• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Characters You're Too Harsh On vs Characters You're Too Easy On

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Which characters in the Buffyverse are you too hard on? Which characters do you give a free pass to? I'm curious to see everyone's bias (judgement-free).

Myself, I tend to be too harsh on Riley (I just really don't like him but sometimes I start ranting about how gross and misogynistic he is, when in reality he's sexist but not a full-blown misogynist and he's probably not as gross as I make him out to be) and I'm very harsh on Spike (which half the time I think is warranted but sometimes is just me being petty). I can also be a bit hard on Willow, especially in the later seasons.

When I was younger I used to go ridiculously easy on Faith, due to over-identifying with her. I literally used to say that Buffy was the bitca in that relationship and that she treated Faith appallingly. While I do still believe that there was room for improvement when it came to the Scoobies' treatment of Faith, these days I'm much more acknowledging of Faith's crimes against Buffy and definitely don't view Faith through the rose-tinted glasses which I used to see her through.

I tend to go pretty easy on both Xander and Dawn these days (and sometimes Connor too), often forgiving/overlooking their mistakes and crimes due to the extreme hatred they receive in the fandom (this is particularly true of Xander). I just feel that with so many fans pointing out their flaws and foibles, someone needs to be in their corner, championing them and pointing out how they're actually not as bad as parts of the fandom make them out to be.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
I am too hard on Spike.
I am too easy on Faith.

People probably think I'm too easy on Angel. I actually have a healthy amount of criticism of him. It's just everyone else does such a good job of covering all of those bases and I get to busy trying to defend him :)

Mylie

Scooby
I'm probably too hard on Spike and early Xander.

I'm too easy on Faith and Dawn. Faith, because while I acknowledge all the ****ed up things she has done, I find her character fascinating and I'm so satisfied with her redemption arc that I don't particularly feel like criticizing her past behavior so much. Dawn because she gets so much hate and she's just a kid, doing the best she can.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
I don't have enough distance / self-awareness to answer this question. :p Every time I start to type something, my brain starts arguing with me.

There are a couple of easy ones. I am too hard on Riley because of my anger over the fact that he never has to take any responsibility for the breakup with Buffy. And I'm too easy on Joyce. I have a lot of sympathy for her.

W

WillowFromBuffy

Haha! This thread is a great idea.

These are all the things Willow does wrong in the show, IMO: She snaps at Tara, she tries to wipe Buffy and Tara's minds, she brought Dawn to Rack, she threatened to kill Dawn and she was part of the Scooby mutiny. Other than that, she has never done anything wrong. I'll let you judge if that is being too easy :p

I don't think I've ever said anything negative about Dawn.

I tend to be really hard on Faith. I've kinda made it my mission in life to remind people that she is a pretty horrible person. If someone wants to set me of, they only need to suggest Buffy wasn't patient enough with her. Buffy should be canonized.

I am very hard on Giles. For some reason, the man can do nothing right in my eyes. I'm quite hard on Wesley, too, though Wesley definitely deserves it.

I can be quite nit-picky with Angel, like if he frowns at Cordelia too much.

I am quite hard on early season Xander and very easy on him from S4 onwards.
I don't have enough distance / self-awareness to answer this question. :p Every time I start to type something, my brain starts arguing with me.
It's really hard not to say, "I am hard on them, because they suck" :p

SunnydaleGlitz
SunnydaleGlitz
Karma for this!

BuffyBot22

Scooby
I am too easy on Buffy. Literally anything bad she does I will find a plausible explanation for it and defend it until the very end. I think this may be due to the fact that I over identify with her.
I am also very easy on Cordy, but IMO there wasn't much to criticize besides her snobbiness in high school and the incredible OOC in the later seasons of Angel (which I do criticize this, but I heavily blame the writers for losing their minds with this story and character.)

I feel like most characters that I am hard on deserve what they get.
The only one I can see that maybe I'm too harsh on is Dawn. She was just a kid who got dealt a bad hand. It's just so did all these other kids and they handled it much better than her. However, I can see a lot of younger kids responding to traumatic life events like Dawn did, so maybe I should ease up on her a bit.

