• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Buffy should not be re-made

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Just some random Buffy. No, it needs to be Buffy Summers.

And the show can't be tied into or in any other way connected with the TV series. It needs to be a reboot, not some continuation.
But then you're immediately setting the show up to fail because people will automatically compare it to the original. You're basically going to have Willow but with a new name, Xander but he's a girl etc.

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
I don't mind having a continuation actually, in spite of what I said about remaking stuff. I mean, they'll probably do a god-awful job, no doubt about that (this being my cynical side speaking, mind you), but if the comics could pull off a continuation, I guess I'm up for the TV writers to give it a try...

...even though every TV series I've seen that tried to pull it off landed an epic fail ("Heroes" and "Star Trek: Picard").

S

SpotlessMindUK

Remakes should be for films and shows that failed not for successful ones. I have always disliked the idea of remakes (reboots is just a fancy new term for it) and now it has come around to my favourite ever TV show to be re-done, the answer is still no.
Was I sad to see the show end? Sure. So do I want to see it return? No.
If they want to remake the terrible Buffy then go ahead but not the very successful, ground breaking TV series.
Another concern for me also is the series set in this modern age where you know they are going to make feminism and LGBTQ a huge part of the show whereas in the original show they had powerful female figures and gay characters without making a big deal of it, treated it as the norm as it should be.

T
thrasherpix
The live action Kim Possible was TRYING to be woke and was ironically less so than the cartoon series that wasn't even trying to be. I find it hard to believe the same writers were involved in both despite Disney's claims. Makes me wary of it all.

IndianaSolo221

Potential
I think I have to agree with those that say BtVS shouldn't be remade. While there are aspects of the show I think could've been handled better, for the most part, I love it as-is and don't want to see anyone try to remake it. My biggest issue with remakes is that, most of the time, they end up failing because everyone compares it to what came before, or, it just flops because those in charge didn't understand what made the film or show great in the first place.

That being said, I would be totally okay with a spin-off or any other additional BtVS content I could get my hands on. Honestly, if they're going to make another BtVS show or film, I think they should go animated, and maybe air it as adult swim? I'm not sure if BtVS and the adult swim audience would typically mix, but I think it could be cool...maybe that's just me.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think where the problem lies with a remake is that the original Buffy fandom is still going strong and is very reluctant for a reboot/remake. When they initially announced their plans for a reboot, reaction was lukewarm at best, so much so that they had to have their would be showrunner come out and say they weren't planning on redoing the original characters (though that doesn't mean that it won't be the same type of characters just with different names).

The other thing that would've made this reboot fail is that it was clearly going for wokeness. The fact that the only thing released about this reboot was that Buffy would be black rather than any other detail says as much. When you lead a series with identity politics, you are going to lose viewers. Given that the reboot would be a hard sell to the original fandom as it is, adding identity politics to the mix would only receive harsh criticism.

Just to clarify, a black Buffy isn't the issue, basing the whole show around Buffy being black is.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
I think where the problem lies with a remake is that the original Buffy fandom is still going strong and is very reluctant for a reboot/remake. When they initially announced their plans for a reboot, reaction was lukewarm at best, so much so that they had to have their would be showrunner come out and say they weren't planning on redoing the original characters (though that doesn't mean that it won't be the same type of characters just with different names).

The other thing that would've made this reboot fail is that it was clearly going for wokeness. The fact that the only thing released about this reboot was that Buffy would be black rather than any other detail says as much. When you lead a series with identity politics, you are going to lose viewers. Given that the reboot would be a hard sell to the original fandom as it is, adding identity politics to the mix would only receive harsh criticism.

Just to clarify, a black Buffy isn't the issue, basing the whole show around Buffy being black is.
I am black and would love a story centered around a diverse set of characters. BUT DO NOT CALL HER BUFFY. It cheapens both the original and says that a black slayer cannot be her own thing, which is patronizing. I want BtVS: TNG - a series set in a universe where Buffy lives and maybe is the head of the council or a mysterious aid in times of trouble who has retired mostly to a horse farm in Kentucky or who followed the career day path and became SSA Buffy Summers Pratt who lives near quantico. The new Hellmouth could arise in Hyattsville or washington, DC or something...

I love the original. I always wished they had made Jack Lord the father of the new H50 - and respected the past. Especially when (in Buffy's case) most of the actors are alive and probably willing and fans would love to see them again, even if just for cameos.

