• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Charisma claims she never hid her pregnancy and is backed by Tim

W

WillowFromBuffy

It is very common among woman not to announce til they know its gona stick. Especially in those who have miscarried before. Its more general knowledge than Charisma specific.
It relates to Charisma, so it is Charisma-specific.

W

WillowFromBuffy

It looks to me that because it is common to wait until after the first trimester to share the news of a pregnancy, people have assumed that this was at the root of the falling out between Joss and Charisma. But when this assumption gets circulated it cements into fact. Then 12 weeks becomes four months or five months and so on. There's no shortage of imagination around here.

Charisma says that no-one involved with the show has claimed that she hid the news of her pregnancy. If somebody here knows otherwise, they should be able to produce a sourced quote.

The longer people speculate that Charisma hid her pregnancy, the more justified Joss's anger seems.

Taake

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Staff member
Black Thorn
I mean, you don’t need imagination for the 12 weeks thing, that is standard medical practice (which includes Charisma, since this is Charisma specific). It is a high risk period for miscarriage, which is far more common than most seem to think it is.

As for 4-5 months and pernicious hiding, I must be hanging out on the right side of the fandom because I’ve never seen that as a general assumption. It has always been about CC being careful about telling until it was safe to do so, due to earlier miscarriages (which granted may have been fables from interviews not properly quoted). And everybody thinking Joss was a terrible monster for nor having understanding and compassion with her situation and being a child about it.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone suggest that Charisma was in the wrong here, or that it went on for months.

But then, Twitter is kind of a cesspool so of course it’d pop up there.

Taake

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Staff member
Black Thorn
Guess I view the ”backing up” differently. But have fun looking for, well, whatever it is you are looking for here. I suggest old Comic Con panels where CC may say different things than she’s saying now. 15+ years after all.

W

WillowFromBuffy

But have fun looking for, well, whatever it is you are looking for here.
The fandom has been spreading the rumour that Charisma hid her pregnancy. The rumours are now being spread in click-bait articles. Charisma has now asked people to stop propagating them. I don't see why we should not respect that.

If she has said different in the past, then fine, but shouldn't someone be able to find out what and when?

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Believe what you want to believe, I guess. I thought we were looking for the reason people thought Joss punished Charisma for getting pregnant...

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Some people wait even longer until the child is viable before announcing, like 7/8 months. I can understand why a celeb would want to keep that out of the spotlight. She didn't lie. A woman does not have to disclose that they are growing a child even if it is visible. That is not hiding it, just being cautious until the kid is sure to live. I guess blokes cant understand how traumatic it can be to have a human being die inside you and fall out ya vag.

As has already been mentioned, hiding it is not the same as not announcing it. Joss chucked a sad cos he had to switch up his story, when he really didn't need to, should have got tips from the Bold and the Beautiful about shoulder up camera angles and well placed props.

W

WillowFromBuffy

I thought we were looking for the reason people thought Joss punished Charisma for getting pregnant...
No, she's talked at lengths about Joss's reaction to her pregnancy in much more recent interviews, such as a podcast episode called "Don't Mess with Charisma Carpenter." What she's saying now is that hiding the pregnancy was never part of it. It was simply that she got pregnant during the big evil!Cordelia story arc.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
It looks to me that because it is common to wait until after the first trimester to share the news of a pregnancy, people have assumed that this was at the root of the falling out between Joss and Charisma. But when this assumption gets circulated it cements into fact. Then 12 weeks becomes four months or five months and so on. There's no shortage of imagination around here.

Charisma says that no-one involved with the show has claimed that she hid the news of her pregnancy. If somebody here knows otherwise, they should be able to produce a sourced quote.

The longer people speculate that Charisma hid her pregnancy, the more justified Joss's anger seems.
People assuming the pregnancy was the root of the falling out between Joss and CC makes sense. Before the pregnancy they were fine and Joss was excited for his evil Cordy storyline, once she was pregnant their relationship became strained and Joss suddenly decided that there wasn't much need for the character. Add in the fact that CC has said that Joss was mad about the pregnancy and its clear. Is this assumption something you take issue with?

I don't know about the timeline of when she told her employers. I've always assumed it was around the first trimester mark as that is whats most common, but it could have been before or after that. We'll never know and really have no right to know. There could have been numerous medical reasons for her not sharing at the 12 week mark and waiting later....no one should have to publicly share their medical issues. It would be odd to know specifically when someone shared their pregnancy with their employer.

I agree that some people may use the she hid her pregnancy line in an attempt to justify Joss' actions. Joss certainly has some super fans that try to justify everything though. In my experience in this fandom, it seems that most people side with CC.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
No, no, no!
I think some may be confused what your issue is then. Simply the she hid her pregnancy excuse? Because around here that is not used to justify what Joss did a lot. Nor have we seen lots of timeline rumors about her.

We have a right, because she has told us, so that people will stop claiming that she hid it. She wants us to know that, because the rumours have gotten out of hand.
Yeah, I disagree. Pregnancy and the female body is not a one size fits all standard thing, especially after miscarriage. Her saying she didn't hid it is all the info we need, she shouldn't have to explain the exact gestational age her baby was to appease fans. Also, saying "they knew from the beginning" is going to be a different time for every woman....12 weeks could easily be that, as can 8 or 16 even.

W

WillowFromBuffy

I think one "journalist" on Screen Rant said something and Char set him straight. I haven't seen anywhere that "the rumours have gotten out of hand".
It is on Screen Rant, because fan sites like this have been spreading it as truth for years. I think we should take some responsibility for what we say.
Yeah, I disagree. Pregnancy and the female body is not a one size fits all standard thing, especially after miscarriage. Her saying she didn't hid it is all the info we need, she shouldn't have to explain the exact gestational age her baby was to appease fans. Also, saying "they knew from the beginning" is going to be a different time for every woman....12 weeks could easily be that, as can 8 or 16 even.
Then why are you claiming to have an understanding that she waited the first trimester? You have no grounds for it. I don't care if she hid it. That's not the issue. We shouldn't pass around plausible rumours just because they're plausible. Let Charisma speak for herself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom