• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Change one thing about season 1

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
If we can't make it a full season and I just have to change one thing as it is, then I would change Teacher's Pet, the idea that vampires are afraid of her was interesting, but I didn't like the episode.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Have a scene about what to tell Jesse's parents, and Giles pointing out why they can't really do that, and if they do they'll be interfered with by police who assume they at least know something about the disappearance and/or become an even bigger target than by vampires they already are (and possibly the rest of Jesse's family, possibly leading to them getting killed). After this scene, Jesse gets mentioned (with some memories) through the rest of the season, and that would include Jesse showing up in the episode Nightmares.

And there'd be nothing to say Jesse didn't murder a friend of Xander and Willow, or a family member (their own or Xander's) between Xander helping Buffy escape the trap and where Jesse was reduced to dust, which would add to both fear and guilt by Xander and Willow (and their growing resolve to help Buffy).

And a very close runner up, the Three being more threatening. I don't see how vampires so stupid and unresourceful (who lacked the imagination for the most simple tactics of supposedly seasoned hunters, say by grabbing Joyce and demanding Buffy invite them in, which Joyce would see as weird but accept the "gang on PCP" explanation, or even trying to burn the house down so there's no need for an invite) ever got the reputation that they did (my head canon is that they bullied others into advertising for them, but the Master and Darla saw right through them which is why there were no second chances).

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
In the episode Angel, when Darla tosses Joyce to him, have Angel give in and drink from her. Buffy standing there, Angel looks up and her mother's blood is smeared across his face.

S

SpotlessMindUK

Well apparently Jesse was originally going to be in the opening credits of the first 2 episodes but they couldn't afford to have 2 sets of credits so they didn't put him in however maybe they could go back and do that now for future DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital releases. Just a thought.

famicommander

Potential
I'd make Giles more competent in battle. He gets knocked out in most of the season one episodes it felt like, and he often struggled with one or two vampires. Whereas in season 7 he is able to handle multiple vampires simultaneously and in the finale he kills several Turok-Hans and comes out unscathed while Robin nearly died.

AnthonyCordova

modulating between criticism and reconstruction
Sineya
If they could make it a full 22 episode season I think I would like to see more attention given to the character Jesse. Delay his death so that it could be more impactful, by devoting some care and time to fleshing him out.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Kept either Darla or Luke alive/around a bit longer, to minimize the Annoying One's screentime and give us a Master minion that isn't just a new face each week. Maybe they could've survived to episode 10 and died in Nightmares.

Antho

Scooby
Give a continuity to some storyline. I want to know what happened to those eggs and where the hell is Marcie and what is she doing !

Reactions: Bop

wolfpuppy

Townie
I would've had Jesse's death have a bigger impact. Show Xander and Willow have more grief over his death. Show that Xander coped with his guilt over killing Jesse by him taking the more extreme hatred of vampires that he showed. It wouldn't have to be a big thing, just a few small character moments that connected the dots to how Xander is portrayed.

I would change almost everything about Darla. Her character is so different compared to later seasons on angel. I would start with her outfit. The school girl look was awful. Then of course she is too one dimensional. I love her character later, but Buffy season 1 she was. So one dimensional. Another thing is the Darla fight scene when she was using guns. One of the worst Buffy fight scenes.

I would also change angels abilities to fight. He was having trouble with fighting and later he seems like the strongest vampire ever.

I would also get rid of some bad Motw episodes and make the main plot a little bit more complex. Also the annoying one had to much screentime.

T
thrasherpix
While I don't disagree, I thought I'd add that drinking the blood of a Slayer makes a vampire much stronger, though I can't recall where I came across this. It does seem his physical attributes become more intense after drinking from Buffy.
wolfpuppy
wolfpuppy
The only good thing about how built up the Anointed One is, is that the payoff when Spike unceremoniously killed him was a great moment. I agree that developing Darla more would've been an improvement.

Stake fodder

Soulless
Give a continuity to some storyline. I want to know what happened to those eggs and where the hell is Marcie and what is she doing !
I agree that they should have had Marcie show up later. Since she went to some kind of government program, maybe she could have been part of the Initiative? But then, that wouldn't be a change for S1 itself, just continuity in a subsequent season.

For just this season, I'd say have Giles seem more sure of himself. He seemed more befuddled and reticent than he becomes later.

Crossbow

Potential
I would like to have seen Giles visit Buffy and her Mom, explain his job and give Buffy the Slayer handbook - first episode.

Ninjagirl2008

Townie
I'd like to jump on the "spend more time reacting to Jesse's death" bandwagon. In addition, I'd want to see more reaction in general to all the traumatic events. Nobody seems to care that principal Flutie died, reportedly eaten by wild dogs! That seems like it would be big gossip at school. And the number of students who die throughout the season seems like it would elicit something beyond the scenes when bodies are found.

Top Bottom