• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Seasons 1-4 or Seasons 5-7?

Which do you prefer

• Total voters

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
The show made its mark on earlier seasons before it fell into the unrelenting misery of Season 6 or the disjointed writing of Season 7. Season 5 was OK but Season 4 got bogged down in the Initiative story that could have been written better, so my preference is Seasons 1, 2, 3, 5 but all seasons are welcome.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I prefer watching the early seasons because they are, objectively, simply better written. The themes, the character arcs, the good guys, the bad guys, everything. But its not like a want the latter seasons to cease existing.
I'm not on the 'Buffy should've stayed dead at the end of S5' train. I'm glad she got to break the rules (again) and live a happy ending away from pain and isolation (or so I imagine because half the time I reject the comics reality), that's of the good.

And for the record I really enjoy S5; I like Dawn, the themes work and the whole thing resonates; so much so that I can overlook some of the contrivance because every season has contrivance. This season is proof that the Buffy show can deal with adult themes if the writing is good enough; Season 5's look at illness, fear of loss and grief is Buffy at its most adult, and its actually pretty depressing/hard going in parts. Still great though, up there with the high school ones, booting S1 down a rung or two.

Those last two seasons though...oof but they're rocky. There's still good stuff here and by this point I'm invested in the characters anyway so...but each season has their own massive pitfalls which I'm not really in the mood to outline again. If Buffy had started off its universe with S6 quality dialogue and characterization it would not have stood the test of time.
But I will emphasize that I like the beginnings and endings of both Season 6 and 7, and some of the characters get to grow and improve in interesting ways.

spikenbuffy

"Look, it's blood, it's Summers blood. "
I chose 1 - 4, because of S3 & S2 but S1 & S4 aren't my favorites & S5 is my second favorite season after S3.

My favorites are S3, S5, S2 & S6.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I chose Seasons 1-4 because overall I think they're better than Seasons 5-7.

There is good stuff in the later seasons. I think Bargaining is probably the best season opener of the series, and Season 5 has some great episodes such as Fool for Love and The Body. However there are some big dynamics that occur in the later seasons that I don't particularly enjoy such as Spuffy, Kennedy, Buffy having a craptastic life of misery piled upon her, etc.

Seasons 1-4 were a little more upbeat. Buffy had her challenges eg Angelus but she overcame them, in the later seasons it seemed Buffy was being beaten down by life and it didn't get any better. In Season 1, the show was still finding its feet so some of the episodes aren't great however Season 2 was great, The scoobies were tight knit, Sprusilla, the Angelus arc, the episode School Hard; Season 2 is the season to use to get someone new interested in the show. In Season 3 the cracks start to show in the Scoobies friendship and their relationships but they deal with it and come back together for the battle against the mayor. Season 4 has its flaws but it's more coherent than Season 7.

Season 7 is probably the worst season, however it has the creepiest monster in Gnarl. STSP is probably Season 7's best episode.

genghiskhan

God doesn't want you
Black Thorn
1-4 for storyline, 5-7 for monster of the week/ filler episodes
There is a lot I love about each season, but season 2 (specifically the 'Ted' episode) was when I decided I really liked Buffy and had a good balance between the season 1 type episodes and the more sophisticated ones. season 1 is cheesy but fun, season 3 is pretty good, season 4 is a happy upbeat season. The latter ones get a bit darker and I generally feel bad for Buffy but they most definitely have their moments ( Fool for love, The Body, Family, Blood ties, The gift, bargaining, Once more with feeling, Tabula Rasa, selfless, Conversations with dead people, chosen). To be honest, I prefer out of high school for the setting because all the high school drama was just annoying and was kind of boring but the general quality was better and with a lot less plot holes. Each to their own though, I can definitely see why some people prefer the later seasons.
My ranking would be: 2,5,3,1,4,7,6

Last edited:

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I like the first 3 seasons since they were nicely written & the 3rd season finale was great .
Number 4 was nice except for the Initiative part.

And for the record i like Dawn & thought that was one of the better parts of 5-7.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
1-4, (although four isn't my favorite, there's nothing wrong with it, it's just not as good as three. Sort of how I liked my Senior Year of High School more than my Freshman Year of College. Actually...) over 5-7. But to be fair, 5-7 didn't get Joss's undivided attention, the actors were getting burned out, et alt. 5-7 was Urban Fantasy, and arguably had greater potential than Buffy's last three years of college, to be sure. Another interesting Comic idea, as opposed to "Let's have a Magic Council, because that's a real thing," Buffy & Will stay in college. So, really the problem is the series was two different series concepts, the first suffers from poor production values, the latter suffers from burnout. Pity.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
Definitely seasons 1-4, with season 3 being my absolute favorite.

The later seasons have grown on me though over the years, and do contain some of my very favorite episodes.
It just felt like the theme shifted to me. The earlier seasons had a darker touch to it compared to the later seasons. Plus, the earlier seasons didn't look much orangey in Buffy's house. I prefer the high school library and Giles's apartment over The Magic Box. I miss the factory, Angel(us)'s old mansion, and Angel's old apartment(whatever happened to that). Those places were better than Spike's old crypt. I prefer Bangel, Xandelia, Ginny, Woz, and Sprusilla over Briley, Spuffy, Xanya, Tillow, and Wennedy. Even though I have grown to like the Buffy/Dawn sisterhood, I still prefer it if they kept Buffy as an only child considering that's the way it was originally made. It's no fair that we didn't get to see Dawn/Angel/Joyce in the present time.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
For me it's the earlier seasons. A part of it is that I loved the school setting. I also prefer Oz and Cordelia to Tara and Anya. Although Anya in season 3 was great! After that she became too annoying and unreal as a character. I also think that there was just more of a need for the scoobies to all be together fighting the monsters than in the later seasons where it feels more disjointed. A part of that is that they were growing up and slowly trying to live their own separate lives while still being the scooby gang. I also think that UC Sunnydale was never fully developed like the high school was, and Riley was never as interested or fun as Spike and Angel. There are some great episodes in the latter seasons, but usually if I rewatch an ep of Buffy its from either 2, 3 or maybe even 4.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Can I just pick s2, s5 and s7? No? Well I pick the last half then.

There are a few shows that i rekon hit their stride later. Grimm, spn, teenwolf were all shows that got good around s4. The scene was set and the stories could start. I dont bore of good characters but I am bored to death of high school stories.

TriBel

Scooby
I'm with @Octavia - I prefer the later seasons. High school stories have no resonance for me. I thought high school (actually grammar school) was more like - well, school than hell. The individual stories are probably better structured in 1-3 but, IMO, conceptually, formally and philosophically the later seasons are much more adventurous. As Buffy tells us "life isn't a story".

Octavia
Octavia
And Spike says "life isn't bliss"
Top Bottom