• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Connor staying with Fred and Gunn (Deep Down)

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
What is the theory of why he stuck around? The obvious one would be that he needs to make sure Angel doesn't get found and rescued, but he could technically do that from afar. Could it have something to do with not having anyone else and not understanding this world enough to trust making it through it alone? I mean, Holtz died and Justine disappeared, so maybe? What are your guys' reasonings?

@RachM Really interested in your POV here :D

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
I think that Connor has a deep desire for family, normalcy and stability, things which he's missed his whole life. Connor was raised in a hell dimension and while Holtz showed him love, he also trained him as a soldier from a very young age, which included traumatic events such as tying him to a tree and leaving him there to fend off demons and fight his way back home. Holtz also told Connor of his true parentage, the nature of vampires and his own deep hatred for such creatures, which would have instilled a sense of self-loathing in Connor, making him reject that side of him. Add all these factors together, and you have one very messed up and confused kid, who probably longed for a normal family and a sense of stability.

As far as we can see, he receives this from Fred and Gunn. We see that they build up a level of trust, care and affection with Connor, taking him patrolling, fixing him meals and essentially acting as surrogate parents to him. I think that Connor probably initially hung around to ensure that Angel didn't resurface (hehe, pun intended) but then he became attached to the love and comfort which Fred and Gunn provided him and actually became somewhat happy and secure in the home environment they created for him. For the first time ever he was allowed to feel normal, to live in a (relatively) safe environment and to be cared for by people who had no hidden agenda and who treated him well.

When you think about it, it's really sad that this dynamic was dropped so abruptly after the season opener. Gunn and particularly Fred obviously formed affection for Connor during this period and even though they felt betrayed by his actions, in retrospect it's odd that they turned on him so easily after Angel returned. This is a kid whom they spent three months taking care of and formed affection for, yet they up and abandon him and treat him with hostility and suspicion for the rest of the season. Yet another example of Season 4's clumsy writing.

Give Us A Kiss
Give Us A Kiss
How about making a video about Connor ? You are good at making analysis/character development videos.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
Connor probably enjoyed playing the part and he's not so worldly that he'd feel comfortable going off on his own when there's an easier alternative.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Connor is really messed up, so he's probably okay with Gunn, who is a fellow Demon Hunter, after all. Fred, it's strongly suggested that all the male characters had a crush on Fred at some point, even though teenage boys usually aren't interested in mature women. Plus the Hyperion is a pretty cool place to live.

RachM
RachM
There's no indication that Connor had any type of crush on Fred, if anything, he seemed to view her in a familial light.

vampmogs

Potential
Yeah I agree with others that Connor craved family. He appeared to butt heads with Gunn but there was a fatherly element to their relationship as well (Gunn ruffles his hair at one point) and Connor showed affection for Fred as well. He certainly enjoyed her bringing him sandwiches and a drink and it's implied that she did this often as she knew exactly how he liked them.

I also think there's some truth to the matter that Connor was new to this world and definitely preferred the shelter and comforts of the Hyperion than trying to make it out on his own. When he is kicked out he does eventually find a place (Slouching Towards Bethlehem) but initially he is shown sleeping on the streets (Just Rewards).

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I always thought Connor was a bit thick and gullible, particularly with the whole Cordelia stuff. His upbringing, as unpleasant as it might've been, should've given him a bit of common sense because of the whole having to survive kind of thing.

I'm not sure how old the character is supposed to be so it could just be a case that they cast an actor who was older than the character and the writing doesn't match up. Dawn suffered the same problem in her first few episode. She was originally envisioned to be younger before MT was cast hence why she was written that way in the first few episode but because MT clearly isn't a young child, Dawn just looks like a moron incapable of eating ice cream properly.

If Connor is supposed to be 15ish then his behaviour is a bit more understandable although it does get repetitive. However if he's supposed to be older (18+) then he just comes across as a bit of an idiot.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
To be honest it seems like Gunn & Fred were more his parents then anything . And for someone like Conner that meant a whole lot .

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
I always thought Connor was a bit thick and gullible, particularly with the whole Cordelia stuff. His upbringing, as unpleasant as it might've been, should've given him a bit of common sense because of the whole having to survive kind of thing.
Connor's well-versed in facing demons and monsters but his only other human interaction for the majority of his life was with Holtz, so he definitely would not have been equipped to deal with a manipulative Higher Being masquerading as a Hot Chick who shows him compassion and kindness right after he was rejected by his own father. Calling him thick and gullible seems a little harsh, especially given how deliberately and slowly Faux Cordy worked him over. A lot of other people would have been taken in by it too.

I'm not sure how old the character is supposed to be so it could just be a case that they cast an actor who was older than the character and the writing doesn't match up. Dawn suffered the same problem in her first few episode. She was originally envisioned to be younger before MT was cast hence why she was written that way in the first few episode but because MT clearly isn't a young child, Dawn just looks like a moron incapable of eating ice cream properly.

If Connor is supposed to be 15ish then his behaviour is a bit more understandable although it does get repetitive. However if he's supposed to be older (18+) then he just comes across as a bit of an idiot.
I'm pretty sure that Connor is supposed to be about seventeen/eighteen (IIRC when we see him with his new family at the end of the season he's talking about having just graduated from high school). So he's pretty young in the grand schemes of things plus he had an upbringing which prevented normal social development.

ChaseRules

Sineya
True RachM what you said about Conner . He had no unbringing to help him fight against a Higher Being . And when you look at it that was Conner
destiny just like Cordelia was to be taken over by said Higher Being.

Priceless

Scooby
I don't think Connor loved Fred or Gunn. I think he actively despised them and looked down on them. He thought them absolute fools for working with Angel. I think he stayed with them only so he could make sure Angel was not found, I don't think he had any finer feelings for anyone. I don't think he was capable of having those feelings, which is what makes his character heartbreaking. He was raised in a hell dimension by his kidnapper, I don't think he stood a chance of developing emotionally at all.

ChaseRules

Sineya
So you think that why he fell for Cordelia so easy :cool:

white avenger

white avenger
I don't think Connor loved Fred or Gunn.
Add to all the above, Connor simply didn't have anywhere else to go. He was all alone in what was, to him, an alien
world where had no idea how to function without constantly getting into one form of trouble or another. He was surronnded by what he saw as a world full of potential enemies, and his chances of survival were increased by joining some sort of group. He more or less knew Fred, Gunn, and the others, so,,,

why he fell for Cordelia so easy
Pretty much because Cordy was the one who showed the most interest in him except for Angel and she was also the only human female he had ever known. There's a lot to be said for raging teenage hormones here.

Priceless

Scooby
So you think that why he fell for Cordelia so easy :cool:
I don't think Connor ever fell for Cordelia. He wanted to be close to her because he wanted to hurt Angel. He was drawn to her because he was easily manipulated, innocent and drawn to people who wanted to control him, because that's how he was raised. Holtz, Cordy and Jasmine all fitted that bill, brutal, narcissistic and controlling.

ChaseRules

Sineya
Pretty much because Cordy was the one who showed the most interest in him except for Angel and she was also the only human female he had ever known. There's a lot to be said for raging teenage hormones here.

True. Plus Cordy wanted him to be with her so it saved him from freaking out over being with a women & also lets her be inn charge .
I don't think Connor ever fell for Cordelia. He wanted to be close to her because he wanted to hurt Angel. He was drawn to her because he was easily manipulated, innocent and drawn to people who wanted to control him, because that's how he was raised. Holtz, Cordy and Jasmine all fitted that bill, brutal, narcissistic and controlling.
When i said Conner fell for Cordelia i was thinking he fell under her spell . He let her use him as a minnon because he liked that .

Top Bottom