• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Buffy should not be re-made

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
Having thought about it I think it will be good to see a Buffy reboot, I'd like to laugh at what a load of crap the do-wa-diddy-diddys could imagine the reboot to be.
Apart from anything it'd give us lots more to talk about.
We still talking about it even without the reboot . And everything will have to be new since the whole town gone. And since it been so long you cant have the old cast in it . Angel & Spike would be the worst since they older in RL & they have to look the same since they Vampires .

Seeing Red

Villain
Black Thorn
I personally would like to see a reboot, or a new adaptation of buffy, or something in the buffyverse. I was pretty skeptical of the L Word Generation Q and that has turned out to be really enjoyable.

Now, I don't think anything can match up to the original, but a reboot may be able to fix the areas where they missed the mark and have more representation of bipoc and other minorities.

burrunjor

Scooby
I personally would like to see a reboot, or a new adaptation of buffy, or something in the buffyverse. I was pretty skeptical of the L Word Generation Q and that has turned out to be really enjoyable.

Now, I don't think anything can match up to the original, but a reboot may be able to fix the areas where they missed the mark and have more representation of bipoc and other minorities.

How would you or anyone else here feel about a Fray tv series? I think it would be the most logical choice, other than a remake.

It could be connected to the original by being set in the same universe, but it is set so far in the future that you wouldn't have to have any of the cast. It's got a good, quite unusual premise and since there was so little of it made sadly, there would be a lot of scope to add to the story.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
How would you or anyone else here feel about a Fray tv series? I think it would be the most logical choice, other than a remake.

It could be connected to the original by being set in the same universe, but it is set so far in the future that you wouldn't have to have any of the cast. It's got a good, quite unusual premise and since there was so little of it made sadly, there would be a lot of scope to add to the story.

Fray doesn't have the brand name recognition that Buffy the Vampire Slayer does. If you haven't read the comics then you wouldn't know who the hell Fray was.

BuffyNvrForgets

Slayerette
I agree, Buffy shouldn’t be remade. I would be hesitantly okay with a show focusing on a new slayer or something, but let’s be honest, unless they got everyone from the original series, which isn’t likely, it will probably ruin people view of our Buffy. Hey, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Now, I would DESPISE it if they tried to make a modern day remake of Buffy. That is, recasting all the roles and giving them all smart phones. I don’t want to see “new young teenage Buffy”, we already have that and it’s better. Sarah Michelle Gellar is Buffy. End of story. I don’t want to say “Sarah Michelle Geller was Buffy in the 90s, Blah Blah is the new Buffy”. No, no, no. Again, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. The BOOM! comics are cute, but a reboot would mean so much…

if you must do a reboot, fine.
But Unless it’s SMG, Buffy isn’t in it, and I’m fine with that because I can rewatch Buffy the Vampire Slayer as much as I want. (That goes for all the other characters too.)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I agree, Buffy shouldn’t be remade. I would be hesitantly okay with a show focusing on a new slayer or something, but let’s be honest, unless they got everyone from the original series, which isn’t likely, it will probably ruin people view of our Buffy. Hey, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Now, I would DESPISE it if they tried to make a modern day remake of Buffy. That is, recasting all the roles and giving them all smart phones. I don’t want to see “new young teenage Buffy”, we already have that and it’s better. Sarah Michelle Gellar is Buffy. End of story. I don’t want to say “Sarah Michelle Geller was Buffy in the 90s, Blah Blah is the new Buffy”. No, no, no. Again, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. The BOOM! comics are cute, but a reboot would mean so much…

if you must do a reboot, fine.
But Unless it’s SMG, Buffy isn’t in it, and I’m fine with that because I can rewatch Buffy the Vampire Slayer as much as I want. (That goes for all the other characters too.)

If they did do a reboot/sequel, they should bring back the character Anne and make her daughter the new Buffy. Not only could they then use the brand recognition, they would also have a valid reason for having her called Buffy rather than just cashing in. The real Buffy saved Anne's life twice and helped her turn her life around, it would make sense that she would name her daughter after the person who saved and changed her life.

That way you respect the original and keep it as its own thing whilst having the freedom to do what you want with the new show without ruining the original.

burrunjor

Scooby
Fray doesn't have the brand name recognition that Buffy the Vampire Slayer does. If you haven't read the comics then you wouldn't know who the hell Fray was.

True but that doesn't mean you couldn't do a series. After all Buffy itself was relatively obscure before the series.

Fray I think would seem to be the best option as on the one hand you could market it as a continuation of the Buffyverse. (Maybe even do one crossover episode, where Buffy is sent forward in time and works with her. If you really wanted you could even have Willow in the future. Fray doesn't have a mentor, mr/mrs exposition, so maybe Willow who has been kept alive for centuries via magic and is a darker, but not evil character could fulfill that role for Fray?)

On the one hand it would be totally different to Buffy. It's such an unusual setting for a Vampire/supernatural series of the far future. It's like Blade Runner meets Hammer Horror. I really do think there is a lot of mileage in it.

(Also Dana Delorenzo would just be so perfect as Fray. Thrasherpix knows who I am talking about. ;) )

T
thrasherpix
I wasn't up for a Fray show (though I love cyberpunk) until you mentioned Dana Delorenzo as Fray, and now I'm loving the idea.

BuffyNvrForgets

Slayerette
If they did do a reboot/sequel, they should bring back the character Anne and make her daughter the new Buffy. Not only could they then use the brand recognition, they would also have a valid reason for having her called Buffy rather than just cashing in. The real Buffy saved Anne's life twice and helped her turn her life around, it would make sense that she would name her daughter after the person who saved and changed her life.

That way you respect the original and keep it as its own thing whilst having the freedom to do what you want with the new show without ruining the original.
Yeah, I could agree with that. It might get a little confusing, but it’s WAY better than just making it Buffy Summers but modern day.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Yeah, I could agree with that. It might get a little confusing, but it’s WAY better than just making it Buffy Summers but modern day.

They could even have a cameo from SMG where her Buffy turns up for whatever reason and fights monsters and she meets new Buffy and SMG Buffy asks "who are you?" then new Buffy replies "I'm Buffy, the vampire slayer, and you are?"

BuffyNvrForgets

Slayerette
They could even have a cameo from SMG where her Buffy turns up for whatever reason and fights monsters and she meets new Buffy and SMG Buffy asks "who are you?" then new Buffy replies "I'm Buffy, the vampire slayer, and you are?"

ha! Now that would be cute.

TheMaster666

Townie
Hi

Is anyone of the view that Buffy is a classic and iconic and should not be re-made. I simply cannot imagine anyone else playing those characters. I think instead the show should continue to be watched by different generations. It’s just perfect and doesn’t need a do-over. I don’t think anything would come close to doing it justice. Thoughts?

Basically my thoughts on all remakes of the past decade or more. It didn't always use to be that way. Remakes, when far and few between, were sometimes actually better than the original. But the nonstop remakes of today are so obviously about making easy sales because people will recognize familiar, established brand names. What puzzles me is how these remakes still sell like hotcakes, when they seem to always be terrible, or at the least inferior to whatever original movie/show they did over. But usually just terrible, period.

Instead of a Buffy reboot, it might be nice to see Buffy audio adventures with the original cast, kind of like how Doctor Who has the Big Finish audios. Or a new video game would be nice as well, the last one was for the original Xbox.

AnthonyCordova

modulating between criticism and reconstruction
Sineya
I would be for a new Buffy; more for the sake of a new generation of fans than for me though. Provided, of course, that the storytelling standards don't sink below the old Buffy to the level of your average streaming show today.

Angel6

Potential
Sineya
I think it’s not happening is it at this point, it’s all gone quiet, Disney clearly wants to avoid it after the Whedon fall out.

burrunjor

Scooby
I think it’s not happening is it at this point, it’s all gone quiet, Disney clearly wants to avoid it after the Whedon fall out.

Yes I agree. I will say that I was surprised that the cast all came forward about how much of a dick Joss was, only in the sense that they kind of torpedoed themselves as they made Buffy a bit of a no go area for the ever sensitive industry these days.

I'm sure it will blow over, but right now I sadly don't see Buffy get hailed as a great example of a female character quite as much anymore, because the attitude is "Joss is such a dick let's not give him credit for anything."

I guess Joss must have been so bad to them that they really couldn't hold it in any longer LOL.

BuffyNvrForgets

Slayerette
Yes I agree. I will say that I was surprised that the cast all came forward about how much of a dick Joss was, only in the sense that they kind of torpedoed themselves as they made Buffy a bit of a no go area for the ever sensitive industry these days.

