• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy should not be re-made

burrunjor

Potential
Ethan Reigns I agree with most of what you are saying but Jordan Peterson is not a racist - he is the subject of a smear campaign at the University of Toronto - I graduated from there and toxic identity politics has been going on there for some time.
Well not to get too off topic, but it was Jordan Peterson's video on race realism that he did with Stefan Molyneux that kind of put me off him. Sadly it's been taken down along with all of Molyneux's videos so I can't show it.

Maybe he's changed his position on it. I know he had a terrible time of it recently with his wife and his own illness, so I tend to be a bit easier on him these days. I've heard his non political work is supposed to be good, but his politics I find to be too tribal.

As for Molyneux he is a total lunatic, but as much as I disliked himI don't think his channel should have been deleted as that sets a bad precedent. (Also he was a good LOL cow.)

Hence why I said I'd love to see the reboot helmed by a woman, especially a woman of colour, if we are going to get a black Buffy. It wouldn't be a white man trying to pander and make themselves look good and make a spectacle of the social issues the show would be tackling. It would instead be a story told by someone who has lived that experience and understands all the nuances of these issues on a personal level. I was never trying to imply a woman of colour should just be handed the job as a diversity stunt, I just feel like we would get a better story from someone who knows what they're talking about. If a white man could tell the story of a black woman better than a black woman can obviously he should get the job, I just don't think that's realistic.
Well that's fair enough, sorry if you felt you were being got at, I was just making a point about what I feel are the biggest obstacles to a Buffy reboot. I think we are all ageed that the last thing we want is either a Supergirl or a Jodie era Who version of Buffy LOL.

There are obviously plenty of women who peddle identity politics too, I'm now not trying to put women on a pedastel either, but I think that men can be in the thrall of it ironically more only because a man will either be too scared to criticise it, or again as seen with so many producers and writers think it's a way of making himself look better than other men, hence Supergirl.

(Though this is obviously not to say that all men who support feminism are like that. I support equal rights for women, as do most decent men, but that's the point it's kind of like a Chris Rock thing of that's what you're supposed to do! Don't make a song and dance out of it like J J Abrams does.)

It's funny because Paul Cornell, a notorious SJW writer for DW went on about how female fandoms are always better than male led ones. I used to think he was doing his usual and talking down to women as hey women are people there's no reason a fandom with them should be better, but ironically after spending time in the Buffy fandom I see his point, but the problem is it's because of men like him who have to virtue signal and make out that they are the only decent men in fandom LOL.

thrasherpix

Scooby
My memory is too vague on this, but I think there was a mixed race (part Black) woman who was mentioned as one who was going to do the reboots. While I didn't know much about her, what little I did made me actually PREFER her to Joss (let Joss help out, especially with the dialog, and let her drive)...though another part was that she said it wasn't going to be a full reboot of Buffy, but rather focus on a different cast of characters with a different Slayer, and I also liked that. This had nothing to do with race or gender, other than since the Slayer was supposed to be a Black girl, I thought it would be best if she was in charge instead of Joss (who I think means well, sometimes, but a little too sheltered), both to make it more relevant as hoped, and also gird it against backlash.

Look at this message that the editor of DW magazine sent me.

Oh mate. DWM is a magazine about Doctor Who, made by people who love Doctor Who, for people who love Doctor Who. And that's not you. You're just an angry, women-hating, transphobic turd. If you were the last man alive, DWM wouldn't want YOU as a reader.
I just wanted to say I once subscribed to an online Asatru (Scandinavian paganism) zine (a "zine" is short for magazine, and was like a newsletter that people typically printed up rather than have mailed to them, if they wanted a paper copy) with decent articles and mostly good people. One issue posted an article that was blatantly racist and easy to see through, referred to us readers as "White People" (when that wasn't necessarily true) and obviously trying to prep us for a race war. (This was back around 2000, might've been 99.)

