hands? That kept the promise to look after her sister? Ultimately, the monster metaphor becomes a vehicle for discussing oppressed groups. In short, I liked S6 (and 7) for many of the reasons you didn't. I'm not being critical - I'm just saying - it takes all sorts and answering the original question.

As for AtS5, Spike probably reverted back to his trickster role but his relationship with Fred was nice. It was a definite improvement on AtS 4.

flow likes this.
  19. Living Dead Boy

Living Dead Boy Joss Is A Very Flawed Boss

Black Thorn
    Ah, good ol' season 6. :p Its my favorite season, and there are many reasons behind it. But mostly, it's because I've never seen a more risky, ambitious season of television quite like it. I felt like it came at the perfect time during the series.

The events of season 5 had Buffy going through some serious non-childhood trauma, so it only felt right that Joss took that darkness and turned up the heat. I admired the fact that they went there. I was a child at the time, but even while watching it, I low key understood the pain. I was in the midst of my world turning upside down during that 2001-2002 period, so even now, watching the season gives me catharsis. I'm glad my favorite piece of entertainment, despite its flaws, decided to turn these extremely likable characters and put them through the wringer, thus completely altering our views on these characters we thought we liked or admired. And I'm perfectly fine with anti-heroes and people who aren't necessarily likable, as long as you give us something to work with. Isn't that a lot like life? You become so used to this "persona" that your friend or relative puts on, but once the mask is off, and they show their true colors, it makes you look at them in a different light. More importantly, you realize that this is a human being, warts and all. This is a bold season from the start, so it was bound to be polarizing, but I love the fact that they made the characters make really bad decisions and suffer like hell because of it. *I repeat, I am not a sadist* But experience changes people, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse, and we are all the sum result of the choices we've made in our lives. As we get older, life becomes more grey, and things get a little messier. You make really crazy decisions when you're a young adult, at least this young adult did. Joss' existentialism had slowly trickled into my life, the more I watched his work, and this season (and 7, for that matter) is a prime example of his existentialist view of humanity, and living with consequences of our actions. And as far as the quality of the episodes, I genuinely believe the problem lies with the middle stretch of episodes, which makes it feel like the season was filled with horrible episodes, but I give season 6 a bit more credit for the consistency of great episodes. The first half was amazing, and from Dead Things onward, things started becoming great again. So all this to say, I love season 6 for its guts. I honestly don't need my entertainment to be perfectly plotted, or expertly shot, as long as the emotion is there, and this season is the one I go to when my life sucks, (and to be honest, it sucks more these days), and yeah, it makes me feel a little better about my life, knowing that I'm not alone.

WillowFromBuffy: /thread
    WillowFromBuffy, TriBel, flow and 2 others like this.
  20. Dora

Dora Potential

So where was the metaphors in six the only one I can think of was Buffy using Spike a form of self harming the most degrading thing she could do , Spike was Buffy knife
    I share SMG problems with the over the top sex, you may not have thought it was a problem but obviously many people did if Wiki is to be believed the viewing figures drop by over 3 million , the over the top sex was not shown before or after in the show any other circumstances even in loving situations, in fact no sex was shown in seven ...Why ? if the show had become more adult ? ( the sex scene in smashed was investigated ) Belittling people who work in fast foods I was thinking generally and it is a fact that sponsors were going to pull out of the show if double meat palace raised its ugly head again , There was no come back for the attempted Rape, surely you can not think that was right , and handling Buffy serious mental problem of Clinical depression by Buffy just climbing out of the Earth again ??? all better. You either have fantasy program or you become a soap and be more accurate in your writing , Degrading Buffy by having anal sex in public on a program that monsters are obviously men in masks, with no blood etc does not make any sense .As you pointed out it was intimated that Anya and Xander played out their sexual fantasy why did we not see them? ,why was the sex not more graphic sex between Anya and Spike, no the whole sexual thing between Spike and Buffy was Joss driven especial;y the Balcony scene he had been trying to fit that in for a year? , it appears it was JW had issues with SMG
    Was it a animal that attended her hands ,yes , the same animal that punched her in the face yes, the same animal that tried to kill as soon as he thought his chip had spot working yes , the same animal that tried to rape her yes, the same animal who stalked her and tried to get her to live in the darkness with him yes the same animal, just poor writing they could not make up their minds if Spike was good or Bad and as for looking after Dawn what choice did he have ? but to hang with the scoobies. He did not care about Dawn while having sex with Buffy we saw Buffy saying she must get back to Dawn and Spike manipulate Buffy in to sex, Again I believe that with out six we would have had more Buffy (excluding the cartoons in the comics ) can any one think that would have been a bad thing?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 22, 2017 ---
    In one of the dailies on you tube it shows both of Spikes hands on her hips as he trusts, obviously not shown in the show and I think JW has said it was anal The whole balcony thing was to just degrade Buffy character further ,no more, its the scene SMG had most problems with she did not like what it stood for and we all knew they were having sex. More improbable was the sex scene in Smashed ,when Buffy undid he's zip and position him he kept his jeans on though a open Zip ! and she her panties on..... cant believe that would not have caused problems ?
    With the Angel thing never watched it just read comments about it
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 22, 2017 ---
    I have read on two different places that the tv company wanted Willow to help balance the Male / female thing but it was Jw who assisted on Spike