The biggest natural fandom would be the original one. Why not get us on board?

fivebyfaith

Townie
That being said, I would be totally okay with a spin-off or any other additional BtVS content I could get my hands on. Honestly, if they're going to make another BtVS show or film, I think they should go animated, and maybe air it as adult swim? I'm not sure if BtVS and the adult swim audience would typically mix, but I think it could be cool...maybe that's just me.
An animated Buffyverse show would be SICK, especially since I feel like animated shows are having a mainstream renaissance with Avatar being re-released on Netflix and the popularity of the She-Ra remake. I'm not sure if adult swim is the best place for it, I suppose it depends on the style they go with and the tonal feel of the show.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I think Japanese media is going to overshadow both US and UK entertainments (and funny how Japanese media can have more sympathetic characters who actually tick off a box when they don't try anywhere as hard, and come from a more socially conservative society to boot), much like how spaghetti westerns replaced Hollywood westerns (until Hollywood scrapped the old formula and imitated the more popular one). People can still get from their media what is nearly forbidden in ours, and generally doesn't coddle the audience.

And I'd be very interested in a BTVS made by the Japanese, especially if live action. In this case, I'd be cautiously optimistic even if it starts off with the very same characters (and I wouldn't care what their respective races and orientations were), though I'd prefer a Japanese counterpart with Japanese characters in Japan rather than Sunnydale. (Though I can see a sarcastic "Buffy" in this case replying to someone from England saying the earthquake is a sign of the apocalypse with a "welcome to Japan." :p ) And season 6? Literal kids stuff to them.

Their schools are so different (and read interesting commentaries by Japanese exchange students who spent a year in an American school) that that would be the biggest change (not that a Snyder would be out of the question). Children are much more independent from a young age (though parents can still be overbearing) that such wouldn't require as much suspended disbelief as much as the American version (at least not on this front, and as long as their grades were good).

S

SpotlessMindUK

Buffy (and Angel) was full of strong female characters both human and supernatural without the need to make that the whole focus of the show and episodes. Willow, Tara and Kennedy were gay characters without the need to go on about their sexuality every two minutes.
Both of those things would be abused in a remake/reboot as that is the world we live in now where show and film writers think they are being progressive but if they really wanted to be progressive then they would treat gender, sexuality, race, etc as part of the every day normal of life as it should be.
When Willow came out as gay (or bi) we just accepted it and moved on.

darkspook

Potential
Given the current climate and what is in the news... no I do not think Buffy should be remade nor do I think people will be rushing to jump on Buffy as a brand.

burrunjor

Potential
In light of all that's come out I'm guessing any talk of a Buffy sequel or reboot is pretty much dead now
100 percent.

I would have loved to have seen a version of Fray with Dana Delorenzo as the character as she would have been awesome in that role. She'd have been as perfect as that character as Sarah was as Buffy. Given what's come out about Joss however it seems that Dana was lucky she didn't work with him LOL.

DagonSphere

Potential
In light of all that's come out I'm guessing any talk of a Buffy sequel or reboot is pretty much dead now
You think so? I think Disney will see this as an opportunity. In the past whenever there was talk about a Buffy reboot without Joss, the internet went crazy. Now, everybody may feel more open to the idea of a new Buffy without Joss at the helm. I think this gives Disney the opportunity to reboot Buffy in whatever way they want, since the fandom has turned their back on Joss.

I agree. I remember how excited the charmed fans were when they heard about a reboot. But look how that turned out? Now most fans avoid it. I tried watching it but they made it political, took the humor and magic out of it & rushed storylines. If anything the boom comic run going on now would be how I see the reboot going if it's made. Rushing storylines, characters being introduced only to not get alot of storylines.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
You think so? I think Disney will see this as an opportunity. In the past whenever there was talk about a Buffy reboot without Joss, the internet went crazy. Now, everybody may feel more open to the idea of a new Buffy without Joss at the helm. I think this gives Disney the opportunity to reboot Buffy in whatever way they want, since the fandom has turned their back on Joss.
I feel like this is gonna be a conspiracy somehow.

I think with good writing, anything can be valid--even remakes and reboots. Hannibal is my favorite show from the past decade so I tend to think even iconic characters can be reinvented successfully.

I do agree, though, that personally I would be much more interested if the reboot was simply set in the same universe, but not employing and recasting the same characters from the original series.

Top Bottom