• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Cangel This Season

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Groo is a throwback to a mediaeval (or earlier) period and Cordelia would soon find that he did not belong in the Gucci world, nor would he understand it.

My impression of Cangel is that some writers promoted it and others thought it didn't make sense so you have this patchwork of scripts which either featured "Cangel forever" or "Cangel, what's that?" They couldn't make me believe in it if they didn't believe it themselves. I was not a fan of her running off with Groo when Angel was trying to explain his love for her. All ships sink in the Whedonverse, so I had little hope for anything coming from it.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
All ships sink in the Whedonverse, so I had little hope for anything coming from it.

Haha! That is a wonderful way to put it.

I am glad nothing came of it and You're Welcome leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't hate Cordy or Angel, I just don't like them snogging together. Cordy could have done better. Groo is all cute and better. He'd be happy in a construction/strength related job and she'd be secure in standing. Hey.. sounds a bit like Anya and Xander come to think of it.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
Humm..... maybe you're right, not sure.. I just think that Groo is too much a "simple" guy for her and not that much good looking. But I have the same opinion on Doyle and a lot of people like the idea of Cordelia and Doyle together. Was never a fan. I much prefer Cangel, by far. But of course they handled it poorly, but I'm certain that with a better execution a lot of people would love them.
I still wouldn't love them considering it invalidates the reason why he left Buffy behind in Sunnydale.

Antho

Scooby
Groo is a pure and sweet cinnamon roll of a man who just wanted love and to be loved.
Just like Riley.
The simple fact that someone can love Groo and hate Riley at the same time is something I will never understand. On the "bland" level, Groo surpasses him and yet Riley is much more criticized on it.

I still wouldn't love them considering it invalidates the reason why he left Buffy behind in Sunnydale.
That's a valid point. That's fair. I know I'm not logical on that subject but for me just because Bangel break up for a reason doesn't mean that Angel doesn't have the right to build a new life with new people. Buffy did it, so why not Angel ? People grow up, they changes their mind over the years so I can buy that Angel wants to move on with someone else even he left Buffy because he wanted to offer a better human life to her and was probably afraid to loose his soul. I don't know if the guy realizes that he has the right to be happy and chooses to move on in his life, I say go on !

Hey.. sounds a bit like Anya and Xander come to think of it.
That's the reason of why I dislike Cordelia/Groo and I'm not interested in Doyle/Cordelia. Too much like Anya and Xander and they already were too much like Xander/Cordelia. Already done !

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
Just like Riley.
The simple fact that someone can love Groo and hate Riley at the same time is something I will never understand. On the "bland" level, Groo surpasses him and yet Riley is much more criticized on it.

That's a valid point. That's fair. I know I'm not logical on that subject but for me just because Bangel break up for a reason doesn't mean that Angel doesn't have the right to build a new life with new people. Buffy did it, so why not Angel ? People grow up, they changes their mind over the years so I can buy that Angel wants to move on with someone else even he left Buffy because he wanted to offer a better human life to her and was probably afraid to loose his soul. I don't know if the guy realizes that he has the right to be happy and chooses to move on in his life, I say go on !

That's the reason of why I dislike Cordelia/Groo and I'm not interested in Doyle/Cordelia. Too much like Anya and Xander and they already were too much like Xander/Cordelia. Already done !
Angel CAN'T be in a relationship though, so he can't move onto a girl who wasn't all that respectful to the love of his life.

Antho
Antho
That’s your opinion

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
Just like Riley.
I dislike Riley and love Groo. And your reasoning doesn’t make sense in my case because blandness has nothing to do with my feelings about the characters. I dislike Riley because of his behavior. Can you point to a time that Groo treated Cordelia (or anyone) like Riley treated Buffy in Doomed or The Yoko Factor or Buffy vs. Dracula or Into the Woods? When Groo saw that Cordelia cared about Angel, he gracefully bowed out. I can’t remember him accusing Cordelia of cheating with no grounds or going to vamp suckhouses to deal with his insecurities.

Antho

Scooby
I dislike Riley and love Groo. And your reasoning doesn’t make sense in my case because blandness has nothing to do with my feelings about the characters. I dislike Riley because of his behavior. Can you point to a time that Groo treated Cordelia (or anyone) like Riley treated Buffy in Doomed or The Yoko Factor or Buffy vs. Dracula or Into the Woods? When Groo saw that Cordelia cared about Angel, he gracefully bowed out. I can’t remember him accusing Cordelia of cheating with no grounds or going to vamp suckhouses to deal with his insecurities.
Okay but still a lot of people just dislike Riley because he is bland, just like a lot of people hate Angel because he is boring in their eyes. You have your reasons, I totally disagree with them but fine... my point was that those people who find Riley or Angel boring should not be interested in Groo for I think the same reasons so..... you obviously aren’t one of this person so my comment doesn’t concern you.

