• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer getting new book series from Simon Pulse

Sineya
Not heard a thing.......There hasn't been a new Buffy novel out for years. I think 'One thing or your Mother' was the last & that's got to be 7/8 years ago......

Even with the '20 Years' boost I can't see them bringing any new ones out....possibly just reprinting the old ones to wring a bit more money out of them?

Sineya
Okay, not what I was expecting. A series of books about a new Slayer, one of those created by Willow. Could be interesting.

Wonder how much licence she will be given to use established characters?

Hell, who knows, if they're any good someone might make a TV show out of them.... ;)

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
You right . This could be a way to get people into watching a TV show since it hopefully be set with modern things.

Wonder who it be ? Any guesses.

Sineya
What, who the Slayer will be?

From the article it looks like she is going to create a whole new character....probably one that was not even in SunnyD for the battle with the first.

white avenger

white avenger
From the article it looks like she is going to create a whole new character....probably one that was not even in SunnyD for the battle with the first.
That's probably the best approach. That way, there's much more creative flexibility and no "misportraying" any long established, and well loved, characters.

Hopefully, the new series will be something better than the "young adult" fare that the earlier novelizations were. Most of the "young adult" fans of the show are, obviously, 20 years older now, and I, for one, would like to read something more mature than "Nancy Drew & The Vampires."

ChaseRules

Sineya
That's probably the best approach. That way, there's much more creative flexibility and no "misportraying" any long established, and well loved, characters.

Hopefully, the new series will be something better than the "young adult" fare that the earlier novelizations were. Most of the "young adult" fans of the show are, obviously, 20 years older now, and I, for one, would like to read something more mature than "Nancy Drew & The Vampires."
Wonder how much of the regular characters will be in there . It said a new Slayer but some of them will have to make a appearance just to tie them with Buffy & her friends .

Hopefully they have more bite to them . ( Sorry but couldn't resist :p:p )

matt124

Potential
Excited, and wondering if the original characters appear in it.

Also curious if it is set in 2017 or 2018 and present day. Because it would be about 15 years since Sunnydale was destroyed. Highly doubt they could have rebuilt the town in the time, so would this new slayer be looking after another Hellmouth.

Yeah many of the fans back in the day are late 20s and 30s now, or even 40s. I honestly would be up for a more adult version and see a different take on it being mature.

A small part of me wishes for a story where Buffy's daughter becomes a slayer. That would be the best way to do a Buffy revival. Buffy passing the torch over to her and carrying on the legacy, and we can still get appearances from the original cast. But if they do this, I fear they will kill off Buffy for good. Otherwise Buffy's daughter would always be running to her mother for help.

Why not do it with this slayer being older, and starting college or even in their late 20s. Why does it have to be high school again. Take it in a different direction. Part of me, I guess since I am older than when I was in the show. Kinda wished we got to explore more adult themes. I wished we got a Buffy spin-off or movie set later which is well passed teens and early 20s.

Last edited:
Sineya
Yeah many of the fans back in the day are late 20s and 30s now, or even 40s.
Or even 50's ;)

From the article it looks like the story will be set in modern times.....but no indication of the theme (School, college, work, etc) or even mention of a Hellmouth.
With a completely new Slayer they could go anywhere.......Probably will still be set in the USA as the bulk of the sales will be targeted there....

ChaseRules
ChaseRules
50 ? You want help getting up LOL

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Or even 50's ;)

From the article it looks like the story will be set in modern times.....but no indication of the theme (School, college, work, etc) or even mention of a Hellmouth.
With a completely new Slayer they could go anywhere.......Probably will still be set in the USA as the bulk of the sales will be targeted there....
And it's a Young Adult series, so I imagine it would be high school setting again. Plus I doubt it would be considered canon at all, honestly. That might be hard to explain all of the changes in the world if you make it mesh with the comics, so I doubt it would have any significant ties to the original IP.

Sineya
Yeah, it does sound like its going to be 'In the same universe, but far removed from the comics' if it is even close to being regarded as cannon......

matt124

Potential
Or even 50's ;)

:) Well I have meet a fan online a number of years ago who adored Charmed and Buffy too, who said she was in her early 50s when she started watching. Now she is in her 70's.

Again, I love meeting and reading opinions of fans from all walks of life, and different generations. As each generation sees a show differently. So I always love wishing I could be in the shoes of those who first watched at the age of Joyce or Giles and now growing older, my opinions on the show has changed.

