• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Colorado abolishes slavery

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
For those that didn't know, yes, slavery is still legal in 16 states (and in the US Constitution) however there is one fewer as Tuesday, Colorado voters finally abolished all forms of slavery. I can't locate the other states where slavery is legal but nevertheless, I thought people would be interested in knowing this.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
Prison labor, right? So would inmates in CO not have to work or would they be paid a fair wage?
And its odd how hard it is to find a list on states that have abolished slavery and those that haven't.

Spanky
Spanky
I don't think they need to be paid a fair wage, just a wage. But yes, I think that is what it's about.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
Prison labor, right? So would inmates in CO not have to work or would they be paid a fair wage?
As I understand it, I think it means they will not have to work, although I'm only about 90-ish percent sure (I live in Colorado btw). Some people objected to the amendment because of its possible effect on community service punishments. But back to the issue, part of the punishment of being imprisoned is that you can't participate in community life, so actually earning a real wage might be considered, from a certain point of view, as giving them a benefit they don't deserve(?), so that's why I think the new amendment means only that they wouldn't have to work any more. I'm not completely sure

Last edited:

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I was talking to an ex con the other day. He thinks prisoners should be the people sorting the worlds rubbish. Farmers here simply do not have the time to be sorting into such strict recylcling guidelines,
so, all farm waste ends up buried at the tip. The guy I spoke to was so bored in prison and felt this would be a solution to a few problems. I agree.

As far as I know, prisoners do get a tiny per hour rate here, (savings accounts not allowed, but credit can be used within the prison system). But there was not enough work in the prison for all to be "employed". Considering how many convicts come out and live on welfare the rest of their lives (because they cannot provide police clearance for a job), this sounds like an even better idea and can be used as training for waste disposal careers on the outside. Humans are always going to have waste.

The rise of robots has made room for very many unemployable and bored people.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
that's why I think the new amendment means only that they wouldn't have to work any more. I'm not completely sure
I don't think it's that. I thought prison jobs were pretty much mandatory everywhere; even in the states that have already abolished slavery. I think it's more that they can't be forced to work as a punitive sentence en lieu of prison. I would like to know what it really means and when was the last time someone was actually sentenced to slavery.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
That sounds right

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I'm sorry HoppyHippy but I have to disagree with you on that, the politicians and the churches are totally at fault there. The Catholic church deserves a special mention as they promote a larger population which only help to kill Gods creation - the planet and that in effect affects 70% of Gods creations.
Back in the nineteen seventies, eighties and nineties the politicians said that the increase in robotics and computerisations would mean that people could work less and relax more often. Then the politicians actively wanted more people which mucked up the policy completely. So now there is about 8 billion people on a planet that should only have to support 2 billion at most.

Top Bottom