• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy should not be re-made

AstridDante

Potential
Hi

Is anyone of the view that Buffy is a classic and iconic and should not be re-made. I simply cannot imagine anyone else playing those characters. I think instead the show should continue to be watched by different generations. It’s just perfect and doesn’t need a do-over. I don’t think anything would come close to doing it justice. Thoughts?

Priceless

Scooby
I don't believe anything could ever compare to the og show Buffy. But at the same time, I love the Buffyverse and I want new content. That's why I watched Angel and why I read fanfic and all the comics from IDW, DH and now Boom. The Boom Buffy is not my Buffy, but I like to compare and contrast and that's what I'd do for any new show.

burrunjor

Potential
Personally I'd prefer a series based on Fray starring Dana Delorenzo.

She is one of my favourite actresses, she looks the part, she already did a similar role in Ash vs Evil Dead, it has an unusual premise and it would continue the Bufyverse, but not undo the endings of either Buffy or Angel.

As for a Buffy remake if its good I wouldn't have a problem. I don't mind remakes. They are unconnected to the original so if they're good GREAT, if they are bad, no problem as the original still stands.

I have more problem with a sequel that ****s up the original like the 21st century version of Doctor Who. I wouldn't want a direct sequel to Buffy. Too much time has passed for that.

I do think that Buffy is a strong enough character to be reinterpreted again and again. However for now I'd prefer Fray. (Hence my profile picture.)

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
I used to be very skeptical of a reboot and felt more or less like you do, but lately I’ve been warming to the idea. The original will still be there and an update appropriate for the current time could be really cool. It’d depend on the writers and showrunner of course, but it could be a great show. For me it wouldn’t be able to compete with the original, but I don’t think that’s a reason not to try to update the story and cast for a new audience.

TriBel

Scooby
Doesn't bother me. I don't need it but nor do I object to it. Superman and Batman are 20th century icons but it hasn't stopped numerous iterations. Ditto Dracula since 19th century and Hamlet since... well forever. Remaking something doesn't belittle the original. In fact, it's interesting to see the impact social/cultural change has on representation. Nina Auerbach said "every age embraces the vampire it needs, and gets the vampire it deserves" and 'What vampires are in any given generation is a part of what I am and what my times have become". I think the same can be said of Slayers. It's interesting to track the change (and why we got "Tales of the Slayers/Vampires).

@Priceless - I know Boom Buffy isn't your Buffy in terms of character but is there anything, or any character, you prefer in the Boom comics (yeah - I know - big ask and probably heresy 🤣 ).

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I tbink Buffy still holds up and when Friends is still gaining 12 year old fans today I can't see the argument that anything in Buffy is too outdated. I wouldn't stop them from doing any sort of remake I just don't believe it would be good after looking at Buffy-type shows made recently and reboots in general.

Reactions: Ann

emspace

Townie
I've read in another thread, and I agree, that if a reboot were to happen I would much rather see more of a spin-off of the idea of a slayer than a straight-up remake of either the movie or the series (in movie or series form). And I agree with @Spanky (in the other thread) that Ryan Murphy would be awesome at pulling it off. I love the American Horror Story and American Crime Story series and feel the tone would be a bit similar to the old BtVS while having an updated feel.

AstridDante

Potential
I tbink Buffy still holds up and when Friends is still gaining 12 year old fans today I can't see the argument that anything in Buffy is too outdated. I wouldn't stop them from doing any sort of remake I just don't believe it would be good after looking at Buffy-type shows made recently and reboots in general.
I completely agree with you. I think there is a lot to be gained from new generation or new audience discovering the original series. I don’t see the need for it to be re-booted

I've read in another thread, and I agree, that if a reboot were to happen I would much rather see more of a spin-off of the idea of a slayer than a straight-up remake of either the movie or the series (in movie or series form). And I agree with @Spanky (in the other thread) that Ryan Murphy would be awesome at pulling it off. I love the American Horror Story and American Crime Story series and feel the tone would be a bit similar to the old BtVS while having an updated feel.
I could live with a spin off, would hate a straight up remake. The characters and actors who portrayed them are too iconic to my mind

Athene
Athene
As long as the Buffy fanbase is still strong I think having just the original is fine.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
The original Buffy is still in syndication - I just watched "Checkpoint" end about a half hour ago. If a new Buffy is rebooted, it will be compared to the old Buffy and I don't see updates to modern times (like adding cellphones and social media) giving it any real edge in the comparison. But I would watch it, just to see if they screw it up or make a good series out of it.