Back to the topic. Oh so we have no idea of the setting. It can go anywhere. Fingers crossed it isn't high school, and beyond that. I guess I am just hoping for something a little mature.

And it's a Young Adult series, so I imagine it would be high school setting again. Plus I doubt it would be considered canon at all, honestly. That might be hard to explain all of the changes in the world if you make it mesh with the comics, so I doubt it would have any significant ties to the original IP.
You have a point, and the comics are like a decade behind still stuck in 2006 and 2007. So if it is apart of the show, it can't be canon. Otherwise it will be set a decade beyond what the comics are doing.

ChaseRules

Sineya
Agreed . It couldn't be called canon but that if you want it to mesh with the comics . They could just have it set in modern times & maybe have it set in college with the slayer watching over it while taking choices there alone with one or two friends who are in the know . Her Watcher could live in town & since she not really active they don't have a lot of supplies . How that sounds ?

white avenger

white avenger
Wonder how much of the regular characters will be in there . It said a new Slayer but some of them will have to make a appearance just to tie them with Buffy & her friends .
Probably none, beyond a brief mention. The less said about the old gang, the better. It avoids questions like, "Why isn't (insert name) here? Is he/she dead?"

Yeah many of the fans back in the day are late 20s and 30s now, or even 40s.
How about almost 70?

A small part of me wishes for a story where Buffy's daughter becomes a slayer.
Bite your tongue!!! Do you have any idea the can of worms something like that would open? Buffy's two major boyfriends are Spike and that other guy, both vampires and incapable of fathering children (Connor wasn't a child, he was a nuisance made flesh) Plus, Buffy having a daughter in 2017 who is old enough to be a Slayer would would be impossible unless she was pregnant before the series ended, which she obviously was not, because it would have been mentioned in the comics.

And it's a Young Adult series, so I imagine it would be high school setting again.
Why is a TV series that dealt with as mature a subject matter as this has to be aimed at kids who weren't even alive when the show was airing? Almost certainly, the majority of the fans are adults by now, so why can't the books be written on our level? As I said before, this show was never "Nancy Drew & The Vampires," so why would the books be written that way?

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Why is a TV series that dealt with as mature a subject matter as this has to be aimed at kids who weren't even alive when the show was airing? Almost certainly, the majority of the fans are adults by now, so why can't the books be written on our level? As I said before, this show was never "Nancy Drew & The Vampires," so why would the books be written that way?
Because Buffy, with the exception of two seasons when arguably the show spiraled off course, was a teen show. They are wanting to capture a new teen audience without them being offended by dated context. Then hopefully the new teen audience that are exposed to the book series, can in turn, watch the show. They are not doing this for the current fans, they are doing this to create new fans. Even in the EW cast reunion article they called Buffy a teen soap show.

matt124

Potential
Probably none, beyond a brief mention. The less said about the old gang, the better. It avoids questions like, "Why isn't (insert name) here? Is he/she dead?"

How about almost 70?

Bite your tongue!!! Do you have any idea the can of worms something like that would open? Buffy's two major boyfriends are Spike and that other guy, both vampires and incapable of fathering children (Connor wasn't a child, he was a nuisance made flesh) Plus, Buffy having a daughter in 2017 who is old enough to be a Slayer would would be impossible unless she was pregnant before the series ended, which she obviously was not, because it would have been mentioned in the comics.

Wow, I spoke to someone a few years back online who loved Buffy and she was about your age now. So your definitely not alone. But I really do love seeing fans from all walks of life and generations. Because I love to hear opinions from someone from a different generation. It's fun.

Why I still love online forums. I don't like social media to talk about my favorite shows. I just find it too one worded. You can't have healthy discussions and really in depth talks on social media than online forums. I don't like it at all. Not having a go at social media, just I don't ever use it to talk about my shows.

I still love online forums. I hope they never die, because I refuse to use social media and twitter and facebook for discussions. They are no in depth as forums. All I find is shipping wars, yelling, one worded answers and drama.

It sucks that can't write them that way. Especially because of the generations differences and adults who were teens watching. Because they didn't grow up with the show. It should follow with the generation that first saw.
Unless they rebooted buffy one day with a new show or spin-off that targets the new generation.

Top Bottom