People probably think I am too hard on Spike, but I actually really enjoyed evil Spike (pre-chip) and I do not completely blame him for his and Buffy's destructive relationship, that was a 2 way street that got out of hand.
I think my harshness with him is more rooted in how the writers handled things versus the actual character. I really don't hate Spike, I just hate how the Spuffy thing was handled.

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."
I think I'm hard on Angel, in my own way. I don't tend to vocalize it, but of all the characters he's the one I tend to take most issue with, and he doesn't generally deserve a lot of it (or maybe he does, but no more than the other characters).

I'm pretty easy on Willow, because she's done some questionable things and I always remember her as perfect. Probably just because I enjoy her personality so much. I'm easy on Joyce as well. I'm listening to the podcast Dusted right now and they've brought up a lot of valid points against Joyce in S1 and 2 especially, and to all of them I nod and then go...nope still like her!

thrasherpix

Scooby
What's difficult for me here is that I tend to focus on writing and characterizations. If the terrible is in character then I'm inclined to go along with it. I don't expect people to be saints or perfect, or anywhere close to it, and it's those struggles with their "smaller souls" that can captivate me at times. I could've stood the series going much darker than it ever did (though the writers of season 6 should've known something about diminishing returns, when angst is saturated everywhere then its impact becomes less, at least without upping the stakes dramatically). It's notable that I love the character of Spike, and the actor, and I'm not even against the idea of Spuffy, it's the writing and tropes used that irk me (and they really needed a much better reason not to stake him early on in season 5 as it was getting ridiculous with what everyone was putting up with, and no way would Buffy spare Spike after nearly getting her boyfriend killed, especially not when it involved him trying to have his chip removed with Dru's help).

Snyder is pretty irredeemable in my eyes, but I was even curious what made him that way, and would not have been averse to one Synder-centric episode that explored his background that explained his relationship with the Mayor and just how much he knew, and why he sold out to dark forces while also being incredibly petty. Maybe he didn't have a soul of his own...

That said, perhaps I give Joyce too much of a break. I didn't the first time I watched it, but did more the second time. I know there is much she doesn't know, and Buffy (among others) both lie to her (though she seems to prefer that to the truth anyway, yet at the same time it somewhat justifies Joyce's misconceptions) as well as disrespect her. Buffy and Joyce have an interesting dynamic to me in which they love each other, but show very little respect to each other (though most of their sniping is passive aggressive or a brief flare up). And yet that seems like a lot of mother-daughter relationships.

Other characters looked different to me on a rewatch as well, with Xander notably becoming more appreciated by me and my thinking Willow was not the angel I remember (though neither of these were a major change).

I know I'm in a minority when I say that on the second viewing when I could remember the big picture while watching the details play out I loved Holtz's character (not to be confused with "I love Holtz"), most of my criticism over trivial details rather than his overall plan, and at the same time I loved how it strangely inversed the dynamic between himself and Angel so that it was very much like him against Angelus once upon a time. Angel took up the good fight while Holtz was downright artistic in his revenge and evil that should've grudgingly impress Angelus.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Character consistency is the key; I have my biases based on characters actions and if those actions make sense to me in any kind of moral framework.

Characters I'm too easy on:
Faith: She's gorgeous, well-acted and has the best redemption arc so...yeah. Also I sometimes focus too much on her 'end result' and the fact that she paid for her crimes (in comparison to anyone else) rather than the things she did to start off with which were truly awful (to characters I like as well).
I try to ease off on the 'justifications' part, she killed people because she was young and screwed up and alone and nobody loved her...see, I'm doing it again.
Not that it isn't accurate, but people died and that matters.

Angel: He does some very morally dubious things *ahem* Season 5 *ahem* but I find the way the writers deconstruct him to be really fascinating. Plus he's Irish-Catholic in his view of guilt and atonement, I can relate. Bonus, he's a complete action-hero beefcake, which is fun to watch.

Wesley: Over on Angel I enjoy his transformation so much that I can ignore some of his more boorish behavior/problematic aspects. Plus he stole a baby- one of the worst crimes I can imagine- and I'm all 'for the greater good!' I blame Alexis Denisof and his incredible acting range.

Fred: Who doesn't like Fred? I can see no wrong in her so...I must be bias, but I can't pin down why. Hmn.

