• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Hellmouth

GreyWalker1958

Potential
I'm really looking forward to the Angel & Spike arc. Please don't disappoint me Boom 🤨
Right....just don't mess up. My dissatisfaction in Belliarie is on par with Gischler and Beckho (new seed of wonder be damned)

Last edited by a moderator:

Priceless

Scooby
Right....just don't **** up. My dissatisfaction in Belliarie is on par with Gischler and Beckho (new seed of wonder be damned)
Bellaire has great moments and great lines, but she can't string them together and she's no good at building character.

Bryan Edward Hill is writing Angel, and I hope that he can at least differentiate between Angel and Spike as characters. Angel in Boom is written more open, funnier and takes on a few of what I would consider Spike's personality traits. I think Hill will concentrate on one being souled and one not, but I'm hoping for more. If it's as bad as Hellmouth, I'm out.

GreyWalker1958

Potential
Bellaire has great moments and great lines, but she can't string them together and she's no good at building character.

Bryan Edward Hill is writing Angel, and I hope that he can at least differentiate between Angel and Spike as characters. Angel in Boom is written more open, funnier and takes on a few of what I would consider Spike's personality traits. I think Hill will concentrate on one being souled and one not, but I'm hoping for more. If it's as bad as Hellmouth, I'm out.
More like a hybrid of how he was early in BS1 from his WTTH/Harvest appearance and post-Darla bang in S2. Not a bad thing but Im sure Hill remembers who's the brooding soul formally known as Angelus (and double formally known as the Irish lush Liam) and who's supposed to be the snarky Victorian Englishman/Mummy's Boy.

For Boom's sake, they might as well do some post OC series one-shots and minis (plus some more stories set between the TV and comic seasons) as backup plus Angel's own private The Reckoning in case both titles fizzle out. Otherwise, a certain Mouse Demon* should've left the license with Dark Horse and keep it moving. Though I trust IDW more since they at least did something with other supporting characters without letting them gather dust after only a 4 part story (Looking at you, A&F re: Gunn & Connor....)

*puts on my Ricky Gervaias voice* Shut up! I know you love X-Men and F4 back at home but I don't care.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
So they've killed off Dino, Xander's dead, Buffy is just there because her name is Buffy. These comics are a load of rubbish.

Also the girl and guy at the end look like a version of Buffy and Xander. Is Willow looking for replacements?

Priceless

Scooby
Buffy is just there because her name is Buffy
Unfortunately this is true. Buffy lacks personality, she can do nothing alone, she did once read a comic which the writer thinks is giving her an inner life. The comics should have been named after Xander or Willow, who have much more personality. Or Anya, who's come storming through as a major player and a great character.

GreyWalker1958

Potential
So they've killed off Dino, Xander's dead, Buffy is just there because her name is Buffy. These comics are a load of rubbish.

Also the girl and guy at the end look like a version of Buffy and Xander. Is Willow looking for replacements?

Compared to the multiple TMNT comics which try and succeed in recapturing respective previous series, Buffy!2019 lacks.

Its too much, too fast, and too soon. Especially with certain future season characters and even alternate universes (a theme that can easily be a big theme of a Season Thirteen comic run of choice)

As it stands, Im not too fond of the Hellmother who in concept could've made a better S7/TV Final Boss than the First. Hell, I'd take a remix of the Annointed One but with Jessie or friggin' Harmony in advanced over how things played out

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
Unfortunately this is true. Buffy lacks personality, she can do nothing alone, she did once read a comic which the writer thinks is giving her an inner life. The comics should have been named after Xander or Willow, who have much more personality. Or Anya, who's come storming through as a major player and a great character.
I disagree. I think we've gotten some good stuff here and there. And now Xander is dead and Willow is leaving, so there will be more opportunities for Buffy to shine. It is just too bad this Hellmouth thing wasn't better, as Buffy has been running around, speaking nonsense for what feels like ages.

Anya is a major player, it seems, but I don't think she is a great character. She is like Lilith over on Angel.

GreyWalker1958

Potential
I disagree. I think we've gotten some good stuff here and there. And now Xander is dead and Willow is leaving, so there will be more opportunities for Buffy to shine. It is just too bad this Hellmouth thing wasn't better, as Buffy has been running around, speaking nonsense for what feels like ages.

Anya is a major player, it seems, but I don't think she is a great character. She is like Lilith over on Angel.
Still trying to figure what's the point of her since she kinda bypasses Doyle (and even Cordy getting his visions) in future opportunities for him to appear in this canon.

But I trust Hill knows what he's doing unlike Jordie over on Buffy.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
The Angel comics are awful. They managed to make Fred more boring than she is in the TV show, which is quite the achievement.
I find it silly that there's been several issues of both the Buffy and the Angel comics without Buffy or Angel actually being in them. It's the side characters show. Buffy and Angel are only there because of their names.

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
I find it silly that there's been several issues of both the Buffy and the Angel comics without Buffy or Angel actually being in them. It's the side characters show. Buffy and Angel are only there because of their names.
Well, I find this a silly criticism. Buffy and Angel had their own series just to themselves.

