• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Connor A failure of the actor or the writing ?

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
That's an interesting interview. I'm not entirely surprised to hear about complacency in the 3rd and 4th season. Makes sense with the very hit and miss quality.

Even though Vincent has a good point about painting Connor into a corner maybe he wasn't the right person to be making it. I mean if he didn't like either show and didn't understand the dialogue or characters how was anyone going to trust his judgement.

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
I think Vincent is amazing as Connor. When a scene calls for angst, he delivers angst, when a scene calls for him to mope, he mopes, when a scene calls for tragedy, he soliloquies with the best of them, and when a scene calls for him to be ferocious, he looks downright dangerous, despite his Julia Roberts/Tinkerbell looks. He can also be cheerful and likable when a scene calls for it.

Is there a scene anyone can point to where his performance seems off or lacking?

But the perverse self-indulgent angst fest that is S4 ruins pretty much ever character, so Vincent didn't really stand a chance.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
There was a real sense on Angel that people were just doing a job. The grips, the DP, even the directors would kind of just show up, do their job and go home. On Mad Men, people really love the show and it means something to them.
That seemed the same on Btvs too after about s3. Both are a real contrast to the cast and crew on Agents of Shield, who seem so close and look to have a lot of fun.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I think both. But more so the writing. Though there are good ideas in there which could have worked better with better casting.

Never heard that about Vincent not liking the series before. My guess is it was very early in his career and he just took the part because it was on a network TV show and a chance for his big break.

katmobile

Scooby
I think both. But more so the writing. Though there are good ideas in there which could have worked better with better casting.

Never heard that about Vincent not liking the series before. My guess is it was very early in his career and he just took the part because it was on a network TV show and a chance for his big break.
Which worked out for him as it can't have hindered him getting on Mad Men.

Btvs fan

Scooby

To be fair, most actors don't really care about the shows they're on and do it because it's work. Sounds like he was enthused at first but just doing the same scene over and over again got boring for him.

Which worked out for him as it can't have hindered him getting on Mad Men.
He does make the comparison between how people were on Ats and they were on Men. Though a show in its 4th year that they think is getting cancelled us a different beast to a a fresh new show in its first/second year when this interview was done

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
I don't know that's a sweeping statement. Its probably less true now than it was back then. With TV being so hot right now.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I refer you to the IMDB entry for Riff Regan. Angel was ten to twelve hour days, even if you liked the show, it was still 26 weeks of hell every year. However, the lead was still an ex-soap opera actress, and for most of those actors, that was their biggest break. Remember, most actors barely get past extra, to be offered a leading role on a prime series of some popularity, that's exposure and money.

Top Bottom