• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy stunt coordinator and double accused Joss Whedon of being an 'egomaniac' and demanding they break up

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Watcher
Black Thorn
The article won’t load for me, is it Crawford and Pruitt (?) again? In that case I’d say they want attention for their youtube channel or something and people no longer care what they used to say about SMG. Maybe Whedon is an easier target now, since he’s been criticized for other things in public.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Yes, its them.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

You gotta go be gay for that poor, dead intern...
Black Thorn
The current trend of people slamming big name celebrities years later annoys me to no end. If you didn't say anything when an alleged incident actually happened, you can just STAY quiet now. Don't come at us decades later with your sob story. Go home and stick your head in the oven, okay?

I will support nearly ANYONE who is accused of something years later, because it's unfair and disgusting for this kind of shit to happen.

kReEsTaL
kReEsTaL
I get your point, but isn’t it very likely that they were under contrast at the time, didn't talk about it to avoid getting fired/sued?

thrasherpix

Scooby
I was able to load it via laptop. Don't bother disabling the ad blocker, because...well, I'll refrain from using profanity. I will say anyone who accesses sites like that on a regular basis should run some crap cleaner on their computer on a regular basis as well, and I'm TRYING to reboot my lappie now (FINALLY, quick scan now, better one later--quick scan already over, now a long scan...and pray it's not over just as fast or I'll know it's infected). I'll be running a virus scan on this computer very soon as well.

As for what I recall...why does everyone cry these days when someone is mean to them? Sheesh. Not saying she shouldn't have gotten mad (and done something about it, legal or otherwise) if that happened, but I thought princesses raised in a bubble, forever little girls no matter how old they got, broke down in tears every time a man raised his voice to make an unreasonable and asinine demand of her. Too bad she didn't get more inspiration from the characters of the show. Sure, Buffy cried, but not over THAT.

Priceless

Scooby
I haven't opened the link and I don't intend to. I can imagine what they are saying and I don't doubt there is some truth to it. Whedon is a director, he's not going to be all sweetness and light, he's in charge of getting the action on film, he's going to be tough and hard-assed when he needs to be. I imagine it's in the job description. I would also believe he's got a large ego, but to get where he got, you have to have an ego, or your whole career would consist of writing scripts for second rate genre dramas or comedy shows.

LeeJones41

Potential
The current trend of people slamming big name celebrities years later annoys me to no end. If you didn't say anything when an alleged incident actually happened, you can just STAY quiet now. Don't come at us decades later with your sob story. Go home and stick your head in the oven, okay?

I will support nearly ANYONE who is accused of something years later, because it's unfair and disgusting for this kind of shit to happen.

I won't. It's not about whether Whedon is guilty or not. I'm just getting tired of the whole thing. I'm getting tired of the accusations. And I'm getting tired of people going out of their way to defend or make excuses for those being accused. I'm just tired.

katmobile

Scooby
I won't. It's not about whether Whedon is guilty or not. I'm just getting tired of the whole thing. I'm getting tired of the accusations. And I'm getting tired of people going out of their way to defend or make excuses for those being accused. I'm just tired.
It's complicated because sometimes people didn't make accusations at the time because they knew they wouldn't be believed so I try to look at it on a case by case basis. However considering that these guys previously bad mouthed Sarah I'm inclined to believe that in this case they're just bitter they got made redundant and are looking to blame whoever they think they can get away with blaming. If there's independent collaboration I could change my mind.

katmobile

Scooby

I'm sorry but incitement to suicide just isn't on - seriously just listen to yourself!!

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Cancel culture is such a big thing right now, it doesn't surprise me that you've got people trying to jump on the bandwagon and take revenge on people they've fallen out with in the past. Whedon has always been a bit off a jackass and being treated as having godlike status by his fans would've only fed his ego.

I don't think people really care about this at this point, there are bigger issues to worry about that could have disastrous consequences for the future, a couple bitching about their ex-boss isn't high on anyone's concern list.

LeeJones41

Potential
It's complicated because sometimes people didn't make accusations at the time because they knew they wouldn't be believed so I try to look at it on a case by case basis. However considering that these guys previously bad mouthed Sarah I'm inclined to believe that in this case they're just bitter they got made redundant and are looking to blame whoever they think they can get away with blaming. If there's independent collaboration I could change my mind.
I don't care one way or the other. I don't see how we can judge people - whether they be Whedon, Gellar or their accusers - since we don't really know them.

Angel6

Potential

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think the JM interview was taken out of context by the author of the article. He's told that story before, he used to be invited over Joss' house, I don't think there is any hard feelings between him and Joss. Whilst that incident does show that Joss can be unprofessional at times, and that is clearly something he needs to work on because there have been repeated incidents with various other people, the telling phrase was "those looking to "cancel" Joss". Joss has a target on his back so people are starting to come out of the woodwork to get their own digs in.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
But there were decidedly different parts in this story than in the way he told it before. Parts that made it seem much more ominous.
I think if there ever was a major issue, it would've been brought up before now. It's also worth baring in mind that this incident occurred about 21/22 years ago so JM's retelling isn't going to be perfect and there will be variations. Other versions has Joss telling JM that he just made it easier for JM to get laid.

There was obviously an interaction between Whedon and JM that fell far below a professional standard, but let's not forget that JM was also in Whedon's little club of Buffy cast members (alongside AH) so whatever this incident was, they'd both moved on from it and JM just uses it as an anecdote story. If the topic of conversation was about Whedon going off on people then JM is going to add his experience to the mix since it's relevant to the conversation, but I doubt he's doing it because he wants Joss "cancelled".

Priceless

Scooby
I think the writers have been combing the archives looking for stories on Whedon because one actor has accused him of being aggressive etc. They're just digging up any dirt they can find.

Antho
Antho
Joss does have a hard time

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
It makes me wonder what was happening on that set. Telling someone to do stunts differently or getting the stunt coordinator out of the way and out of the shot would be something you would expect a director to do. Telling the stunt coordinator to break up with the stuntwoman is not something I would expect someone to say. What went on that would make Joss say that and not something different that would be more work-related? I suspect Joss wanted something to be done differently and the coordinator jumped to the stuntwoman's defense and argued with Joss about it.

As for the keylogger on his computer, he never says it was installed by Joss - just that he found it on his computer. I doubt Joss has the expertise to remotely install a keylogger but he could have had it done. But also, anyone on the set could have done that for his own purposes. Scandal magazines and newspapers would pay a lot for a glimpse of what was actually going on on a popular series. And a producer might want to know what was being said about the show and personnel on it as time went on - this is also not necessarily about Joss.

No specifics are given - there is no indication of which episode caused the problem or what Joss wanted done versus what Jeff and Sophia wanted. It sounds like Sophia was welcome on the set as long as Jeff was not there and a different stunt coordinator was in place. We have heard similar things from Jeff Pruitt before and it looks like he just wants publicity. There are two things about getting people to work together:

1. You can never have two Type A personalities on the same set.
2. The director has to be a Type A personality.

It is clear that personality clashes will happen otherwise but from what we see, it is not automatically clear that Joss was wrong. Saying "certain members of the crew stated plotting against each other" does not implicate Joss. And saying jobs got pulled after an agreement had been made? Again, Joss may have said something that was totally true - Jeff comes across as a hothead who can't believe he needs supervision.

Top Bottom