Priceless

Scooby

I'm not sure how it will play out, there might be a time jump and we'll jump back in with Willow's return. Even with Willow leaving to get over Xander's death, that shows more personality than Buffy, who simply stand in the corridor and cries. What's that all about? Does this Buffy lack so much confidence that she daren't 'do this alone'?

It doesn't help that Buffy is a cardboard cutout character and they can put any emotion on her, because we just don't know her. She went into the Hellmouth and faced the biggest bad yet, she comforted Giles who burst into tears over Xander's death, yet now she stands in a corridor crying because Willow's leaving. None of this makes coherent sense, unless they're going for Buffy containing endless different slayer personalities?

I'm loving Anya. I like that she's an ex-Watcher, that she's clever and take charge and she speaks to Giles as an equal.

I'm also not a fan of Willow's 'I can't just be here for you all the time'. They've made Buffy the sidekick. I hope you're right and Buffy comes more to the forefront of the story, but it's obvious the writer is not a fan of the character imo.

I know I sound really negative, but I do agree they've managed some good stuff here and there, especially with Xander, who's been great. And I'm really looking forward to the Angel & Spike comic, the previews look great!

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Well, I find this a silly criticism. Buffy and Angel had their own series just to themselves.
Seriously? You've got a comic series called BUFFY the vampire Slayer and a Comic series called ANGEL and yet neither Buffy nor Angel appear in the series named after them specifically for several issues in a row.

And I'm really looking forward to the Angel & Spike comic, the previews look great!
What previews?

Priceless

Scooby
What previews?
I've started a new thread with the preview of Angel & Spike #9 (it's actually #9 of Angel, they've just tacked Spikes name into the title)

Oh and in that Angel says he's been missing for two weeks, so I assume the Hellmouth comics took place over two weeks. I was discussing the timeline with someone

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
Thanks.

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
Seriously? You've got a comic series called BUFFY the vampire Slayer and a Comic series called ANGEL and yet neither Buffy nor Angel appear in the series named after them specifically for several issues in a row.
it's obvious the writer is not a fan of the character imo.
How does making a seperate comic series just for Buffy and Angel show that Jordie doesn't like the character?
I'm not sure how it will play out, there might be a time jump and we'll jump back in with Willow's return.
That would be very odd.
Does this Buffy lack so much confidence that she daren't 'do this alone'?
It doesn't help that Buffy is a cardboard cutout character and they can put any emotion on her, because we just don't know her. She went into the Hellmouth and faced the biggest bad yet, she comforted Giles who burst into tears over Xander's death, yet now she stands in a corridor crying because Willow's leaving. None of this makes coherent sense, unless they're going for Buffy containing endless different slayer personalities?
All this fits with how Buffy is in the show. She may be strong, but she breaks down when she doesn't have her friends to support her.

I think Jordie did great things with Buffy before Hellmouth. Hellmouth was a bit of a mess. Glad it's over. But it allowed some time to develop the side characters.

Priceless

Scooby
How does making a seperate comic series just for Buffy and Angel show that Jordie doesn't like the character?
I get the impression that Bellaire much prefers Willow. Look at what Willow gets to do and say compared to Buffy. Willow is the hero of this comic, she gave up half her soul for her best friend and we see the fullness of her life and character. We see very little of that with Buffy imo.

We meet a petulant teen in the Tuna Shack, who doesn't get on with her step dad and is a worry to her mother. This puts Bryan in a good light, which is Buffy's role in this comic. The only clue to any inner life she may have is that she reads one comic once. (She may reference that in a later issue, but I only remember it being shown once)

Then what else do we have? She likes Robin, but is rude to him, she and Willow argue and Willow is seen as far more powerful and confident. Buffy is lost within this comic, she's the sidekick. Her first meeting with Angel has her staring angrily at the girl Robin is dancing with, Angel gets the better lines and once again Buffy's just there to put another character into a good light.

I admit I've only read each issue once, and this is my gut reaction on the things I remember. I will go back and re-read, try and find something I like about Buffy, something that shows she has an inner life and isn't a cardboard cutout.

GreyWalker1958

Potential
The Angel comics are awful. They managed to make Fred more boring than she is in the TV show, which is quite the achievement.
Really???

Not sure how her being in an institution as opposed to Pylea would be boring. Plus her being heavily tied to W&H with Lilah courting doesn't scream it

Priceless

Scooby
The thing I'm not fond of with the new Fred is that she's magical. One of the great things about the old Fred was that she was Scully, a scientist and inventor, now they've turned her into the classic witchy type. We've got Willow for that, I'd rather have a female character that's a scientist.

GreyWalker1958

Potential
The thing I'm not fond of with the new Fred is that she's magical. One of the great things about the old Fred was that she was Scully, a scientist and inventor, now they've turned her into the classic witchy type. We've got Willow for that, I'd rather have a female character that's a scientist.
Assuming if they keep this. Otherwise, I can see them falling back on the science aspect as her crutch before accepting the magical

Top Bottom