• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Characters You're Too Harsh On vs Characters You're Too Easy On

vznspike

Potential
Black Thorn
I suppose I'm way too easy on Spike, Anya and Buffy, they can do no wrong in my eyes, as bad as some of the things they do, I always find a reasoning behind it, just so I can forgive them

I'm way too harsh on Riley, Cordelia and Angel, no particular reason, they just rub me the wrong way 🤷‍♀️I can see the good things about them as well as the problematic things, guess the problems stick more with them

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
It's hard to say who I'm hard or soft on since I feel like I have genuine reasons for either one. For example, I'm not the biggest fan of Buffy as a character, so obviously I'm not going to defend her actions since I rarely agree with them. On the other hand, I am a big fan of Xander, and part of that is being able to see him for more than just whatever actions others might put him down for.

That being said, I'm very unforgiving of characters like Riley and Kennedy, despite understanding that they were not written that way on purpose, mostly because they have characteristics that would piss me off in person, partly because neither redeems their bad actions before they exit the show.

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
That being said, I'm very unforgiving of characters like Riley and Kennedy, despite understanding that they were not written that way on purpose, mostly because they have characteristics that would piss me off in person, partly because neither redeems their bad actions before they exit the show.
I think that's key in understanding my reaction to certain characters too. I don't hate Riley, but whenever I remember that the conclusion for the character is what we got in As You Were, my sympathy for him plummets. Although I guess technically speaking the last we hear of him is in the Killer in Me, and he respects Buffy's decision making capacities, but still, I wish the show had made an effort to balance the "blame ratio" between him and Buffy.

GreyWalker1958

Potential
Too harsh:

Xander- only because I find him from S1 to Selfless (plus his rock bottom in betraying Buffy through Simone and Severin in S9) deplorable while S10 and 11 allowed what Whedon himself couldn't: personal growth and recognizing his own problems.

Too Easy:

Gunn- gang mutiny at Caritas aside, Im guilty of letting him get a pass when it came to his 2nd brain boost (leading to Fred's "demise"/Illyria's arrival); he really had 0 clue about the sarcophagus and Knox being a deciple. Plus him being Vamped as to me, he became what he hunted when he saw his own sister become one.

Connor: he didn't ask to be born but he damn sure didn't asked to be a victim of an ex-Watcher regressing back to his old ways circa Sunnydale (when he could've consulted the others or Hell, reach out to his pops Roger or Giles) and live in a Hell Dimension for all of his childhood and teen years.

Top Bottom