• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Cookie Dough & Others: A BB Cooking Book

So. Let's talk food ^^ I'm especially interested in recipes from all over the world. As long as they don't contain ginger. I absolutely HATE ginger.
Does anyone of you ever cook? Or is it just microwave and takeaway all year round? I personally like to bake. Cookies are my favourite, cos they're easy. Cooking is fun too, I like Italian and Spanish, but it is less fulfilling in a way, because it takes an hour to make something and then in 20 minutes or so, there's nothing left. Whereas with baking, you can enjoy your end product way longer (usually)
Today I made a great full English breakfast (the Dutch way: So no black pudding, cos you can't get that here, and no bangers, but something bratwurst-y) by the way. I'm really proud of myself now. Queen Mum also liked it. He used his Royal power to persuade me to make some for him too :p
Anyway, bring it on!

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
I also dislike ginger!!
R
Ripper666
Great Thread

Lindsey McDonald

Spirit Boy
I like cooking things. Baking is the best, obviously, but I get really sick of eating crap ready meals or whatever. Proper food is good. I even like making risotto, despite the fact it leaves me standing stirring for a good 30mins. And then there's the washing up. -.- But it's still fun, and the food tastes better.

I think I'm being drafted in to do the Christmas Dinner this year, which will be...interesting. It seemed like such a good idea at the time.

K
Kali
ahh you need the oven baked risotto instructions
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
risotto is so hard to right. Even good restaurants can fail at proper risotto.
But how could a person NOT like ginger?!

I don't know, I just hate it. I can taste it even if there's just a tiny bit in a gigantic amount of curry. It's weirdly sweet, and it reminds me of feeling sick. Maybe a trauma from my youth, I don't know. :p

Q
Queen Mum
You probably got drunk on Ginger Ale once :P
C
Clem Rocks
Maybe because Ginger is a well known cure for feeling sick

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
I love to cook! This is something I just found out when I moved to America. I've been cooking alot for my friends, I'm making an Irish stew today:D yum! I'll try out anything, apart from fish cuz...that's disgusting. I love to bake too, I cannot count the amount of times I have made Irish bread over here or an apple tart.

J

JenniferAlice

Actually, I love cooking pasta, that sounds lame because you boil pasta in water to cook it, easy really, but I add rocket, and green pesto, and baby tomatoes and feta cheese, it's amazing.

Actually, I love cooking pasta, that sounds lame because you boil pasta in water to cook it, easy really, but I add rocket, and green pesto, and baby tomatoes and feta cheese, it's amazing.

I can't believe I never thought of that. Really. I like feta cheese, rocket, pesto, pasta and tomatoes. It's been staring me in the face, and I couldn't see it.
I made pizza once, which was an awful lot of fun. The dough is really cool. Cos in the beginning you just have a litlle ball of dough and then you let it rest for some time and then you've got a hell lotta dough :)

Queen Mum

Not bovvered
Irish Stew? *.*
Irish Bread? Oi! *.* I didn't realise, that there was so much to miss about the Irish kitchen. But yes, there is.

I like cooking myself and have become fond of it, ever since I live basically on my own. Nevertheless I enjoy having discovered my royal powers and made use of them, making people cook for me, which is nice. Well I help at least and, well there is nothing wrong of enjoying good food ^^

So, I recently made a Shepperd's Pie for my family, but it's basically too much for one person on his own, so I doubt, I'm going to make it again. That's what I don't like about cooking, is the amount of it. I find it very difficult so much, that it really is just for one person, as any thing more than that is difficult to store, due to lack of fridge space... So, well Shepperd's Pie is great. Well all sorts of pies are great. Baking is fun too and I hope I'll get the lads here in my house motivated for christmas baking ^^

I like to cook everything, except for fish, well if it's not Bordellaise or Sushi, but especially the latter is above my know-how level for the moment. I like Italian, Mexican and German/Bohemian/Austrian kitchen. Well just basically the rural German kitchen is great. It's woah, but it is also time consuming and most of the time it's rather pointless to be made, for just one person. Maybe I should cook for the people in the house some day, but I doubt they are that much into German cooking ^^

@ Cangel, is this an invitation to make Knoedel and stuff for me some day soon? Yes? ^^

Tueuse de Vampires
Tueuse de Vampires
I am!Nothing beats Knödel (and real ones, not those crappy ones in plastic you had the other day), red cabbage and gravy sauce!

Tueuse de Vampires

Love will tear us apart..
I don't really like to cook. Mostly cos I couldn't cook to save my life. And there are actually 2 people here on these Boards who can confirm it (you know who you are ;)).
Like, remember the day before yesterday how I tried doing the caramel (with the first round being burned and the second one too liquid) and burned 3 of my fingers in the process? Or how I tried making mashed potatoes with red cabbage and curry sauce and how that turned out? And how I managed to get a lot of dough out of the bowl while mixing when we were doing the chocolate cake? Oh, I could go on and on here.

Queen Mum

Not bovvered
I don't really like to cook. Mostly cos I couldn't cook to save my life. And there are actually 2 people here on these Boards who can confirm it (you know who you are ;)).
Like, remember the day before yesterday how I tried doing the caramel (with the first round being burned and the second one too liquid) and burned 3 of my fingers in the process? Or how I tried making mashed potatoes with red cabbage and curry sauce and how that turned out? And how I managed to get a lot of dough out of the bowl while mixing when we were doing the chocolate cake? Oh, I could go on and on here.

I approve this message and have to add, that this is basically an understatement, as my clothes give witness to the chocolate cake making thingy, as for some odd reason all the cake dough ended up on my clothes... Cangel should just be banned from kitchens. But I must say, she can wash dishes in a very good way.

:smiliehom

Oh, I nearly forgot, there was this one time, well two days ago, when little Cangel set out to make the caramel thingy, that she managed to glue a perfect set of dishes together. Well One wooden spoon (ALARM for SpoonsAreCool, I mean, how cruel can you get?), a fork ( I don't mind, I hate forks), another spoon (o_O) and euh, oh a pot. And there was also an incident with water and flooding going on, but I only vaguely remember that one, so it mustn't have been too bad after all... well for me. Oh it was hot water. Uhm. Burn in hell *muahaha*

R

randiann

I make the best fudge ever! And Indian tacos (that's what we are having for thanksgiving instead of turkey).

Fudge:
There's a recipie on the back of the marshmallow goo that you can get from wal-mart. It's really yummy. Add pecans to it for extra yum!

Indian taco recipie
Fry Bread (self rising flour and buttermilk)
Hamburger meat
Chili
Pinto Beans
Lettuce
Onion
Tomato
Cheese
Salsa
Sour Cream
Anything else you can think to put on there!

First you have to make the fry bread. You get a deep fryer, fill it with peanut oil, and crank it up. You mix equal parts of buttermilk and flour, being careful not to knead it too much or your bread will be tough. You will be left with a kind of sticky dough. You then make the dough into flat circle pieces of bread; each piece should be about 5-6 inches big. Poke a small hole (about like your finger) in the middle of the bread. Fry dough until it is a golden brown. Cook meat, chili, and beans. Take a piece of bread, pile EVERYTHING on top of it, and get a napkin, cause they are messy! YUM!

You can also sprinkle powdered sugar on the fry bread; it's like a funnel cake, only fluffier!

Other than that, I also make pashofa. It's a type of corn boiled with pork. But it's really hard to find it if you aren't from here, and it takes overnight to make. But it's good too!
OOO, and chicken and dumplings are good too! And fajitas! We had that the other night.

I'm hungry now!

Airam
Airam
yay! Thanks for the recipe!!!

yellowcrayon

Scooby
Ok, I absolutely adore cooking. Especially baking. Planning my reception dinner for my wedding was just lovely. No caterer, just a absolutely AMAZING family friend who went to cooking school in Italy and should someday be sainted. She made enough food for about 100 people (small wedding). And not just chicken fingers and fries - we had beef and chicken, risotto, various veggies, little appetizer things that my brain is fuzzy on (I got a little tipsy last night, ok) but were Italian names for pieces of bread with stuff on top. And she made the two cakes... the lemon pound type cake with raspberries and creme anglaise. And my wedding cake which was absolutely beautiful and delicious - chocolate cake with chocolate ganache between layers and it used Godiva liqueur and it was covered with loverly dark chocolate fondant. That thing was divine, and I am making a smaller version for my birthday. Best. Cake. Ever.

Anyway, I am going to be making an apple pie, a pecan pie, and a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. I will post the recipe for apple pie after I dig it up, it's been in my family for awhile, and it is divine. I might do this chocolate-caramel-pecan pie instead of a regular old pecan pie... we'll see. However I'm lazy and cheap and will cheat on the pumpkin by using a can of pumpkin pie filling... Although to make things right the pastries will be handmade from scratching using that blessing that is known as LARD. *siiigh* Now I'm hungry...