Priceless

Scooby
@Priceless - I know Boom Buffy isn't your Buffy in terms of character but is there anything, or any character, you prefer in the Boom comics (yeah - I know - big ask and probably heresy 🤣 ).
This is a big question, but yes, there are a couple of characters I prefer in the comics. I much prefer Xander. From issue one they gave him a character and a vulnerability in a way they never could in the tv show. He was the best written character in the whole of Boom comics.

I also prefer Jenny in the comics. Tv Jenny was snarky, but she always seemed a bit mean to Giles. In the comics she's serious and bringing up issues with him they never talked about on the show, such as why isn't Buffy paid and what exactly is Giles doing to help her. This Jenny is snarky with principles. I also like Kendra in the comics and am happy that they've given her more of a backstory and more character.

I've seen a few people mention Ryan Murphy as a showrunner for a new Buffy, and though I'm not a fan of most of his other work, he is very popular and would certainly bring in a new audience.

Last edited:
nightshade
nightshade
You've almost tempted me to read them

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I honestly I have no strong feelings either way anymore and at this point I’m not sure I’d watch anything Whedon makes. But I just want to remind everyone that it’s been about 2 years since we’ve heard any new news. So I kind of doubt that it will even happen.

Ann

Nee chatwuann Bangel
Where I live, but really don't want to be.
Friends is little older than Buffy and the characters still wear the same clothes that were popular at the time, so that wouldn't be a reason for them not to watch Buffy. Things were low key and it was not overly violent, so that wouldn't be a reason not to watch. Buffy is not too adult for 12 year olds and it is still relevant today with the issues the characters are dealing with. I can't find any reason why 12 year olds would not want to watch Buffy. It is puzzling. You can't use a title, character names, and basic concept of a show or movie add in different actors, plots and call it original. Besides most reboots don't make it past the first season.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
If they remake it, it will probably turn into your average CW show so yeah, not remaking it sounds like a very good idea.

I personally like the Roswell reboot, but won't even bother to ever watch the Charmed reboot.

Tank1978

Scooby
I agree that they should leave it as it was. I do like the idea of expanding on the buffyverse and have always thought there is so much potential for spin offs. They could either have a future slayer or set it in the past and make it a work of historical fiction. There's a few former slayers mentioned and you could base it around any of them or make up a new one. Could set it in any time period you wanted to and anywhere in the world.

Ann

Nee chatwuann Bangel
Where I live, but really don't want to be.
I agree that they should leave it as it was. I do like the idea of expanding on the buffyverse and have always thought there is so much potential for spin offs. They could either have a future slayer or set it in the past and make it a work of historical fiction. There's a few former slayers mentioned and you could base it around any of them or make up a new one. Could set it in any time period you wanted to and anywhere in the world.
I think that is better than a reboot. After S7 there were potential slayers and more that they could have put in a spin off. Lost opportunity then but good opportunity now. It would make more sense and good stories to tell.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I can't find any reason why 12 year olds would not want to watch Buffy. It is puzzling.
It's probably because Buffy is not as accessible and the young people either don't know about it or judge it before watching it and so never try it. Friends is insanely popular with the new generation and they probably make up a lot of the fanbase so it's had a rebirth in a way not many shows do.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
It's probably because Buffy is not as accessible and the young people either don't know about it or judge it before watching it and so never try it. Friends is insanely popular with the new generation and they probably make up a lot of the fanbase so it's had a rebirth in a way not many shows do.
I wonder if part of this is promotion. Friends is still advertised/promoted heavily. And it’s played on Nickoledeon/Nick at Night. Buffy is not airing in syndication on any cable networks that I know of. Yes it’s streaming on Hulu but you have to seek it out, they don’t have ads of it flashing, and no one is really going to “stumble across it”.

I remember maybe 5 years ago when it was airing on several different cable networks and streaming on either Network or Amazon. It was easy to find.

Priceless
Priceless
It's showing on E4 in the UK, though I don't know how popular it is

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I wonder if part of this is promotion. Friends is still advertised/promoted heavily. And it’s played on Nickoledeon/Nick at Night. Buffy is not airing in syndication on any cable networks that I know of. Yes it’s streaming on Hulu but you have to seek it out, they don’t have ads of it flashing, and no one is really going to “stumble across it”.
I would credit the Friends rebirth with Netflix personally because it really started becoming 'mainstream' around 2014 I'd say which is about when Netflix subscriptions were starting to gain a lot of traction. I don't know if they were still showing Friends on TV a lot around or before 2014. If Buffy were on Netflix worldwide I think we'd see a big growth in new fans but probably not to the same level.

Top Bottom