• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Coming Soon (trailers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasma

Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes! ❤️
Staff member
@thetopher That might be jumping the gun a bit since a fair few people liked Us, even someone who didn't would be hard press to call it bad. I don't seem him ever really producing some of the stinkers M. Night has.

I don’t think he’s the next M. Night, but it does really feel like the story he really wanted to tell was Get Out and everything beyond that has been of subpar quality. At least to myself it sort of feels like he hasn’t lived up to the bar that most people have claimed he set.

Us had a great starting premise that got bogged down in heavy handed and obtuse messaging. Granted, Get Out wasn’t subtle either, but that movie did a lot better job of blending the messaging with the overall plot. Us had a five minute monologue of the villain explaining the theme of the movie.

That Candyman that he was involved with was pretty abysmal, honestly. It’s hard to talk about what that movie does really wrong without getting into the overtly controversial themes at the center of it, but for the sake of not starting an argument, the original handled every one of those themes in a more tasteful, scary, and realistic way than the sequel/soft-reboot did. The worst example has to be a bunch of well-off individuals complaining about something that they are actively participating in (you know what I’m talking about) compared to the first movie showing the effect of that thing in action and how it was negatively impacting the impoverished and affected.

I will grant that he had pretty minimal involvement in the Twilight Zone reboot aside from being the host and doing an episode or two. TV shows that aren’t written by a single showrunner or team of showrunners sort of get a pass here because I can’t judge someone based on another person’s dumb ideas.

I think for a lot of people, Nope is going to be that make or break thing for the public reception of Peele. Either you get a Lady in the Water situation where it’s a negatively received stupid movie that makes no sense and is just an ego-trip or you’re going to get a Sixth Sense situation where it reaffirms that this individual is a talented person who should be praised. I don’t see a lot of middle ground happening with this movie.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I don’t think he’s the next M. Night, but it does really feel like the story he really wanted to tell was Get Out and everything beyond that has been of subpar quality. At least to myself it sort of feels like he hasn’t lived up to the bar that most people have claimed he set.

Us had a great starting premise that got bogged down in heavy handed and obtuse messaging. Granted, Get Out wasn’t subtle either, but that movie did a lot better job of blending the messaging with the overall plot. Us had a five minute monologue of the villain explaining the theme of the movie.

That Candyman that he was involved with was pretty abysmal, honestly. It’s hard to talk about what that movie does really wrong without getting into the overtly controversial themes at the center of it, but for the sake of not starting an argument, the original handled every one of those themes in a more tasteful, scary, and realistic way than the sequel/soft-reboot did. The worst example has to be a bunch of well-off individuals complaining about something that they are actively participating in (you know what I’m talking about) compared to the first movie showing the effect of that thing in action and how it was negatively impacting the impoverished and affected.

I will grant that he had pretty minimal involvement in the Twilight Zone reboot aside from being the host and doing an episode or two. TV shows that aren’t written by a single showrunner or team of showrunners sort of get a pass here because I can’t judge someone based on another person’s dumb ideas.

I think for a lot of people, Nope is going to be that make or break thing for the public reception of Peele. Either you get a Lady in the Water situation where it’s a negatively received stupid movie that makes no sense and is just an ego-trip or you’re going to get a Sixth Sense situation where it reaffirms that this individual is a talented person who should be praised. I don’t see a lot of middle ground happening with this movie.

Well I liked the recent Candyman personally, but he was only I think a co-writer on it so I'm not sure how much blame he deserves for the flaws. Like you said the recent Twilight Zone he only produced so again I'm not blaming him for that. At the moment he's directed one great film and a IMO a very good film which benefits from being quite different to Get Out. So he's got it to lose for me. At the very least I can see him remaining an important voice in horror even if he never makes another film as great as Get Out.
Post automatically merged:

I wouldn't say Us is 'bad', just an incredibly weak follow-up to an iconic debut. It's like M. Night's 'Signs'; it's not awful, it's just a concept that has loads of plot-holes and logic-fails which damage willing suspension of disbelief so we can have 'theme' and 'the message'.

His fronting the new Twilight Zone and his involvement in Lovecraft Country would certainly qualify as pretty poorly received. Those things were garbage.

You didn't like Lovecraft Country? It was probably the best show of that year or in the top three? The Twilight Zone one I can give you, but I don't know on what planet Lovecraft Country was garbage. Even if it wasn't your thing you would have to concede how stylish and original it was. Plus that cast was fantastic. It was the perfect mix of genre and realism.

Last edited:
thetopher
thetopher
The ONLY good parts of Lovecraft Country were the parts lifted wholesale/'appropriated' from Lovecraft himself. :/

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
As far as the Barbie movie goes? I’m predicting a Lego Movie style “they’re just toys but don’t realize it” plot.

I mean, I hate to say it, but nobody comes to Barbie for the plot. 😂
Not so sure given those involved. I mean Gerwig & Baumbach!
I'd be shocked if this was a straight up family friendly official licensed Barbie film.
Just saying. 🤔

Plasma
Plasma
Serial killer who is obsessed with Barbie, maybe? 🤔🤔🤔

Plasma

Staff member
Yeah the Nope gag is gonna stick for awhile isn't it no matter how good the final film is! :D

I can already hear the stupid review titles from publications

“Nope is a big Yes!” if it’s good, “Audiences should say Nope” if it isn’t

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Yeah it could really grate after awhile! At least I made the joke quite early lol
HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
Think I commented 'Nope' on the 1st trailer

Plasma

Staff member
Wow that is a lot sooner than I thought. Have they shown images of (the amazing and fabulous) Death yet?

Also, pretty please with sugar on top Netflix, do not mess this up. Y the Last Man being bad on Hulu was frustrating enough, but a comic that many would consider one of the best ever made has so little margin for error

nightshade
nightshade
Love Death

Mr Trick

Scooby
Wow that is a lot sooner than I thought. Have they shown images of (the amazing and fabulous) Death yet?

Also, pretty please with sugar on top Netflix, do not mess this up. Y the Last Man being bad on Hulu was frustrating enough, but a comic that many would consider one of the best ever made has so little margin for error

Its always interesting to hear from fans of the comics. I've never read them so will check this out as a casual. I hope it delivers for you.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I don't dare get my hopes up, but D&D may actually be putting out a good movie (in both being accurate for the game as well as characters). It's been a mystery why they can't when some of their novels and video games can become top sellers. It uses CGI, but doesn't seem to rely on it lazily the way others do. (Or maybe it's a deceptive trailer. Also, editors who should be sued might cut out relevant parts that allow the movie to make sense.)

I'm mainly sharing here because I not only got some genuine D&D vibes here, but also Firefly:

Mr Trick

Scooby
@nightshade The trailer makes it look like it could be good hammy fun, but it does look a bit iffy in places too. Only time will tell. I will at least give episode 1 a try.

Mr Trick

Scooby

Going to check this out later. Getting Ali Wong at least gives it a bit of an edge. Could be promising?

Plasma

Staff member

Going to check this out later. Getting Ali Wong at least gives it a bit of an edge. Could be promising?

The comic it is based on is very good at least, so it’s worth checking out. It will be interesting to see if they go as nuts with the visuals as the source material does

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
So far I'm enjoying it a lot. I've heard its pretty faithful to the comics.

Mr Trick

Scooby

Saw the 96 film and that was really good. This could be promising too.

Plasma
Plasma
Interested in that Woodstock 99 doc. What a disaster that was

Plasma

Staff member

Hands down the best looking Star Wars show so far. I’m really hoping that this one breaks the mediocrity mold of the other shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom