• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Christian Kane Was Nervous About Lindsey Posing As Doyle

HisMrs

The Walking BED
Sineya
I saw this on IMDB:
In an interview, Christian Kane admitted that he and David Boreanaz were very uneasy about doing the "Lindsey posing as Doyle" storyline in season five.
Well, I have to say that I felt this part of the Season 5 storyline was in poor taste. With everything that had happened behind the scenes with Glenn Quinn, and how beloved the character was in the eyes of the fans, I was unhappy when I watched this unfolding.
What do you think?

Skytteflickan88

Proud Spikette
Storywise I think it was good. I cry every time I watch Hero, but I still think it was alright that they used Doyle's death like that, to trully show what an a** Lindsey is. But considering the "back stage stuff", maybe it wasn't the best choice.

G
GrrArghx
[No message]
dragx
dragx
[No message]

Lindsey McDonald

Spirit Boy
Really? I can understand it perhaps being in poor taste to do it immediately afterwards, but this was years later. The arc ends up honouring the character, so I don't really have a problem with it on either level. If the actors hadn't trusted the writers and showrunners to handle it delicately, I doubt they would have done it. You can see the strength of the friendships that were born on that set, so it didn't really make me uncomfortable.

W
Wishing Oceans
[No message]

Tome

Berktwad
Black Thorn
I always pondered what was the point of doing that for Lindsey. Why that name exactly? To piss off Angel? Why for? Someone explain to meH!

HisMrs

The Walking BED
Sineya
Well, Glenn Quinn died in 2002 of really horrible circumstances... this season of Angel was airing in 2003. :( That's why I thought it was in poor taste.

Skytteflickan88

Proud Spikette
I always pondered what was the point of doing that for Lindsey. Why that name exactly? To piss off Angel? Why for? Someone explain to meH!
I think either a) Lindsey did it to offend Angel behind his back or b) He knew Angel would find out sooner or later about him and Spike, and wanted it to hurt.

I think A. But I wonder if Lindsey really cared if he got caught. Wouldn't using Doyle's name make it seem like it was him? Did he care? Did he Spike would never tell about his seer?

GrrArghx

No touching my clipboard!
Well both Christian and David were really close with Glenn so I get why it was uncomfortable. But as others have said; story wise I thought it was okay. I thought it worked really well too.

But I totally get why it was uncomfortable behind the scenes.

W
Wishing Oceans
[No message]
T
TheChosenTwo
[No message]

Tome

Berktwad
Black Thorn
Wouldn't using Doyle's name make it seem like it was him? Did he care? Did he Spike would never tell about his seer?
That's what I was thinking... I never got the whole thing with Lindsey in season 5. They tell us he's trying to make Angel doubt himself so the SP realize he's not worth the energy spent. But I thought Lindsey quit W&H because of his own choice... Did he really want Angel place? Because that's what he let us suppose with all this bullshit he was doing.

Skytteflickan88

Proud Spikette
That's what I was thinking... I never got the whole thing with Lindsey in season 5. They tell us he's trying to make Angel doubt himself so the SP realize he's not worth the energy spent. But I thought Lindsey quit W&H because of his own choice... Did he really want Angel place? Because that's what he let us suppose with all this bullshit he was doing.
I assumed his plan was to hurt and kill Angel.

Make him suffer, seeing Spike out-champion him and saving him, then killing him in You're Welcome.

I can't recall if we're told why Eve tried to kill Angel, and Lindsey then sent Spike to save Angel (Soul Purpose). Did Lindsey want to kill Angel himself, and didn't care that the Senior Partners would get pissed with Eve for trying to kill Angel? I kind of felt like Eve was the only one "invested" in that relationship, while Lindsey just used her.

Well both Christian and David were really close with Glenn so I get why it was uncomfortable. But as others have said; story wise I thought it was okay. I thought it worked really well too.

But I totally get why it was uncomfortable behind the scenes.
Yes, supposedly Boreanaz and Kane were close with him so I get it.

He wanted Angel to find out, I'm sure. And using the name of his fallen friend made it more dramatic. Lindsey thought of himself as some great nemesis for Angel.

Bungle Jerry

Orthopedic Pants
If your goal is to get the best out of your actors, it was a brilliant idea. "You're Welcome" is so full of genuine, unscripted emotion that it's compelling even when the writing approaches melodrama. At several points, David Boreanaz and Charisma Carpenter are definitely not acting, and their confrontation with Eve about the name Doyle is an example.

white avenger

white avenger
As recall, Lindsey left W&H because the hand that had been transplanted onto his wrist was having evil influences on him, so he was basically trying to distance himself from the Senior Partners as far as possible in hopes that by doing so, he would be better able to control it. Apparently the hand won out in the end.

S
Skytteflickan88
What makes you think that? I thought the hand wasn't evil, it just wanted to die.
As recall, Lindsey left W&H because the hand that had been transplanted onto his wrist was having evil influences on him, so he was basically trying to distance himself from the Senior Partners as far as possible in hopes that by doing so, he would be better able to control it. Apparently the hand won out in the end.
I don't think so. He was disenchanted by Wolfram and Hart after he and Angel found that place where the people were being harvested and he had to put the former owner of the hand out of his misery.

And also, the hand wasn't evil. It was still somehow 'linked' to the former owner who wanted to die.

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
I saw this on IMDB:

Well, I have to say that I felt this part of the Season 5 storyline was in poor taste. With everything that had happened behind the scenes with Glenn Quinn, and how beloved the character was in the eyes of the fans, I was unhappy when I watched this unfolding.
What do you think?
Back on topic I would say that I understand why Christian Kane felt awkward about it.
I was quite shocked about it the first time I watched it because Doyle was still fresh in my memory, though he had left the show years earlier (I really loved that character)

But it was an excellent way to tell the story, it was just so cruel both to Angel and the audience. It gave something extra to Lindsey's return.

HisMrs

The Walking BED
Sineya
But it was an excellent way to tell the story, it was just so cruel both to Angel and the audience. It gave something extra to Lindsey's return.
Yeah, for the story's sake, it was pretty good... It let us know that Lindsey was still dark and sinister, and would stop at nothing to get at Angel. But on a personal level, I can't see how the writers would do that.

*sigh* Oh well...

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
Yeah, for the story's sake, it was pretty good... It let us know that Lindsey was still dark and sinister, and would stop at nothing to get at Angel. But on a personal level, I can't see how the writers would do that.

*sigh* Oh well...
yes it definitely gave me a "oh no they didn't!" feeling

HisMrs

The Walking BED
Sineya
Me too... When I first watched that ep I remember my jaw dropping open and my eyes getting big and then going "Awwww, not cool".

Tasha

Dn'* letthespacebugsbite!
Sineya
yes it definitely gave me a "oh no they didn't!" feeling
LOL that's excatly what i thought!
It was a bit strange of them to use the name 'Doyle'
I don't know why CK would feel awkward, it's not his fault.. but i know where he's coming from.

Another thing that bugged me about that was that Spike had past interactions with Doyle in the 1st season.

The episode In the Dark.

When Spike wanted to get the Gem of Amara from Angel.

So he knew what Doyle looked like, but Lindsey was still able to easily dupe him?

Chris2

Potential
I don't think he got Doyle's name - when he asked who he was, Doyle just replied "More than meets the eye, blondie."

Even if he did, that's one meeting five years ago where the two barely interacted. He might just have forgotten about him.

G
GrrArghx
[No message]
Top Bottom