• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Clea Duvall

samthevamp

Townie
Anyone wish she'd come back??? Of course, she would have been more interesting as a better character. Imagine her as a recurring character in latter day Angel. Of course, I loved her on Veep.

katmobile

Scooby
Completely. she could have been captured by the initiative. Some potential storyline there. It's a missed opportunity and a lack of continuity of course.
Agreed and they could have tied up a thread with the invisible academy and it's links to The Initiative as both are government run.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Completely. she could have been captured by the initiative. Some potential storyline there. It's a missed opportunity and a lack of continuity of course.
I think one reason they didn't bring her back was that by that time Duvall had started getting movie roles. If Buffy was on now it would be much easier to get her back. Also at the time of S1 the show didn't have a clear direction of where it was going, so a character like that was there to serve a MOTW type role. I don't agree its a lack of continuity. I think it worked well enough as a one shot deal and the ending on its own was kinda cool. It's just there was potential to bring her back.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
That would have been nice to have her captured by the initiative & then have the Agency she worked for fighting so to speak with them .
After all the academy was run by the Government & the Initiative was run by the Military . Would have been nice to see them going at each other .

Antho
Antho
Yeah it would have been a great storyline :)

Priceless

Scooby
Marcie Ross was a metaphor for high school. The show did something really interesting with her, also a metaphor for those kids who are bullied in school becoming the big bads in later seasons; see Jonathan. There was no reason to bring her back and I'm fine that they didn't. Fans take so quickly to certain characters and want to see more of them, even when they've outlived their reason for being on the show. Sunday the vamp from The Freshman is another one everyone seems to like, but she and Marcie were one shot characters only.

ChaseRules

Sineya
Marcie Ross was a metaphor for high school. The show did something really interesting with her, also a metaphor for those kids who are bullied in school becoming the big bads in later seasons; see Jonathan. There was no reason to bring her back and I'm fine that they didn't. Fans take so quickly to certain characters and want to see more of them, even when they've outlived their reason for being on the show. Sunday the vamp from The Freshman is another one everyone seems to like, but she and Marcie were one shot characters only.
You frogotting the people who took Marcie away . That part just cried out for something more . Not a lot but something that showed that
that group was still out there . And Sunday was good in that she showed that Vamps can think & not just be casual killers or out to destroy the world.

Antho

Scooby
but she and Marcie were one shot characters only.
I agree for Sunday but not for Marcie. Sunday is killed at the end of the episode. The story is closed. So obviously you are right she was meant to be a one shot character in the mind of the producers. But I don’t think Marcie is also like that. The producers didn’t kill her character. They could have put her in jail or having the council taking care of her but they just show an government agency taking her and make us understand that she will become more important. The story is not closed like Sunday. It assumes that there will be a continuity. But it doesn’t have one.. surely because of the actress who wasn’t available. Or they just forget !

ChaseRules

Sineya
I agree for Sunday but not for Marcie. Sunday is killed at the end of the episode. The story is closed. So obviously you are right she was meant to be a one shot character in the mind of the producers. But I don’t think Marcie is also like that. The producers didn’t kill her character. They could have put her in jail or having the council taking care of her but they just show an government agency taking her and make us understand that she will become more important. The story is not closed like Sunday. It assumes that there will be a continuity. But it doesn’t have one.. surely because of the actress who wasn’t available. Or they just forget !
IF you ask me I think they just didn't want to take the time to think of something more to do with her . After all since she invisible they could have the
actress go into a sound studio if she couldn't tape with them & read her lines so I don't think it was because they couldn't get hold of her .

Antho
Antho
You could be right

Mr Trick

Scooby
IF you ask me I think they just didn't want to take the time to think of something more to do with her . After all since she invisible they could have the
actress go into a sound studio if she couldn't tape with them & read her lines so I don't think it was because they couldn't get hold of her .
It probably never entered their heads because S1 was full of MOTW episodes and that much planned for the show moving forward.

Priceless

Scooby
The 'men in black' characters that took Marcie away were kind of represented by Riley and the Initiative.

Antho
Antho
I can agree with that

ChaseRules

Sineya
The 'men in black' characters that took Marcie away were kind of represented by Riley and the Initiative.
Could be but the Initiative was Military & those people didn't look military so Pre -Initiative ?

It probably never entered their heads because S1 was full of MOTW episodes and that much planned for the show moving forward.
That one weakness of Season 1 right there.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Where Marcie Ross was taken, they were teaching assassination and infiltration, meaning they were not regular military - it sounds like the CIA. The Initiative sounds like a Special Forces research unit. I doubt they would ever team up to the extent that they transferred personnel although the two groups might collaborate or at least share information.

Myheadsgonenumb

Potential
As she was trained by the government and the initiative are also a government agency it's more likely she would have worked for the initiative than been captured by them.

Could be but the Initiative was Military & those people didn't look military so Pre -Initiative ?
The Initiative was a military government hybrid - we see the commander who replaces Walsh talking with government officials in Washington on the screen, and when Graham recruits Riley in s5 for his outfit he specifically says they are military not government (like the Initiative was). And the Initiative goes much further back than the mid 90s and the FBI agents who take Marcie into custody - it was the 'Demon Research Initiative' who "recruited" Angel to rescue the sub during ww2.

Top Bottom