• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Characters getting the Tara Maclay treatment

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
with the next rumor being that Lincoln dies, although I have no clue if it's true or not, but if it is, just wait for the torches and the pitchforks
Lincoln is dead as a friggin doornail!! Count on that. It's not a rumor its a fact.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Lincoln is dead as a friggin doornail!! Count on that. It's not a rumor its a fact.
Good, that way the actor can go find a better show to be on :p Which I'll watch just because look at those abs
upload_2016-3-6_17-14-4.jpeg

But again, it just goes back to the trope of people of color also having a poor chance of survival in TV shows.

Spanky

Black Thorn
He's starring in Starz' American Gods based off the Neil Gaiman book.

Blaze
Blaze
Not sure about the American part, but he's got the god part down!

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I don't like guys but I still think he pure beefcake.

Blaze
Blaze
He is lol

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
And Dream Team. I will so have to check out that Starz show.

How about The Vampire Diaries, Lost Girl, The Walking Dead, Gotham, Pretty Little Liars, Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow...
Haven't seen the Vampire Diaries, or Gotham, so those might be a good one :)

As for The Walking Dead, PLL, Lost Girl and Arrow, they actually all fall for the "bury your gays" trope. The problem isn't that there are no shows with lesbians, the problem is how the lesbians are treated on shows. Again, it's not that lesbians shouldn't die, but if we look at the percentage, there are a much higher percentage of lesbians dying compared to straight characters. To the point where it's prominent in most shows.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
FYI Gotham fits the 'lesbians are all just evil/crazy/actually bisexual' trope. Aviod. :(

As for The Walking Dead, PLL, Lost Girl and Arrow, they actually all fall for the "bury your gays" trope.
To be fair I think The Walking Dead kills anybody off who isn't named Rick, Daryl or Michonne. :p

But in general I agree. Although Nyssa's like, my favourite character on Arrow, by a long ways and she's still alive.
I thought they brought back 'original BC' for the Legends spin-off. So that's something.

Blaze
Blaze
lol careful your favourite character might die :P To be fair I haven't seen Arrows though, all I knew was that a lesbian had died, but if a good plot comes out of it I can live with it

Spanky

Black Thorn
Glenn's goona die very soon. He's got a baby on the way.
that's like being a cop three days from retirement...or being a rookie cop with a wife and baby on the way.
I don't think he will.. I think the whole thing is a swerve. I think Glenn is going to go dark as a result of what happened last night. I think Daryl is the one getting a date with Lucille.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
As for The Walking Dead, PLL, Lost Girl and Arrow, they actually all fall for the "bury your gays" trope.
TWD - current lesbian couple, Tara & the Doctor
PLL - Emily, who is trying hard to date the new Brew manager
Lost Girl - Tamsin, Bo, Lauren currently
Arrow - Sarah & Nyssa
Legends of Tomorrow - Sarah, foot loose & fancy free but openly gay

Blaze: I know they have other gay/bi characters, but they still do fall for the trope which is my main issue
I guess I don't understand what they should do differently, if they have current lesbian characters? Though the original point was just to show that there are other shows other than the 100 with well written lesbian characters. Really, of those shows, the only lesbian deaths I can remember were Maya on PLL, which had a reason in the story, and Sarah on Arrow and she came back to life.

Blaze
Blaze
I know they have other gay/bi characters, but they still do fall for the trope which is my main issue

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I guess I don't understand what they should do differently, if they have current lesbian characters? Though the original point was just to show that there are other shows other than the 100 with well written lesbian characters. Really, of those shows, the only lesbian deaths I can remember were Maya on PLL, which had a reason in the story, and Sarah on Arrow and she came back to life.
One big issue from what I've seen is that if someone wants to watch a show without a lesbian character dying, there aren't many options. Even in the 100, the main character is still bisexual, but still, the lesbian character's death spread the notion that lesbians don't get happy ending, and neither does her bi girlfriend. It sorta goes hand in hand because even if there is still a gay character on the show, killing their significant other sends the message regardless. There are other shows with lesbians character, yes, but few have characters that are not stereotypes, even fewer have a happy ending. It's not about the ship ending up together either, it's just about showing that lesbians can get a happy ending too. Buffy and the 100 had some of the best written lesbian characters, but yes you are right, there are others, I just meant it's hard to turn to a different show where we won't witness a lesbian dying.