Joyce: I never really criticize her because its hard being a parent and Buffy is pretty much a problem child given her slayer-status. I sort-of ignore her faults a bit.

Characters I'm too hard on:
Spike: I'll admit a lot of this is because of my experiences with the Spike fandom and their 'he's so wonderful/special' arguments (he's not). I've had EPIC arguments regarding this character and so that also skews things. I actually used to really like him, so I can be objective when it suits me, but mostly I do find him incredibly flawed, obnoxious and just plain boring post-soul. The lack of extensive internal conflict over his humanity being restored really hacks me off in comparison to other, better characters. Lastly Spuffy, which is no small thing in my mind for 'reasons to dislike'.
...Also the fact that he cuts himself way too much slack, brags about morally dubious things (post-soul) and *deep breath* the coat! That's right, I said it, I care about the coat, the principal of it and symbolism of it make me see right through his 'redemption' act.
That last bit was a joke btw. ;)

Anya: It's why I never discuss her beyond the superficial, I can see few redeeming qualities in her, I just can't. I know people like her/love her and honesty and her relationship with Xander, I think she's a mass-murdering toxic nightmare, I can't be objective. I actually cheered when she died and I never do that sort of thing.

Andrew: Another shallow character (see the pattern) who's there primarily for entertainment/comedy value but who I expect to be a deep, rich, rewarding character with some sort of personal arc. Because I'm disappointed I rarely can forgive all the truly bad things he did (not just killing Jonathan) that he never answers for. Really I should just relax and understand why he's there; nerdy one-liners.

The Bronze
The Bronze
The coat!

Taake

Raise your hand if... EW
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'm too hard on Spike, which is partly due because I hate that character type and it seems to pop up in the media I consume a lot. Also, some of what @thetopher said.
Maybe I'm a bit too hard on Willow, but I'm not sure if that's true or if it's @WillowFromBuffy using some kind of spell to turn my mind around...

I'm far too easy on Connor, because I just want to hug him and tell him everything is going to be ok, and let him know that he doesn't need to carry all that rage inside of him, and that someone believes in him. I'll forgive him anything, kind of.

MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
Yes some love for Connor!

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
I'm far too easy on Connor, because I just want to hug him and tell him everything is going to be ok, and let him know that he doesn't need to carry all that rage inside of him, and that someone believes in him. I'll forgive him anything, kind of.
Yeah, this is basically me. I love that broody, ragey, hopeless lost, just-wants-to-be-loved boy!

Antho

Scooby
I don't think I'm too easy on any character. I like many characters who are dislike by the fandom such as Riley and Dawn and Andrew !

But I'm definitely too hard on Spike but just here on Internet. When I'm watching Buffy I really love him, I have my understanding of the character, I know what I love about him, what I hate on him, what are his good/bad actions. I just think that sometimes I'm too hard on him because fandom have a tendancy to idolize him and find excuse to absolutely EVERY bad actions he did !

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
I'm too easy on Angel
I'm too hard on.... I don't think I'm too hard on anyone.

sosa lola

Scooby
I'm too easy on Xander, especially the early seasons, also Willow, Riley and Joyce as I feel those four get the most hate nowadays. I'm also easy on Angel and Connor, I see both sides and sympathize a great deal with both of them.

I'll admit that I find myself becoming too hard on Buffy and Anya. It's mostly a reaction to being often exposed to popular arguments like "Buffy's always right" and "Anya is too good for Xander" which I feel are both not true, and the characters began to rub me the wrong way.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
It would be no surprise that I am too easy on Connor too because well just adore him and all his anger/angst!

I am mostly easy on every character that I like but really Buffy and Angel can't do no wrong because I just find they do so much good that they get a pass when it comes to decisions. On the BB we can say that I am easy on Xander and Spike because I generally defend them in discussion and still love them after all they have done. Oh and Faith gets a pass too because well Eliza Dushku is amazing!!!!!!!

I am mostly hard on Dawn, Anya and Riley. With each re-watch I do find Riley better as a love interest and I don't hate him like I use too. As for Dawn and Anya well it's for very different reasons but mostly because they are very self-centered persons and I hate that. I know Dawn is very neglected but I just can't seem to emphatize with her. At least Anya is funny!

Top Bottom