• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Cameo appearances in a reboot?

Hi, how would you guys feel about cameo appearances from the original cast in a reboot if it happens? If so would you like to see them as the same characters or a different role?

I think it would be nice to see some cameos if the reboot happens. Even though SMG has said she isn't interested in appearing in it I think it would be fun if she did.

Priceless

Scooby
I'd love to see some of the original cast in the reboot. Buffy, Willow, Xander, Dawn and Giles could all make an appearance quite easily. I wouldn't mind some of the old cast playing new characters in the reboot. Emma Caulfield and James Marsters as Watchers maybe? Alexis Denisof as a big bad? Anything is possible in a reboot.

Kitty12

Adrianxx
If they recast the characters with the same names though having cameos from the original cast would be difficult unless they would be playing new characters. You couldn't have two Buffy's, Willows etc. That would be kinda weird! lol

Priceless

Scooby
If they recast the characters with the same names though having cameos from the original cast would be difficult unless they would be playing new characters. You couldn't have two Buffy's, Willows etc. That would be kinda weird! lol
The old cast would play totally new characters, which I'd prefer to them making cameos. Although I'd be happy with either.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
The old cast would play totally new characters
Didnt work out that well for that Ghostbusters movie. Fans saw the original actors involved and got all excited only to find out they were playing completely different characters. Do you think fans would be happy with seeing SMG in a Buffy tv show/movie playing just a random character? I think there'd be a ton of backlash, honestly, and all it would serve would be to compare and contrast the new vs the old, which is unfair to the new.

Kitty12

Adrianxx
The old cast would play totally new characters, which I'd prefer to them making cameos. Although I'd be happy with either.

Now here's a question. If you recast them as new characters what sort of characters would they be. On the side of good or the bad?

Priceless

Scooby
Didnt work out that well for that Ghostbusters movie. Fans saw the original actors involved and got all excited only to find out they were playing completely different characters. Do you think fans would be happy with seeing SMG in a Buffy tv show/movie playing just a random character? I think there'd be a ton of backlash, honestly, and all it would serve would be to compare and contrast the new vs the old, which is unfair to the new.
I don't think SMG would be involved in any capacity, but some of the other actors might. I'm a fan and I like the idea of JM being a watcher or Charisma Carpenter being a parent etc. 'Fans' are a mixed bunch in the Buffyverse and we don't think with one unified mind.

Priceless

Scooby
Now here's a question. If you recast them as new characters what sort of characters would they be. On the side of good or the bad?
I'd love to see Alexis Denisof as a big bad, I think he'd be great. Can you imagine Charisma Carpenter as a mom? Could she even play a 'Joyce-like' role?

Kitty12

Adrianxx
Just had a interesting thought if SMG was involved I would love to see her as a big bad, maybe a vampire (a role reversal from being the slayer).

TriBel

Scooby
I would love to see her as a big bad, maybe a vampire (a role reversal from being the slayer).
But why...to what end? I'm with @Sparky on this...it's too big a distraction - it kinda breaks the 4th wall by drawing attention to the actress and the role. Rather than being a character in a fictional world she'd be "SMG, who used to play Buffy the Vampire Slayer, playing a vampire in a new BtVS". If it's an alternative or parallel universe then the illusion of it being real is maintained. TBH, I thought S12 could easily be read as taking place in an alternative universe.

Kitty12

Adrianxx
But why...to what end? I'm with @Sparky on this...it's too big a distraction - it kinda breaks the 4th wall by drawing attention to the actress and the role. Rather than being a character in a fictional world she'd be "SMG, who used to play Buffy the Vampire Slayer, playing a vampire in a new BtVS". If it's an alternative or parallel universe then the illusion of it being real is maintained. TBH, I thought S12 could easily be read as taking place in an alternative universe.

Just an fun idea although I do agree with you it would be too big a distraction and breaking the 4th wall.

I've always regarded the comics as taking place in an alternate universe. I only count the TV series as canon.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Can you imagine Charisma Carpenter as a mom? Could she even play a 'Joyce-like' role?

No. CC can't do "mumsy". She's played step-mother to AH's character on Veronica Mars, but the characters she plays are always kind of cheap and trashy, not wholesome and mother like at all. You want a character that the audience will feel affection for and respond to (like Uncle Phil in Fresh Prince of Bel Air- Will Smith even said that everyone needs an Uncle Phil), I just can't see CC getting that kind of reaction from the audience.

Last edited:

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Given what they can do with wigs and make-up Sarah Michelle Gellar could easily portray Joyce and effectivley so,
plus she had a tester when the school principal (Wood) lied through his teeth referring to Buffy as Dawn's mother.

WillowsFaith

Potential
I feel like the reboot got axed or won’t ever get fully picked up. But if we did get a proper reboot, I doubt anyone would cameo except James/Spike or Nicholas/Xander. They seem the most in touch with the fandom still. I could definitely see Xander have a mentor type role. As for ladies, I doubt Sarah or Alyson would have time or much care to even show up for a moment unfortunately. But maybe Dawn could show a new young slayer somethings she learn from Buffy in the aftermath of season 7. Maybe?! But anything is possible

Reactions: Ann

Stake fodder

Soulless
I think you could have one or two as new characters. In the new Battlestar Galactica, Richard Hatch, who played Apollo in the original, played a new recurring character. I think it worked because Tom Zarek was so different from Apollo that one didn't make comparisons.

If the reboot has mostly new characters, then obviously the previous ones could return as themselves. But I agree with @WillowsFaith that most wouldn't be interested.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I think Xander is the old, stuffy Watcher with secret past could be fun, and not too much of a stretch (I'm ignoring the comics).

Other than that, maybe Willow as a half-crazed with for an ep. And using modern animation that looks real, maybe flashbacks or spirits of other cast members.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
They'd be better off doing an animated series voiced by the original cast.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
Just an fun idea although I do agree with you it would be too big a distraction and breaking the 4th wall.

I've always regarded the comics as taking place in an alternate universe. I only count the TV series as canon.
Same here . There was so much more in the TV series as compared to the comics.

Top Bottom