I'm sure it will blow over, but right now I sadly don't see Buffy get hailed as a great example of a female character quite as much anymore, because the attitude is "Joss is such a dick let's not give him credit for anything."

I guess Joss must have been so bad to them that they really couldn't hold it in any longer LOL.
You are right. It’s so silly. Buffy didn’t do those things. She does not encourage those things. When anything close to it is addressed, it’s clear they categorize it as WRONG. Sure, by all means don’t praise Joss Whedon, (he is very talented to make these great shows, but his inappropriate behavior SHOULD NOT be ignored, or accepted in any way), but you can still talk about and enjoy Buffy as the wonderful, empowering show it is.

Yeah, it makes me upset thinking about it now, but I just look at it this way.
Joss Whedon makes amazing shows. He writes amazing characters.
I love Joss Whedon’s creations.
Is he the kinda guy I wanna hang out with? Heck no.

Maybe it’s good people won’t be sniffing around the Buffy name trying to reboot it. Because, come on. Name one good reboot!

I personally don’t feel bad or weird about liking Buffy,or Firefly, or any of Those other things, even knowing what he did. Because the shows don’t encourage that. They actually discourage that. Yes, some characters behave badly (*cough, cough* lookin’ at you, Spike) but it’s not glorified. It’s clear that it’s BAD.

That’s another reason I don’t want a reboot. I feel like, and the cast has said similar things (much to my surprise) that if Joss isn’t heading up a reboot, it shouldn’t happen. I agree, I wouldn’t trust Buffy with other people.
but unfortunately, I also wouldn’t trust him to respect any other people working on it, so better not.

TheMaster666

Townie
It’s funny how two wrongs sometimes make a right.
Post automatically merged:

You are right. It’s so silly. Buffy didn’t do those things. She does not encourage those things. When anything close to it is addressed, it’s clear they categorize it as WRONG. Sure, by all means don’t praise Joss Whedon, (he is very talented to make these great shows, but his inappropriate behavior SHOULD NOT be ignored, or accepted in any way), but you can still talk about and enjoy Buffy as the wonderful, empowering show it is.

Yeah, it makes me upset thinking about it now, but I just look at it this way.
Joss Whedon makes amazing shows. He writes amazing characters.
I love Joss Whedon’s creations.
Is he the kinda guy I wanna hang out with? Heck no.

Maybe it’s good people won’t be sniffing around the Buffy name trying to reboot it. Because, come on. Name one good reboot!

I personally don’t feel bad or weird about liking Buffy,or Firefly, or any of Those other things, even knowing what he did. Because the shows don’t encourage that. They actually discourage that. Yes, some characters behave badly (*cough, cough* lookin’ at you, Spike) but it’s not glorified. It’s clear that it’s BAD.

That’s another reason I don’t want a reboot. I feel like, and the cast has said similar things (much to my surprise) that if Joss isn’t heading up a reboot, it shouldn’t happen. I agree, I wouldn’t trust Buffy with other people.
but unfortunately, I also wouldn’t trust him to respect any other people working on it, so better not.
Heck, even if he were doing it, it’s been nearly 20 years since it ended. Chris Carter (and I think Frank Spotnitz) were still behind the short-lived X-Files reboot. Did they attempt to answer some of those unanswered questions from the original finale and provide the closure that was lacking in that ill-fated 9th season? Did they use the stardom of David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson to help launch an X-Files: The Next Generation? Or just at the very least show some semblance of growth or even continuity with the original series? NOPE. Was just yet another lame reboot like Disney’s not-Star Wars from the same year. So Mulder and Scully are now OLDER than their mentor figures from the original show, yet they’re still portraying the same characters that they were 30 years ago? In roles that were already getting stale in 1999? By all means, keep Mulder and Scully as long as you can; we love them, but good god give us something new. They should act their age. Instead what I saw was a poor attempt at X-Files: The 20th Anniversary High School Reunion. Just have the old actors back for a while to relive old memories in scripts that have worse writing than the most meandering, run-of-the-mill monster of the week stories or nonsensical mythology episodes from the 7th or 9th seasons.

Sorry, this turned into a bit of an X-Files rant, but I was rather looking forward to new X-Files episodes, not a “running through the motions without substance” affair that is not going to appeal to long-time fanboys nor newcomers without any previous interest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom