1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Chould Kendra stayed alive and turn her evil in season 3 and countine Faith storylines?.

Discussion in 'Season 2' started by Benz, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Benz

Benz Potential

I know it may seem very unlikely for Kendra to turn evil after being perfect slyer but lets just stay she stayed in Sunnydale and was no longer under eyes of her strict watcher able to see more of life away form slyering could made her new outlook on and she becomes more wild and takes Faith of rouge slyer.

I think I would rather have Kendra as I preferred Bianca Lawson style of acting then Eliza style of acting and I think reason why could never become huge fan of Faith was Eliza style of acting.

Anyanka Bunny Killer: Kendra > Faith
    Anyanka Bunny Killer likes this.
  2. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    I always thought Bianca was a bit wooden as Kendra, and I don't think she could have kept that awful accent up for too long....
    I guess there is no reason why they couldn't have slotted Kendra into what became the Faith arc. I may be a tad biased but I think Eliza nailed the bad girl role....not sure Bianca could have done the same?

Puppet, Fuffy Baith and Blaze like this.
  3. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    I really didn't like Kendra or Bianca Lawson in the role of Kendra, so I'm glad that didn't happen (nothing again BL in general, kinda like Marc Blucas as Riley, both actors are fine in other stuff, but I didn't like their Buffy roles at all).

That being said they could have done the storyline with Kendra, or any slayer really, and it would have worked fine. I just enjoy Faith's backstory way more. And Kendra dying added to how the slayer mythos worked so that was also nice.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  4. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Surrealistic Ninja

Black Thorn
    I believe that if Joss hadn't burdened Bianca with that terrible accent, Kendra might've had a good run on the show.

And the way she died was so POINTLESS.

Puppet and Dora like this.
  5. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    Kendra was only in the story for one reason: as a contrast with Buffy. Buffy represents a slayer who does not necessarily follow the training set out by the Watchers' Council but does have situational awareness and the ability to think for herself. Kendra is the fully indoctrinated product of Council training with no tendency to think for herself. Faith is a third option: a wild girl with baggage including seeing her Watcher killed by Kakistos. Without Kendra's death, our view of Buffy would be that of a slayer who did not measure up, did not complete her training and had little ability to cope with things covered in training.

Kendra is one of the possible choices of how to train and act as a slayer - too much training and discipline versus Faith with too little training and little discipline. Buffy is the middle-of-the-road Goldilocks choice without excess in wither direction. I don't think a deviation from the plot to have Kendra continue would serve the story.

Besides, without the death of Kendra, we would never meet Faith!

Puppet likes this.
  6. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

I like the idea of Kendra turning bad, because she has further to fall than Faith, and it's always interesting to see someone so good turn evil. I'm just not sure it would have been very realistic and I just can't imagine Kendra as she was written, turning evil. Even if Kendra had accidentally killed a human, she would have gone straight to Giles to confess, the catalyst for Faith's fall wouldn't exist. Plus I really enjoy Kendra's death, Dru is so good in that scene, though I always thought, from a vamps pov, it was a terrible waste of Slayer blood

Puppet likes this.
  7. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

If Dru had turned Kendra instead of just killing her, we would have had the thing that so many fans have speculated on: a Slayer vampire, as opposed to a vampire Slayer. Plus, we could still have had Faith come along. Team up vampire Kendra with the Mayor in a plot for the Ascension, and you would have one god-awful Season Big Bad, plus having the added bonus of not having to turn Faith bad, so the two Slayers could remain friends.

Just imagine Buffy and Faith squaring off against a being with the skills of a Slayer, and the power and ruthlessness of a vampire. Talk about Fight Of The Century...

Puppet and Last Watcher like this.
  8. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I was never really impressed with Kendra as a character, even getting past that accent.

Her character just wasn't that deep; she was an archetype- this is what the 'perfect' slayer is in the eyes of the Watcher's council.
    She was obedient to the point of not really having a personality of her own.

I couldn't ever imagine Kendra acting like Buffy, never mind acting like Faith. I don't imagine the storyline could ever have been that convincing, never mind as good as the one we got.

9. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

I like this in theory, and yes the BB would be phenomenal, but I absolutely loved Faith and The Mayor and their dynamic and I wouldn't want to lose that. Faiths arc was one of the best things about S3.

Plus I prefer Buffy and Faith at odds, I think it's more dramatic and entertaining. Buffy becomes friends with virtually everyone in the verse, even Andrew, and I like to see that there is someone she just cannot seem to get along with, or it's UST and either way I like it. Buffy's relationship with Faith humanises Buffy.

Puppet likes this.
  10. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

I always wanted Buffy and Faith to be friends. There was just something in the chemistry of the two girls working together that I never saw with Buffy and Kendra. Buffy and Faith could be compared to two sides of the same coin or as yin and yang, each complimenting the other in style and personality. At least, that's the way that I always saw them.

When it came to Buffy and Kendra, I never saw them as anything more two different people who just happened to both be Slayers.

Puppet likes this.
  11. Smile Time

Smile Time Fuffy Apologist

Sineya
    No, Kendra is too much of a goody two shoes to pull off a storyline like that...