Grace
Grace
Sorry. In your comment, you made it sound like blandness was the only reason someone could dislike Riley. So I was responding to that.

spikenbuffy

"Look, it's blood, it's Summers blood. "
It's one of the reasons I dislike this season the most; forced character soap-y drama romance. I never really bought the sudden 'they're attracted to each other because Fred/Lorne say so'.
Urgh.
There's some moments between C&A before Fred saying to Angel that they are attracted to each other, in S2 in the last episode of the Pylea arc like when Angel seems a little jealous or wants Cordy's attention when Cordy says I love you to Groo in 2X22 ATS. Angel seems at that moment sad and disgusted that she didn't said it to him. And that it's before S3.

Antho
Antho
And some moments in season 1 like that one at the end of the season 1 at the hospital

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
There's some moments between C&A before Fred saying to Angel that they are attracted to each other, in S2 in the last episode of the Pylea arc like when Angel seems a little jealous or wants Cordy's attention when Cordy says I love you to Groo in 2X22 ATS.
Oh, I think there was attraction there, there always has been from Cordelia's side of things since S1 and Angel - by S2- was quite taken with Cordy's bikini outfit in 'Belonging' (as he describes it to Wes and Gunn).
But romance is something very different, and in S3 it felt rushed, the execution forced unnaturally by the two outsiders of the group who understood the Angel/Cordy relationship/dynamic the least.

Now if you had somebody who could see the shift in dynamic from way back when, somebody who was formerly close to Cordlei and could needle Angel a bit on a personal level- someone like Xander- then that could've kick-started something more organically/believably.

Just my opinion, I have no favored ship in this particular boat-race.

Antho

Scooby
How can I have an opinion when it is obviously a fact?
But what is that obvious fact ? That he can’t be in any relationship. So why he was with Buffy in the first time and why he is with Nina at the end of ATS ? And why he can’t be in any relationship ? Because he could loose his soul. Do you réalise how rare « perfect happiness » it is and do you think that you experience that with anyone you have feeling for ? Plus « perfect hapiness » at that time he was with Buffy was something more easy to achieve because he was deeply in love with her and she was his world, everything he was living for. She meant everything for him. Now he has friends, a son so « perfect hapiness » isn’t something he is gonna achieve as easily as he did the first time because his hapiness depends on a lot of factors now. And I believe Buffy is the only one who can makes him loose his soul so...

Albion

Townie
I really like Angel and Cordy. I started really loving their relationships in the second half of season 2 and was really beginning to ship them as a couple. The relationship had a really nice friends to family build up but the switch to romantic always felt a little rushed.
I hated evil Cordy and Connor sleeping with Cordy was so messed up.

It sucks that after season 3 it was all evil Cordy so they never got the chance to explore the storyline more.

NeddaSai

Potential
Honestly Ats started losing me when all the romance appeared in S3, not just Cangel. The AI dynamic was much better for me during S1/2.

Cangel1987

♥ Cangel ♥ Spuffy ♥
I need to say, I liked Cordelia as well as Angel back in Sunnydale already. But I didn`t start to ship it, till season 1 of Angel.

I just wonder why people feel like it feelt forced betwem them is a puzzle for me. Or why Angel can`t be in a realationship with Cordelia, but with other “womans” Its a puzzle for me as well.

And one other subject which bothers me a LOT is that all blame Angel that he has left Buffy. But no one is upset with Joyce, she was the one who told Angel to left Buffy. And yes I loved Bangel back in the day. And I can only talk about myself because I was upset with Joyce instead of Angel.

And no I don`t feel that Cangel feelt forced at at. But well. Maybe its just my imagination on that matter. But as we all know taste are known to be different :)

BaskingINBangel

"Peanut butter, preferably crunchy!"
I'm sorry, but Cangel is my absolute least favorite pairing in the entire verse. It bothers me for so many reasons, too many to list at the moment, but the biggest ones are that I honestly don't feel any kind of romantic chemistry between those two, and I really liked the friendship dynamic between them.

Also, like others have pointed out, I feel like it was way too forced and kind of came out of nowhere. This pairing just does not work for me at all in a romantic sense.

Cangel1987

♥ Cangel ♥ Spuffy ♥
I think tastes vary a lot and it`s in the eye of the beholder. For me, for example - it was the most believable relationship. And again it lies in the eye of the viewer.

For me, the common growth of friends was more believable. Because my friend and I were first best friends. And then came together, that's why it was more meaningful to me. And I ship /ships where I feel attracted more. Because of real life experiences.

Top Bottom