Ripper 08

Life Is Just A Game
i had a really nice recipe for a homemade curry but i lost it which really sucks if i can find it or get hold of it again i'll post it

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I hate cooking. I just had cheese on bread for lunch, that is the extent of my cooking skills :p
Nah I can cook stuff if I have too but since I live on my own too there isnt much point. There's a real easy recipe for a pastry less quiche that's ok for summer visitors, well no one has died yet -
Half a cup of oil
half a cup of self raising flour
6 eggs
cheese and whatever other stuff you want in it (bacon, tomato ect)
put in the oven at 180 degrees celsius for like 30 -40 mins.
Its kinda cakey sometimes but its easy and pretty quick to make.
Oh and remember to grease to cake tin thingo LOL (Im hoping I have remembered it right :p)

E
Edmund Blackadder
Cheese on bread - do you mean a cheese sandwich? or Cheese on toast?

Clem Rocks

Scooby
I can cook crisps, check my old posts for pics...

I mostly just microwave burgers lol

Airam

Zen baby.
Sineya
I'm really not the best cook AT ALL, BUT, lately I've been trying to learn more. I think my favorite is breakfast food, I could eat breakfast for dinner all week long :) There's this thing I learned from my bff's dad a while ago... they called it a "nest egg" but its called different things by different people from what I've learned... most commonly "eggs in a basket"... they look like this:
140523348_e03d8c2da3.jpg

Basically you:
Butter two slices of bread on both sides
Use a small drinking glass (shot glasses work well too) to cut a hole in the middle of the bread. (keep the bread cut outs)
In a large frying pan (non stick pan or butter the pan) place the two slices and their cut outs in the pan... medium high (use discretion depending on how you like your eggs)
You need two eggs which you will break open into the hole of your two slices of bread.
For over medium eggs (how I like mine) cook on medium high on one side for about 3-4 minutes then turn and cook for another 3... use your eye as to how you like your eggs though and how toasted you want your bread to be... but presto thats it... place on plate and enjoy! (I use the two mini circular toast cut outs to dip in the yolk :) )

Thats enough for now, but I have an awesome recipe for Fried Plantains that I'll come back with tomorrow! :)

Tueuse de Vampires
Tueuse de Vampires
lol, in the back of the picture you can see the packing of the eggs...which is labelled in german. I think that's funny, lol.
Bluebird
Bluebird
that looks mega yummy :D
C
Crazy Flakes
Ooh, I used to make those all the time! Yum!
S
SlayersDestiny
Thanks you. I will be making this for lunch today.
SlayerFest
SlayerFest
ughghh I used to eat this all the time...so good
I discovered a nice and very easy cocktail yesterday: basically, we were just looking for something to do with a bottle of vodka. Cangel happened to have a tin of pineapple chunks. So this is what I did:
Pineapple chunks in a longdrink glass. Pour a generous amount of vodka over it, and let the chunks soak for a short time. Add pineapple juice till the glass is almost full, then some cold spring water and icecubes (ours were heart shaped, aah ^^) You can also top it with anything that goes nicely with pineapple. I can imagine you can also do it with raspberries & raspberry juice. The nice thing is that by the time you're finished drinking, the pineapple chunks are soaked in vodka, which tastes nice ^^

Oh, and; Alcohol is bad and vodka can be particulary nasty, don't try this if you're underaged. Obviously.

Airam
Airam
LMAO at the disclaimer.

Sweetescape

Eyeballs to entrails, my sweet.
I love cooking, i can make a few dishes from scratch. My mums been teaching me and she's a very good cook :)
I prefer to make savory dishes as I'm going on sweet food!
my favorite is macaroni cheese yum :) and home made curry!!

yellowcrayon

Scooby
Last night we had pasta... it was very good. :) I made an alfredo sauce from scratch, it's *way* simple.

For two people, I used half of a regular sized carton of heavy cream, and dumped in a bunch of shredded parmesan cheese to taste. I stirred this on low/medium-low so it would thicken, and added about a tablespoon of butter and a little bit of flour to help with the thickness. I then added some garlic powder, onion powder, oregano (parsley's good too), salt and pepper to taste. Stirred it with a whisk until it was cooked through and thick enough. I also added some pieces of imitation crab meat (we had that on hand, I've done this before with shrimp, it's great). Made some rotini, dumped the pasta on the plate, spooned alfredo sauce over it. Quick and easy, probably takes about 15 minutes overall to cook. :)

Top Bottom