As for the death on those shows, Maya and Shana died on PLL (both were POC and lesbian), Nadia in Lost Girl, Alisha in the Walking Dead. As for Sarah I had no idea she came back to life. Here's a list of characters that died on different shows The 35 Most Horrifying Lesbian/Bi Character Deaths on Television - AfterEllen. That makes 35 lesbian/bi character that are dead (and there are more). Overall, the total amount of lesbian/bi characters make up for maybe double that number. Which means gay characters have a much higher death percentage than straight characters, hence the dead lesbian trope.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
They like to hint a lot on the shows but not really have them come out .
And in a lot of cases coming out is like having sex in a horror movie .
That means someone going to die.

Spanky

Black Thorn
So how would you have written the character off of the 100 if not to kill her? I just don't see another way to do it; not for that type of show. It just seemed death was the most logical way to do it.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
So how would you have written the character off of the 100 if not to kill her? I just don't see another way to do it; not for that type of show. It just seemed death was the most logical way to do it.
Why write her off? We know that the problem wasn't the actress or her schedule because both shows (ftwd and 100), as well as the actress herself, have said that she was able to do both shows. If they had to write her off, than they could have done something like they did in s2. And seeing as Clarke was leaving anyway, she could have just left leaving Lexa alive until the end of the season (we know the actress has filmed scenes for the end of the season already).

I understand that sometimes killing a character gives the best story, but in this case her death was pointless, it was just for shock value, the death wasn't related to the storyline. Had her death been related to the storyline would have been one thing. But then why kill/torture the 2 other lesbian characters. Not only that, but two other characters were shot/hurt in the exact same spot and they didn't die. If they were gonna write her death, at least write it properly. It's the same with how POC are treated like crap on that show. When all POC and all lesbian characters are treated badly on a show, the problem isn't just with the writing, it's with the way the producers think.

Spanky

Black Thorn
Why write her off? We know that the problem wasn't the actress or her schedule because both shows (ftwd and 100), as well as the actress herself, have said that she was able to do both shows.
I read a few things that implied it was because of the AMC contract and shows overlapping. It sounded like it was one or the other. It's the same reason many fear that they are going to kill off Daryl from TWD because Reedus has a new show. I just thought it was an AMC thing.

Blaze
Blaze
Didn't know that, that might be one reason why. Won't matter too much since the 100 has a high possibility of not being renewed. Regardless, I do believe there was better exits for the character

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I read a few things that implied it was because of the AMC contract and shows overlapping. It sounded like it was one or the other. It's the same reason many fear that they are going to kill off Daryl from TWD because Reedus has a new show. I just thought it was an AMC thing.
That's what they seem to be saying now that they're facing the backlash. But ftwd have said that the weren't preventing AMC from doing both shows, and the 100 producers (previous to the death) have said that ftwd had been very flexible about sharing the actress. AMC on her side said Lexa was her favourite character to play, so I doubt it was her call. That might have been just advertisement to keep the fans of AMC watching though, who knows. If it's the contract, it's one thing, but from what everyone was saying before the death, it doesn't seem to be the case, especially considering ftwd is only 6 episodes long.

Spanky
Spanky
That was only the first season.. the regular they are 15 with the option of doing 18.

Spanky

Black Thorn
But that's why I asked... how would you have written her out? Rather than killing her. I haven't watched the show in awhile it just seems that would be the only way to make a character go away. Or do you mean a better way to kill her?

Top Bottom