• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Buffy The Vampire Slayer The Movie

Who was a better Buffy Summers

• Kristy Swanson

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Sarah Michelle Gellar

Votes: 22 91.7%

• Total voters

smgismyqueenjpg

BuffyPhile
Black Thorn
90793-large-451549.jpg

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
SMG but she had a seven season show. To be fair, I do line Kristy Swanson as Buffy in the movie, it's just the movie isn't great.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Watcher
Black Thorn
I like them both, but because SMG is going to win I gave Kristy my vote for this reason:
I like Kristy Swanson's version. Just because she made Buffy who she is. A Valley Girl who is a badass. so i like the og buffy.

With only one 90minute movie she really presented what I think was the original vision for who Buffy was supposed to be. She's terrific in the role, even when the script is so-so. She's also very athletic which brings something to the role.

Hunga Munga

Scooby
Interesting enough read , but several points were totally untrue .

For TV scholars, Buffy was the birth of what we now call 'quality television', in terms of shows that hit certain characteristics and that we can discuss as a quality text," Buffy Studies scholar Lorna Jowett tells me. "We learned how to talk about television as an art form from this show. We're still talking about whether it's feminist many years later."

Just no . Back then ,Buffy was the latest in a long line of US shows that sought to be more than just bland mass entertainment . Hill Street Blues , Moonlighting , 3osomething , Northern Exposure , The Simpsons ...and so on and so on . All these shows , at the best , are quality texts . American broadcasters had sought the well heeled educated ( attractive to advertisers) market and started to take creative risks while Joss Whedon was a youth . Naturally he watched it all :D .

Likewize the study of television and mass culture was already a mature academic discipline before Joss finished college ....no doubt he studied that too :D Feminist perspectives were well entrenched in the field . By 1997 there was already a long established Cultural Studies , Popular Culture , Media Studies etc presence in US , UK and Australian Universities . We knew how to talk about television as an artform :)

Oh crap , wrong thread :(

Last edited:

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
I just picked both, because I think the actresses deserve equal praise. I mean it is unfair to choose between one actress with one more or one with 7 seasons of 20 episodes each. I am one of the few who actually enjoys the movie and Kristy Swanson's acting as well.

Plenty of love to go around :)

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Watcher
Black Thorn
For general acting chops and making the character iconic - Sarah.
For making it all happen in the first place - Kristy.

I seriously don't think Kristy gets enough credit. Without her portrayal of Buffy, none of us would be talking about the show 20 years later.

Oh and.... ahem..... Ep2: Our Secret Weapon is PMS #shamelesspodcastplug ;)

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
The movie has some problems. Kristy Swanson is not one of them though.

I voted for both. I think if Kristy had done the show it had worked just as great.

/SK

R

randiann

I definitely think both. I was a fan of the movie early on, and still love Kristy Swanson in it. She owned that role.

Whirlwind

Faith's Boy Toy
Sarah. But I thought Kristy Swanson was great in the movie and deserves some credit for making the character viable for a TV series.

white avenger

white avenger
This is both a loaded question, and an attempt to compare apples and oranges. Loaded, because Sarah had 7 years to establish a beloved character and an entire universe in which to operate, whereas Kristy had only 90 minutes in a less than first rate movie, somewhat indifferently directed, and based on a poor interpretation of the original script. Given what she had to work with, Kristy did an excellent job.

Reverse the two roles, put Sarah in the movie as shot, and Kristy in the series as produced, and I have no doubt that Sarah would draw the short straw.

Bloody William

Potential
As everyone has said you can't compare the two. I loved the movie mainly because of Kristy, she did a brilliant job. The training session was very 'Rocky-esque' and the 'you threw a knife...at my head' scene is one of my favourites ever!

Top Bottom