I was a kid and saw through it right away, and I might've responded, but others did so before I could, pointing out what I would've and so much more. But other than asking if the editor even read the articles before allowing them into the zine, all the criticism was against the arguments made (and the fallacies presented), not against the person himself, who clearly was a White supremacist, and likely a neo-nazi to boot (who considers even Christianity "too Jewish"). I'm not saying he was merely "politically incorrect" but it made it sound like we were all going to be killed for being White unless we struck first, and trying to outrage us with evil Blacks along with Jews & Christians.

In short, they treated him with more courtesy than he deserved, even if it was just a cold refutation of his arguments (each one directed against the statements, not the author--again, I only remember the editor being criticized for allowing it and it wasn't like they were trying to cancel the zine as it had a lot of good stuff with many shocked that this somehow found its way in, though they did hate how "articles like this give us all a bad reputation").

So it blows my mind that you were treated far worse over something so trivial...unfortunately, it also doesn't surprise me.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
No one is "ganging up" on anybody. A civil discussion was had. Questions were asked, questions were answered. Clarification was sought, clarification was given. SJW was used in the correct context.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I did feel pretty ganged up on and uncomfortable actually but that's all in the past now :)
That was never intentional. :) I think the problem is we're currently living in a very volatile political climate that's only going to get worse as we head towards November. What shouldn't be an issue is being made into an issue by BLM/Antifa and they're pushing an agenda and poisonous ideology that is extremely divisive because they want to tear America apart. The democrats are endorsing this because they're deranged and hate Trump so much they're willing to let cities burn if they think it will get him out of office (and you have to question why they're so rattled by him) and as a result that is feeding the rioting because they're being allowed to do it. Race is being made into a massive issue (and BLM last reared its head similarly but not on this scale in 2016- another election year), and there seems to be an increasingly racist anti-white/anti-cop narrative going on.

Like I said, if we'd had this conversation last year or pre-May this year, it would've probably gone a lot differently. However because the wokies are throwing their weight around basically trying to bully people into silence and obedience, issues are being created that don't need to exist. This is basically what identity politics is. Buffy doesn't need to be remade, having a black Buffy is basically ticking a box but you can probably write a story so it's not obvious. However, with the BLM narrative going on, suddenly it becomes something else and not in a good way. You asked why cops were mentioned in reply to your "modern day demons for Buffy to deal with,", well according to the BLM narrative, cops are hunting down black people for being black because they're "racist". Therefore for a black Buffy, modern day "demons" would be cops.

It's a false narrative, and a dangerous one, but the more SJWs are pandered to, the more demanding and worse they get. Doctor Who has been wokefied which is why it was brought up and obviously Supergirl, and it's concerning that Buffy could go the same way. Even though it wouldn't be "our" Buffy per se, it would still be using the banner name and representing the character.

Hope that clears up any confusion. If not, just ask.

burrunjor

Potential
The ganging up on this thread is so gross. Let someone have their opinion without piling on, for gods sake! 🙄 And again with the slurs (SJW)
Well I already apologised to Banshee if she/he felt they were being got at.

I don't think we were ganging up though. Sometimes it might look that way if your opinion is in the minority, but I don't think so. Again look at Gallifrey Base where they'd all gang up on you in a genuinely insulting way. The fact that this is seen as ganging up on the Buffy board shows how much better a place it is.

VisionGirl
VisionGirl
Ganging up is never ok

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
A few of you really did jump all over her/his post, accusing them of identity politics simply because they expressed a desire for a black Buffy and a black female director. And things have changed not because of the shift in our culture but because of the shift in this board.

Taake

Nightmare, dressed as a daydream
Staff member
Black Thorn
The ganging up on this thread is so gross. Let someone have their opinion without piling on, for gods sake! 🙄 And again with the slurs (SJW)
A few of you really did jump all over her/his post, accusing them of identity politics simply because they expressed a desire for a black Buffy and a black female director. And things have changed not because of the shift in our culture but because of the shift in this board.
This is a discussion board. Clarification was asked for and given. Discussion on the topic was had.

If this upsets you I invite you to reflect over how many times on this board you have ”piled on” and not let someone just ”have their opinion” when you disagreed with a post but someone else disagreed with it before you.

You have engaged in some ganging up yourself, so if there has been a shift on this board, start reflecting on your own behavior instead of trying to police or bully others.

Top Bottom