• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy, Willow & power

SunnydaleGlitz

Potential
Sineya
Buffy in S7 says "I am the Law."
Willow in S6 says "I am the Magic."

I'm interested in comparing their power, ideologically. Buffy's name was chosen deliberately to subvert the trope of the blonde victim/ valley girl. Willow's name is closely connected to nature, as are often the names of her romantic partners (barring Kennedy). On the show, Tara = the Earth, in the comics, Lake.

Taake
Taake
Interesting topic!
FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
What about Oz? Is he nature?

thrasherpix

Scooby
From the ep Consequences:

Faith: (approaches Buffy) But that's not it. That's not what bothers
you so much. What bugs you is you know I'm right. You know in your gut
we don't need the law. We *are* the law.

Buffy: No.

She turns her back and walks away. Faith follows right behind.

Faith: Yes. You know exactly what I'm about 'cause you have it in you,
too.

Buffy: No, Faith, you're sick.

Faith: I've seen it, B. You've got the lust. And I'm not just talking
about screwing vampires.

Buffy stops in her tracks.

Buffy: Don't you *dare* bring him into this.

Faith: (taunting her) It was good, wasn't it? The sex? The danger? Bet
a part of you even dug him when he went psycho.

Buffy: No! (continues walking)

Faith: (follows) See, you need me to toe the line because you're afraid
you'll go over it, aren't you, B? You can't handle watching me living my
own way, having a blast, because it tempts you! You know it could be
you!

Buffy has had enough. She stops, faces her and backhand punches her in
the jaw. Faith comes up smiling wickedly.

Faith: There's my girl.
Perhaps I should put this in the foreshadowing thread, since it foreshadows Buffy in seasons 6 and 7 (ironically when Faith no longer has that philosophy herself, though Buffy beats up on her even more).

WillowFromBuffy

Buffering...
I've copied the following straight from my thesis:

Wallace argues that we must all give ourselves over to some form of worship, because “In the day to day trenches of adult life, there is actually no such thing as atheism. There is not such thing as not worshipping” (This is Water 98-99). He further argues that one should either choose to worship a deity or “some infrangible set of ethical principles,” because “pretty much anything else you worship will eat you alive” (102).

The quotes are from a speech David Foster Wallace gave to a graduating class at Kenyon College. In the speech, he list things that are dangerous to obsess about, such as money, your own beauty and your own intelligence. He argues that you should not worship these things, because they will eventually take over your life.

Buffy and Willow are extremely powerful women. Buffy is the most successful slayer of all time and Willow is the most powerful witch in the western hemisphere. However, they struggle with regular life-stuff. The worse their lives are going, the closer do they identify with their super power. Buffy says, "Angel, if I am the slayer, then who am I?" Willow says, "If you could be Super Willow or regular old Willow, then who would you be?" They cling to the thing that make them feel in control and validates their worth, and they distance themselves from all that leads to failure, shame and a sense of worthlessness.

I really wish the final BtVS season had been happier and that we could have seen the Scoobies move on to happier lives. The awakening of the potentials suggests there won't be as much fighting in the future and S5 of AtS gives the impression that the Scoobies are livin' large. However, I would like to see this on screen. As a coming-of-age-story, it feels a little unfinished, as the Scoobies are mostly struggling with the same issues when the show ends as they always were. The destruction of Sunnydale suggests a wiped slate, but the story does not progress on from that.

Edit: My square brackets interfered with the BB code :p

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
They cling to the thing that make them feel in control and validates their worth, and they distance themselves from all that leads to failure, shame and a sense of worthlessness.
Isn't that true of most people? Nobody want to feel bad about themselves. The difference is that for some people it becomes unhealthy because the can't function without the thing, they become dependent on it. For Willow it's magic, and in some ways it's the scoobies fault because they rely on Willow to use magic a lot more than her computer skills. Season 6 is a case in point. Willow's reached a point where everyone is concerned about her using magic, she tries to give it up, yet when the going gets tough the scoobies want her to use magic again. Tara has to step in and tell them all to back off. The problem with making magic a drug in Season 6 is that it retroactively makes Tara look bad because she was the one encouraging Willow with magic in Season 4. Willow equates her usefulness within the scooby group to being able to do magic. It's why Xander's "your extraordinary" speech to Dawn is so significant. Dawn is feeling useless because she's not a potential (she dodged a bullet there) but Xander is reassuring her that she is useful. She might not have super powers but she is helping anyway, she's researching and putting in the effort to aid the cause.

Buffy is a slightly different kettle of fish in that she can't walk away from being a slayer. The fate of the world is in her hands almost constantly. The majority of the time she doesn't let it go to her head, but in Season 7 the potentials were playing up and just being generally ungrateful towards her (some more than others) despite the fact that she is the one standing between them and a violent death. Everyone expected too much from Buffy in Season 7, she did her best, but hwen you have people like Kennedy and Rona constantly arguing and whining, it's easy to see why Buffy got fed up. She didn't ask for them to be dumped on her and yet it would be her fault if they got killed.

I think the question should be: Are the scoobies expecting too much from individual members to the point that it negatively impacts the individual themselves?

WillowFromBuffy

Buffering...
Tara look bad because she was the one encouraging Willow with magic in Season 4.
I don't think so. Willow was largely self-motivated. Buffy and Oz expressed concern about Willow's magic use in S4, but Willow want listen to it. Tara may encourage Willow's magic use, but she does not push Willow. Willow even feels the need to reassure Tara that she does not use her simply for her magic.

In S5, Tara starts to get worried that Willow may be taking it too far, but Tara could not have predicted that she would be mind sucked and that Willow would consume a whole bunch of evil magik to try to save her.

It's like, if you're smoking weed with your girlfriend, you're not responsible if she suddenly starts smoking crack, especially if you've already warned her that she's smoking too much weed.
Buffy is a slightly different kettle of fish in that she can't walk away from being a slayer. The fate of the world is in her hands almost constantly.
Willow can't walk away either. She's held the fate of the world in her hands several times. By S2, she has reached a level of power where her action or inaction can have dire consequences.

Top Bottom