• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Christmas Planning!

Have you started your Christmas shopping yet?

• Yes

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
No I don't care that it's September!

I've done around half of my shopping so far, and want to be done by the end of October.

• Love
Reactions: Nix

Nix

🤪
Sineya
Well, you know me! I've been planning and buying bits all year. Got my wrapping paper and cards this week. Used the Christmas planner diary to map out what I've got and need to get. Been working on the wish lists on Amazon and private ones for friends. We have Abbs Nanny and Uncles over for Christmas Day this year so lots more presents to buy and a dinner to organise. Oh that reminds me I need to design place settings!

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I only just started compiling a wish list for the fam yesterday and then I'll start to buy things next week when I get my October paycheck. For the past two years, I've only been able to afford presents for the nieces, I hope to expand back to my parents and sister this year.

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
I only just started compiling a wish list for the fam yesterday and then I'll start to buy things next week when I get my October paycheck. For the past two years, I've only been able to afford presents for the nieces, I hope to expand back to my parents and sister this year.
Are you going to make the little animals again for advent this year? (Crochet?)

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Are you going to make the little animals again for advent this year? (Crochet?)
Nah, not doing advent presents anymore. Now that there are two nieces, gathering (or making) 48 things for them every year, on top of actual presents, is just too stressful and expensive. I also haven't crocheted in over a year - I'll get back to it someday, but not right now.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Excuse me @Puppet, you did say that you'll get back to it someday, but not right now (that was sort of a quote-ish thing) - did you mean the now that will be a part of someday or the now that is part of today?

LemonBanana

Glorious Purpose
Sineya
No! Don't say that word! It's too early! Not... CHRISTMAS! Bah humbug!

I've been making marvel prints (t-shirts and things) for my little cousins who have recently become obsessed and the leftover things can go to my close family who are also fans. The problem is, my birthday is really near to Christmas so I often get nothing because its always, "I'll give you your birthday present at Christmas so it counts as both!" but I never see either from anyone other than my mum, cousin or aunt (my closest family). I rather enjoy Christmas just for the festive spirit though, and I enjoy it more when it's more about that (despite not being religious).
Good luck with Christmas shopping everyone... you might need it with all these empty shelves (curses in Brexit)

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
I admire the stamina of people above! I asked not to exchange Christmas presents anymore some years ago, because it just made the whole month of December stressful to me. Now I can enjoy the season without the anxiety.
This is the way imho.
In my family we dropped the Christmas shopping many years ago between us siblings. (I kinda dropped it long before the agreement though...)

Made life much easier, relaxed and nicer in general and I don't think anyone miss it.

/SK

Nix

🤪
Sineya
I love making or buying presents for people... I get mucho happies when people actually like what they have received. I'm addicted to Christmas and our family traditions.

Today I've been designing the place settings and the Christmas menu... mainly cause I'm excited but I also need to know what size turkey to order from the butchers this year and I need to get in in October.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I love making or buying presents for people... I get mucho happies when people actually like what they have received.
I feel like this but struggle with affording the kind of present-gifting I'd like to do. However, at the moment I'm planning something big and I'm kinda excited; it involves a lot of presents and I have four years to get the project finished :)

Nix
Nix
OOo sounds exciting :D Yeah it's annoying when I can't afford what I want to get people but I still enjoy it.
  • Love

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
You always know that Christmas has really begun to be when the * Bah Humbugs * in Christmas paper wrappings appear in the shops.
And for those who are not aware of it, "Bah" means
B = Black and White coloured sweets.
ah = when the sweets are eaten (sucked) - after regular shopping hours.

Hunga Munga

Scooby
Yeah old Munga has been thinking of Christmas :) .

Last year or two I've found myself a bit undergunned in the cooking department on Christmas day , especially if the woodburner wasn't going . I've got all the stuff but big pans of veg don't cook well on my weedy little hobs . Spent the last month or so looking at miniovens and allsorts but didn't find what I was looking for . In the end I bought a cheap trailing socket 5 litre hotpot to see me through winter .

I did a Christmas test run with it today :D , boiled a whole cabbage and a few pounds of potatoes for sunday lunch to dial in the timings . ;) Yeah it's a decent tool , won't use it for much other than veg .

Haven't finalized my Xmas day menu yet but cabbage , mash , brussels , sauerkraut , broccoli , baby carrots(tinned) mushy peas and bread sauce are frontrunners .

I'm not wasting my time on a big bit of meat . I'll have a small cooked ham , some nice sausages , a nut roast and a few veggie bits , maybe a couple of quids worth of liver in the freezer . I'll concentrate on the veggies .. maybe do a cauliflower cheese in the slow cooker . :)

Hunga Munga

Scooby
My Christmas cupboard isn't looking too bad , mostly tins and jars of pickles . I've been picking up a few bits with my weekly shopping for a while ...doing sauces and freezer veg this week ;) . Got some frozen okra on order which I'll be delighted if it comes . I like plenty of options with green veg at christmas . Last year I was throwing down spinach like it was crack :D

I'm also heading up to the 'big town' this week . I'm aiming to get a good chunk of stuff from Lidl and Morrisons . I'll probably only see a high street once more this year , so I'm hoping Lidl is running bits of the Christmas range . They stock stuff I can't buy anywhere else .

The bulk of my groceries will still get delivered by Asda :) . Counting the days til the Christmas slots become available . I am not mucking about this year . I'll take an extra slot before Christmas , another one before New Years . Pretty much food shortage/pandemic proof .

Usually I make a bit of fuss about holiday cooked breakfasts but not really feeling the vibe for big blow outs at the moment .
Eggs and tomatoes on toast ? Eggs Benedict ? Lacking a bit of inspiration there . I want something cooked and lovely but not so filling I get lazy about the dinners :D .

Same same with the booze . Lacking inspiration . Got a bottle of nice rum on my birthday and I'll be getting some whiskey/s . Bottles of sherry ? Port ? As an ex problem drinker I don't keep a lot of booze around , so I'd rather be lazer focused with the drinkies purchases .

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
I picked up a pack of Christmas cards yesterday, just a 10 pack as I'm sure I have some from last year, checked the wrapping paper and have plenty. I think I've got a few presents arriving today, need to figure out where I'm going to store things!

Hunga Munga

Scooby
Fortunately all my gifts will be consumables like wine or chocolates . No real pressure , just need to shop smart once . I'm more likely to buy folk proper gifts randomly during the year .

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Dangerous when bored
Black Thorn
I've already selected the presents I'm giving out. And now that I know there won't be a problem shipping stuff internationally, I'm more relaxed. However, I can't buy chocolate, biscuits, or cake for anyone's present because I always eat them before I can mail them. Always.

Nix

🤪
Sineya
I'm ordering the turkey tomorrow... booking a crown for 8 people... not looking forward tot he cost but will see... oh and I've just found out one guest is now a veggie... lol

Top Bottom