• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Connor/Dawn is it weird?

Is a Connor/Dawn romantic pairing weird to you?

• Yes, it would be weird.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • No, it would not be weird.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Yes; but only if Angel and Buffy got back together

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

Mrs Gordo

We fight termites wherever they may roam!
Black Thorn
I am doing some research and need to know what you all think of this pairing. I think I'm having my own inner struggles as to how I feel about them together.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
This was actually quite a popular crossover pairing back in the day. I always liked the idea of the pairing, two lost teenagers helping one another navigate their way through the supernatural world, so yeah, I don't find it weird at all.

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
Yup, lost and in need of a port in the storm, someone who can 'get' the weird that is their lives. Who else can they tell about their reality?

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
This was actually quite a popular crossover pairing back in the day. I always liked the idea of the pairing, two lost teenagers helping one another navigate their way through the supernatural world, so yeah, I don't find it weird at all.
And it wouldn't be weird to you if they got together and Buffy and Angel got together again? Isn't it kind of like step children having a relationship? Which is not wrong in the strictest sense just - weird? I know there was a TV show that did this where the parents got together and the step children also had a relationship but I am drawing a blank.

I'm struggling to figure out if these two relationships could happen in the same space B/A and C/D.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
I know there was a TV show that did this where the parents got together and the step children also had a relationship but I am drawing a blank.
So in Gossip Girl, Dan and Serena were together, then they broke up, then their parents got married, Dan and Serena slept together once as step siblings, then their parents got divorced, then Dan and Serena got married. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of. Anyway I think the step relationship thing is a definite NO. So if Angel and Buffy were together, no Connor and Dawn. In fact, in that case I'd like to see them bond in a sibling way. (Though they'd technically be aunt and nephew) Without a Buffy and Angel pairing, Connor and Dawn would be okay, but I think they wouldn't work. They're both strong on their own, and I could see them losing their independence too much when together. Connor could have that whole overprotective warrior mentality while Dawn could be a little clingy.

BuffyBot22
BuffyBot22
I was about to give this same example!

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
But, I mean, they're not actually related nor do they have any sort of familial relationship to one another, so I don't really see the weirdness. I mean, this is a show where a woman dates two dead guys, I think all normal conventions are out the window on this one.

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
Amen!! Keep it simple. If you can build a trajectory that makes the relationship work, there's no issue who else is dating... they're not related, period.

Fool for Buffy

Sineya
But, I mean, they're not actually related nor do they have any sort of familial relationship to one another, so I don't really see the weirdness. I mean, this is a show where a woman dates two dead guys, I think all normal conventions are out the window on this one.
If my dad is dating my friend's sister, my friend is off limits. Dating dead guys is unconventional yes. But this isn't about being conventional or not. It's just ICKY.

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
If my dad is dating my friend's sister, my friend is off limits. Dating dead guys is unconventional yes. But this isn't about being conventional or not. It's just ICKY.
Ok but what if - you fall for a girl, you are super into her and then your single parents meet each other and hit it off? Do you just decide not to act on that relationship because of your parent's dating?

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
I ... still don't really see the ickiness. I mean, they're not related, they're not even close to being related, they were raised/created in completely difference circumstances and worlds, they didn't grow up together, they're not familiar with each other. Yeah, okay, her sister and his father dated but that was in the past and their lives are so separate by the time Connor and Dawn come along that I don't really see the problem.

Fool for Buffy

Sineya
I ... still don't really see the ickiness. I mean, they're not related, they're not even close to being related, they were raised/created in completely difference circumstances and worlds, they didn't grow up together, they're not familiar with each other. Yeah, okay, her sister and his father dated but that was in the past and their lives are so separate by the time Connor and Dawn come along that I don't really see the problem.
Sorry if I haven't been clear. There is no ickiness unless Angel and Buffy are together at the time. That's what I tried to say in the first post.
Ok but what if - you fall for a girl, you are super into her and then your single parents meet each other and hit it off? Do you just decide not to act on that relationship because of your parent's dating?
Your single parents should respect that you guys were together first. If they don't, you deal with it, but it will get weird. You'd like to say there won't be problems, but that is just not the case. You will feel the ickiness eventually.

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
I don't think there's anything wrong with Connor and Dawn. They could be a good match: supernatural "parents", past existential crisis, impossible birth/existence, moral and loyal characters, both underrated by people around them and not just the fans, funny and sweet, etc.

However, I won't lie and say that Dawn and Connor being together at the same time as Buffy and Angel wouldn't be a little weird or awkward for all involved.

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
I don't think there's anything wrong with Connor and Dawn. They could be a good match: supernatural "parents", past existential crisis, impossible birth/existence, moral and loyal characters, both underrated by people around them and not just the fans, funny and sweet, etc.

However, I won't lie and say that Dawn and Connor being together at the same time as Buffy and Angel wouldn't be a little weird or awkward for all involved.
I'm writing them together right now and I'm finding they do have a great deal in common. And a big part is that "existential crisis" especially as it is expanded upon by someone in college and how we are all trying to find our place in life, I feel like this would be amplified in Connor and Dawn's case.

But I'm wondering how that fits with Angel/Buffy. I don't mind the funny awkwardness of it initially as it could make for a good story but would people be too weirded out by it?

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
But I'm wondering how that fits with Angel/Buffy. I don't mind the funny awkwardness of it initially as it could make for a good story but would people be too weirded out by it?
Like I said earlier, Connor/Dawn used to be quite a popular pairing, so I don't think people would be too weirded out by it.

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
I don't mind the funny awkwardness of it initially as it could make for a good story but would people be too weirded out by it?
Hmm... no, I don't think so. People would be a bit surprised and weird out at first, but I think that would fade fast. The Scoobies got used to Anya and Tara, after all.

Sineya
I always thought the correct pairing for Connor was Rhona. Whining comes naturally to both of them.

The taboo about siblings being together was originally due to the probable passing on of recessive genes that are in some way destructive causing some of the damage we see in royal families where insanity or hemophilia are common or in hillbilly communities where the IQ is lowered by inbreeding. Dawn was genetically similar to Buffy to the extent that their blood could end Glory's dimensional wall breakdown even though 5'3" Buffy and 5'7" Dawn never looked alike (or maybe the blood brotherhood ritual they did of pricking fingers and allowing blood to mix was what actually allowed Buffy to end the interdimensional bleedthrough). Connor was genetically similar to Angel and Darla. There would be no more probability of genetic misfortune than with random people chosen off the street. There may be some legal issues if Buffy and Angel got married that would prevent stepsiblings form marrying each other but there is no sign this is ever going to happen. It would all depend on whether Angel adopted Dawn and Buffy adopted Connor, then they would be from the same family. Otherwise, the law would probably take little notice.

Where the pairing would be weird is the relationships and the fact that Dawn's history was backstopped in a manner that would be the envy of a CIA operative whereas Connor is still a fish out of water - he has no idea about how to get along in the world because he is still used to Quor'toth. Dawn is secure about her place in the world whereas Connor grew up in another dimension where everything was different. and his alliances have had to change. There is no sign that Connor and Dawn knew of each other's existence and no sign that Dawn with her growth and self-discipline would really want anything to do with Connor, someone who always had his identity defined by other people. Besides, she and Xander are an item and that is a pairing grounded in mutual respect and this is why I thought a Dawn/Connor pairing would be weird.

I don't know what I think of this...but I had the strange image in my mind of a lover's spat with Dawn screaming at Connor to get out, get out. So he does by leaping out the second story window with Dawn yelling at him for breaking her window as he runs down the street to find some demons to dismember...not to protect the populace, but so he doesn't carve up Dawn instead. :p

BuffyBot22
BuffyBot22
LOL at this great image you just created for me
Fool for Buffy
Fool for Buffy
Thank you for this :)

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
I use to ship them back in the day but now it's a definite no. I do not think that Connor is what Dawn needs and neither is the opposite. Dawn needs someone that understand her normalness and Connor is anything but normal. I actually really ship Dawn with Xander so that kills it for Dawn and Connor. And yeah the option of Bangel makes it weird for them to be together!

As for Connor, I am still waiting for him to have a good love interest that is not super older than him or is surrogate mother. Maybe a vampire slayer like myself could volunteer!

Sineya
If Buffy/Angel were together romantically it would be kind of odd, because Dawn and Connor would basically be brother and sister. But otherwise it's Bangel 2.0 and could be cute, I think after all the manipulative figures in Connor's life somebody as innocent and normal as Dawn could be refreshing for him.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
Reality really isn't neat. I'm from a family where my grandfather married two sisters. First one died, her kids went to live with grandparents, he came back from university, married the younger sis who'd helped raise his kids... so my mom's brothers are her cousins and all other kinds of confusion. It's life. They loved each other, he raised two families that became one. No one in our family cares, we all get along.

I think Dawn and Connor make logical sense b/c it's not simple finding people who can 'get' that you're the child of two vampires, or that you're a former key to the universe... I've paired them with each and with other people. Just build a viable relationship that isn't facile and all is good.

Top Bottom