1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy's character flaws?

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by Geobubbles, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Geobubbles

Geobubbles Can I play with the puppy?

Black Thorn
    Alright so me and my friend at work are trying to get our friend to watch Buffy. He watched the first 3 episodes (enjoyed the first two but hated The Witch) which is fair but that has made him stop watching as he didn't like how predictable it was. I don't know how we got to it but we started talking about character flaws and how it seems to him that the characters are too "perfect". I named many of the flaws that Willow, Xander and Angel have but when it came to Buffy I was a bit stumped as a lot of the more prominent flaws and problems come later in the series rather than just the beginning. Can anyone think up some of Buffy's from the earlier seasons? The only thing I could think of is her fear of abandonment.

2. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I found Buffy to be disrespectful towards Giles in a lot of incidents, one that comes to mind was in Bad Eggs when she didn't find him in the library and she went, "Now he decides to get a life!"

Buffy is also mean to Cordelia - but I find it mostly a reaction to being bullied by Cordelia.

Buffy tends to take her mom and friends for granted sometimes.

Buffy also likes being the one and only - despite complaining about being the one and only a lot - her reaction to meeting Kendra and Faith shows how she doesn't like to 'share the glory.'

3. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Buffy's fairly ditzy and self-absorbed right from the off as I remember.
    She can be petty and bitchy and doesn't treat Giles well sometimes.
    I remember Xander commenting that Buffy was too quick to resort to violence/intimidation methods, but that was probably a joke.
    She can be prone to her martyrdom complex and self-pity, but this seems to be more prevalent in later seasons.

4. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

Maybe you should show him episode 1 of season 2. Wait, that's too much of a spoiler. Episode 1 of season 3 would be better. Wait...well, if he's not going to watch it otherwise anyway...

Never Kill a Boy on the First Date has her being underhanded and all. But if he's a teen then he might think that's a mark in her favor. :p

Geobubbles likes this.
  5. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    I don't know if you meant to tell them her flaws only in the season 1 but in the rest of the show she gets kind of a hypocrite, especially in season 7.

Faith once basically said that being the slayer does make you better than other people and Buffy criticizes her for the way she acts as a slayer, and later on season 7 Buffy acts better than everyone else.

Smile Time and thetopher like this.
  6. Erelion

Erelion Townie

Doesn't she start off not taking her duties seriously & wanting to run away from them all?

7. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

ok so I'm not saying that Buffy isn't ever an hypocrite (I do think she is at times) but I really have an issue with this kind of reasoning. I'll be more specific : thinking/doing something when you're younger and then acting against it later on in your life doesn't make you an hypocrite. It makes you someone who changed their mind. I have the same problem with people calling Buffy an hypocrite for telling Dawn that «no guy is worth your life, ever». Ok so basically because once when she was younger, in a moment of insanity, she put the life of her lover before her own she's not allowed to voice out loud or tell someone that they shouldn't do it? That's not being hypocritical, that's simply making mistakes and learning from them.

I think Buffy simply changed her mind on what being a slayer is/meant after going through so much and having to make so many though decisions and having been close to so many killers/baddies. I'm not excusing her for thinking that she's superior, but it makes sense when you look at her overall growth.

8. Geobubbles

Black Thorn
    Sorry I think you're definitely spot on here, I'm just having trouble thinking of when she put her lover over her own life? If anything sacrificing Angel to save her life and everyone else's makes what she said to Dawn not hypocritical at all. I think I might be forgetting something haha

9. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

Making him drink her blood in Graduation Day Part 2 to save his life.

Geobubbles likes this.
  10. Geobubbles

Black Thorn
    Aha thank you! It was killing me not remembering haha. But yes definitely agree with you, people make mistakes and then they learn from them. Its not being hypocritical its being wise :)

Ayko likes this.
  11. Buffy Lover

Buffy Lover Townie

Try to get him to watch Teacher's Pet (season 1 episode 4)... that one is kind of unpredictable because it surprised me that it was a huge bug.

12. WillowSummers88

WillowSummers88 Townie

Well, she can be kind of a hypocrite. I mean here she is... the vampire slayer! But if you're a vampire who just happens to be.. banging her. She'll not stake you with Mr. Pointy.

Anyanka Bunny Killer likes this.
  13. Geobubbles

Black Thorn
    I'm trying to get him to at least finish season 2. If he doesn't like it after passion, innocence and becoming then there is no hope for him haha

Mylie and Buffy Lover like this.
  14. Geobubbles

Black Thorn
    Thanks for this guys! I have written a list of everything put here and sent it to him so hopefully he changes his mind on how "perfect" buffy characters are and at least watches season 2.

15. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    I also have that problem when trying to describe Buffy as a character. She's definetelly not the best character in the show IMO but i always seem to get stuck when trying to find her flaws. She can be such a complex character.

I can see your point here. She grew up and i think it happened when she came back from the dead. That really changed her in a point that made her realize that being always the righteous gal is pointless.

I like the way you think and the fact that i didn't really thought in that way makes me see it from a whole new perspective.

Mylie likes this.
  16. BuffyBot22

BuffyBot22 Potential

I think the reason Buffy may come across as a character who has no flaws, is because a lot of the "bad" things she does is at the most justifiable and at the very least understandable. I find her to be one of the most relatable characters on TV. Even when she is being a total bitch like s2 ep 1- you find out later why and then you end up feeling bad for her instead of angry with her behavior. She has a lot of layers, but underneath all of those layers she is a good person who truly cares about her friends, family, and the world.

17. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

It's protagonist privilege. The story is told from her POV. The narrative sides with her POV. She dominates the screen time and her issues take center stage. If the show was told from someone else's POV, it would have been different. Take The Zeppo for example - bestest episode ever IMO - and notice how the narrative changes to make Xander the center of attention and we get to see the world from his eyes. I wish more episodes were done like The Zeppo with other characters.

18. BuffyBot22

BuffyBot22 Potential

I just don't think this always stands true. There are other shows with the protagonist telling his/her story but are still unlikable. For example, I absolutely loathe Ted on How I Met Your Mother. I think he is a whiny brat and I very rarely felt any sort of empathy or even sympathy for him.

And even in this show, most of the time I empathize with Willow and Angel without the story being told from her POV.

sosa lola likes this.
  19. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Buffy's main flaw in season 1 is the fact that she tries to shirk her responsibility - "Why can't you people just leave me alone?"
    Buffy's main flaw in season 2 is the fact that she allows her relationship with Angel to consume her and destroy her sense of self - "Angel, when I look into the future, all I see is you. All I want is you".
    Buffy's main flaw in season 3 is... Um... Stuff? Things? According to Faith, her flaw is that she secretly wants to kill people, but I never bought that.

And the later seasons are wonderfully EXPLODING with character flaws.

Zenseem likes this.
  20. Buffy Lover

Buffy Lover Townie

Oh and a flaw the show can have is the outfits

Geobubbles: I can't flaw that, the 90s was a very odd time hahaha. Its the same with Charmed and Friends :')