• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

California Earthquakes

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra ๐Ÿ’€
Black Thorn
Most of you already know about the 7.1 that slammed us here last night. Strangely, after the smaller July 4th temblor, I DM'd Chris Schauble (a KTLA anchor) and we discussed the possibility that it had been a foreshock. He said he hoped he'd be on air when the next one hit. He wasn't. ๐Ÿ˜…

There's the distinct possibility that last night was also a foreshock. Those of you in California should know the drill by now. It's been a long time since we've gotten a shake like that, but now is the time for everyone to prepare for the next one.

So, get off your butt and get to the market! Don't wait until the power is out and your gas line is ruptured. Remember, if a bigger quake hits, law enforcement and the fire department will be occupied. Anticipate that you and your family might be on your own for approximately three days. Be safe!

1. Adequate supplies of medications that you or family members are taking
  2. Fire extinguisher
  3. Crescent and pipe wrenches to turn off gas and water supplies
  4. First-aid kit and handbook
  5. Flashlights with extra bulbs and batteries
  6. Portable radio with extra batteries
  7. Water for each family member for at least two weeks (allow at least 1 gallon per person per day) and purification tablets or chlorine bleach to purify drinking water from other sources
  8. Canned and packaged foods, enough for several days and mechanical can opener. Extra food for pets if necessary
  9. Toilet paper
  10. Camp stove or barbecue to cook on outdoors (store fuel out of the reach of children).
  11. Waterproof, heavy-duty plastic bags for waste disposal.
Don't run outside. Fallen powerlines and other debris pose a hazard. Don't use candles if the power goes out. Gas lines might be ruptured, and you don't want to become a tiki torch. Keep at least $200 in cash on you. If the power's out, obviously the ATM's (and your online banking) will be unavailable. However, your dealer takes cash, so all is not lost. ๐Ÿ˜›

I was watching Juan and Sara last night, right at the moment California began shaking. Poor Sara!! She recently had a baby, and was so terrified, that Sharon Tay had to take over.

And of course, Meghan and Chris from a few years ago. That quake wasn't very big, but the overhead lights in the studio began swinging; and they dived under the desk. I was watching them. ๐Ÿ˜…

Last edited:

white avenger

white avenger
Good luck to all of the people out there on the west coast. I was stationed in San Diego at NTC back in '69 when we had a very slight tremor, but that is obviously nothing compared to something of this nature. We joke about California someday slipping into the sea, but this is obviously no joking matter to the residents. And I totally agree, BE PREPARED, as much as is possible, for something like this. Our society is no longer able to live off the land, especially in a large city, so if you don't have sufficient supplied put back, if you are dependent on daily trips to the grocery and drug stores, you're gonna be hurting very soon.

telperion66

Potential
According to Christian belief, we are truly living in the last days.

God may be saying the end is seriously nigh...

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra ๐Ÿ’€
Black Thorn

We are. So live life to the fullest. There's NOTHING like having your house violently shaking to wake you up. Because that's one thing you can't run from...

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I hope no one from these boards was negatively affected by the earthquakes.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra ๐Ÿ’€
Black Thorn
I already made a thread about this. :p

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Sorry Anyanka Bunny Slayer I didn't see that, it could have been because the power was cut for a day or two then. Apparently the epi-centre of the 7.1 quake was near to Death Valley. Where will the next ones be?
I hope you don't get what happened to New Zealand following the earthquake in Christchurch, they've had about 1,000 aftershocks.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I've had a few earthquakes affect the house I was in, and if/ when it does start to shake violently I have always gone outside.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
Sorry Anyanka Bunny Slayer I didn't see that, it could have been because the power was cut for a day or two then. Apparently the epi-centre of the 7.1 quake was near to Death Valley. Where will the next ones be?
I hope you don't get what happened to New Zealand following the earthquake in Christchurch, they've had about 1,000 aftershocks.
They've recorded 3,000 so far, but the sequence is declining so best guesses are that we won't get many more big ones....for now.

I don't know of anyone on the boards closer than myself and ABS, but we've both been feeling them. The shaking isn't horrible for us but they have been long and steady. Power was knocked out a few places in LA but nothing widespread.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Most of the earthquakes near Christchurch have been so small they are hardly worth mentioning. Also many places around the world experience a high number of earthquakes each day but many are so deep, horizontal not vertical and not worth talking about.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange ๐Ÿถ

that's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds, and snakes, and aeroplanes, and Lenny Bruce is not afraid...

Top Bottom