1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy's Make-up Season 6

Discussion in 'Season 6' started by dcai0830, Aug 2, 2017.

1. dcai0830

dcai0830 You spent three weeks moaning in a basement!

Black Thorn
    Has anyone else noticed the weirdness going on with Buffy's make up in Season 6? I feel like it almost started in late Season 5.

I noticed towards the end of Season 5 her make up looked cakey and very thick. Then in Season 6, the way that they did her make-up was very different. She was much paler, almost washed out, she had entirely too much blush, again you could see the caked on make up and bright lip colors which contrasted with her now pale skin tone. It almost reminded me of stage make up. She went from slightly warmer tones to bright cool tones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wonder if anyone else noticed the changes in make up or maybe someone has some behind the scenes knowledge regarding the not so subtle make over.

2. bhala

bhala Townie

there is no show like this one in entire world. ( lovely )

3. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Yes, I've noticed. I honestly just think it's because Sarah was rather tired and worn out at this time, she probably needed like a one year nap or something, I mean she'd been working this show, at tough hours, being in almost every scene, for quite some time. So they caked up the make up to make her look more healthy and well-rested.. as if she didn't have to stay up all night, slaying vamps ;)

Puppet likes this.
  4. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    The 2nd photo isn't showing up for me. :( I know what you mean with season 6 though. I wonder if it's got anything to do with the fact they'd changed networks, even though it was the same production company. The lighting looked different too which would emphasise her makeup change. I don't know. Every season of Buffy looked different because of either new locations, better cameras, or a change in DP. I notice it a lot.

GwenRaiden and Athena like this.
  5. Hunga Munga

Hunga Munga Potential

Didn't SMG have her own make up artist for many years ? I think I remember her referencing it in a Reddit interview ?

6. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I'd put it down to the advances in technology meaning that the lighting/cameras were better and therefore it looks so caked on, but in reality it hadn't changed all that much....

Of course, it probably is a little bit of all of the above. SMG was working flat out on the show, so she probably did look very tired, so they tried to help it by adding extra makeup. I wish I had that in real life to be honest.... ;)

7. dcai0830

Black Thorn
    If she was really that tired they should have put on some self tanner to give her a healthy glow instead of washing her out. ;)

8. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    Maybe as Tara said, Buffy didn't come back wrong, her cells just got a little tanned from being brought back, so they had to pile on the makeup to make her look normal. Coming back from the dead does that to you.

Puppet and dcai0830 like this.
  9. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Found this on Buffy Wikia:

You can see the differences over the course of the series.

Season 1

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Season 2

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Season 3

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Season 4

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Season 5
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Season 6

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Season 7

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. TriBel

TriBel Scooby

Hmm...isn't she meant to be tired and depressed - so the make-up is designed to make her look depressed? They do a similar thing with Marsters in S7 - he's made up/lit to flatten his check-bones and the only time he has ruffled hair is when he's with Faith. The shot in DMP - Spike complains about the lighting making him look dead - could have the same effect on her.

11. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    I had noticed the difference, they do give her more blush on the cheeks. I don't really like it. But if we're looking for a character reason, it could be that Buffy was using makeup like putting on a mask. To help cover up her depression of that season. Trying to appear lighter and healthier rather than the dark depression she was going through.

12. dcai0830

Black Thorn
    I think Buffy's make up and wardrobe was most on point in Season 4. Her hair looked awesome that season too.

13. TriBel

TriBel Scooby

Towards the end of 7 when she looks at Spike she has "natural" glossy, shiny lips and wide open sparkling eyes. I don't think that's by accident. She also has very well kept nails with pale gold polish.

14. dcai0830

Black Thorn
    I actually think that Season 7 they went back to the make up that fits Buffy. It was late Season 5 and Season 6 where the make up was odd. Very cool colors, very bright blush, cakey, etc.

--- Double Post Merged, Aug 4, 2017 ---
    I like the head cannon that she was hiding behind her make up! I'll go with it.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  15. TriBel

TriBel Scooby

Make-up, hair and clothes etc. are part of the mise-en-scene. Barring weight gain by the actor, there's not much they can't control with make-up, light and filters. Marsters is the most obvious, they use key lights (I think) to make him look "foxy". He suffered in A5 because of the strong florescent type light. 5/6 - I imagine it was odd because she was odd! I like the lighting in the graveyard in 7 (Potentials). It does them both favours - it's mostly key lights and side lit. His hair is almost white and his skin is like marble. And she has those golden nails - wish I could figure out why! I think she looks good in 7 - interesting they've taken her back to the beginning.

16. margybee

margybee Townie

The season 7 promo shot of Buffy is so odd to me. She looks so tired and unhappy, and the makeup almost makes her look bruised or something. It's very pink and blotchy. Here's what I'm referencing:

(I hope I'm allowed to link this)

[​IMG]

The image is photoshopped elsewhere to make her look less dulled.

And there's the fact that SMG lost a lot of weight over the seasons and by season 7 had become very thin. She's usually wearing long sleeves, probably to cover her thin arms, and see in the picture above -- her arms are pushed back so you can't see them. Not shaming in any way, just observing, and of course she's very beautiful no matter her size, just saying that the weight loss probably played a part in everything.

Anyway, I agree with the makeup -- she looks much more natural, and hence much younger, in the earlier seasons. I like the idea that Buffy was hiding behind her makeup in season 6, trying to put on a mask and cover up her depression.

dcai0830 likes this.