• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Cookie Dough & Others: A BB Cooking Book

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
From Food-Fiction

Mr. Pointies
upload_2015-11-8_15-9-50.png
Ingredients:
1/2 Package Mini Cow Tail Caramel Candies OR Caramel Cubes, unwrapped
1 Package Chocolate CandiQuick
Strawberry Syrup (optional)

Important Items:
Toothpicks
Parchment Paper
Kitchen Scissors

Directions:
1. Stretch & twist the caramel candies until they are about 2 1/2" long x at least 3/8" diameter (the cow tails are great because they are almost this size already). Stick a toothpick in one end of each of the pieces, leaving enough of the toothpick sticking out so you can hold on to it, & then place the candies on a large sheet of parchment paper.
2. Melt your CandiQuick according to package directions & pour it into a tall cup. Holding the caramel candies by the toothpicks, dip one at a time into the melt, gently tapping it to let the excess fall into the cup, & then lay the candies back onto the parchment. After dipping a few, drag a toothpick diagonally across their surface several times to create a little bit of a wood look. Continue dipping & marking with the toothpick until all of your candies are on the parchment. Let them harden completely.
3. Pick up a coated candy by its toothpick & hold it out horizontally. Use the kitchen scissors to cut around the non-toothpick end at a diagonal, creating the look of the sharpened point of a stake. Also cut away any excess chocolate from the sides of the candy that may have spread out while it was on the parchment just after dipping. Place the completed candy stake onto your serving dish & remove the toothpick. Serve with optional strawberry syrup.

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
Amber Benson's Vegetable Tofu Stir Fry with Peanut Dipping Sauce

Vegetable Tofu Stir Fry

3/4 lb firm-style tofu 375g
1/4 cup rice wine (mirin) 50ml
1/4 cup soy sauce 50ml
2 tbsp vegetable oil 25ml
1 onion, chopped 1
2 cloves garlic, minced 2
2 tbsp grated fresh gingerroot 25ml
1 cup sliced mushrooms 250ml
1 carrot, cut in thin strips 1
2 cups broccoli florets 500ml
2 green onions, sliced 2
1 cup vegetable stock 250ml
2 tbsp oyster sauce (optional) 25ml
2 tbsp hoisin sauce 25ml
1 tbsp cornstarch 1
cooked rice or noodles
1/2 cup chopped cashews 125ml
1 sweet red pepper, cut in thin strips

Cut tofu into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces. In bowl, combine rice wine and soy sauce. Add tofu pieces and marinate for 20 to 30 minutes or while preparing remaining ingredients.

In wok or large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and gingerroot. Stir-fry approximately one minute. Add mushrooms, carrot, red pepper, broccoli and green onions. Stir-fry for about two minutes. In a small bowl, mix vegetable stock, oyster sauce (if using), hoisin sauce and cornstarch. Stir until well-blended. Add, along with the marinade from the tofu, to vegetable mixture. Cook, stirring constantly approximately one minute or until mixture has thickened. Gently fold in tofu and simmer one minute or until tofu is heated through. (Tofu tends to become "scrambled" if stirred too vigorously.)

Serve over rice or noodles, garnished with chopped cashews. Makes 4 servings. Per serving: 377 calories, 23 g protein, 23 g fat, 26 g carbohydrate.

Peanut Dipping Sauce

1 tsp vegetable or peanut oil 5ml
1 small onion, finely chopped 1
2 cloves garlic, minced 2
1 dried red chili pepper, crushed 1
1 tbsp rice vinegar 15ml
1 tbsp granulated sugar 15ml
2 tsp lime juice 10ml
1/2 cup coconut milk* 125ml
1/3 cup peanut butter 75ml
Garnish with chopped coriander (optional)

Heat oil in small saucepan. Sauté onion, garlic and crushed chili pepper over low heat until onion is cooked. Add vinegar, sugar, lime juice, coconut milk and peanut butter. Simmer, stirring constantly until well-blended. Remove from heat and serve warm or at room temperature. Just before serving, garnish with chopped coriander (cilantro). Delicious served with deep-fried tofu. Add peanut sauce to a bowl of rice or noodles for a meal.

Serves 6. Per serving: 145 calories, 4 g protein, 12 g fat, 8 g carbohydrate.

*When coconut milk is not readily available, a good substitute can be prepared with coconut and cream. Simply mix 1 cup (250 ml) light cream or table cream with 2/3 cup (150 ml) unsweetened desiccated or shredded coconut and bring to a boil on the stovetop or in the microwave. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes, then pour "coconut milk" through a sieve.

Originally from TV Guide

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
David Boreanaz' Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwich

While David Boreanaz lived in Philadelphia, his favourite sandwich was the Philadelphia cheese steaks. He says the best place to get them was a place called Jim's. "Those were the absolute best."

4 large crusty rolls
1lb boneless sirloin steak 500g
2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided 25ml
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 each, red and green pepper,
cut into thin strips, salt and hot pepper sauce to taste
1 cup provolone, mozzarella or cheddar cheese, shredded 250 ml

Cut the rolls in half; grill or broil cut sides until toasted.

Wrap in foil and keep in warm oven.

Slice beef into thin strips across the grain for maximum tenderness, about 1/4 inch (5 mm) or thinner. Meat will be easier to slice if partially frozen for about 1 hour beforehand. In large skillet or wok, heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil over high heat; stir-fry beef for about 2 minutes, or until meat is just browned. Transfer to plate.

Add remaining oil to skillet; cook onions and red and green pepper strips, stirring often for 4 to 5 minutes or until onions are softened. Return beef to skillet to reheat, tossing to mix well. Season to taste with salt and hot pepper sauce.

Divide mixture among the bottom halves of rolls. Top with cheese and return to oven to melt cheese. Cover with top halves of rolls, press together gently and serve hot. Makes 4 servings. Per serving: 545 calories, 43 g protein, 22.5 g fat, 42 g carbohydrate.

Classic Russian Dressing

1/4 cup mayonnaise (50 ml)
1 tbsp chili sauce or ketchup (15ml)
1 tbsp green onion, finely chopped (15ml)
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (2ml)

Originally from TV Guide

brinkster130
brinkster130
Now I'm craving a philly cheese steak.
Black Thorn
I'll share a very simple but delicious vegetarian dish here. Zero meat, zero fat, zero guilt.

1 large eggplant, peeled
1 jalapeno, seeded
0.5 teaspoon of salt, or to taste

1. Chop the eggplant into 2 inch cubes
2. Slice the jalapeno
3. Use a large dish plate to hold the mixture of eggplant and jalapeno
4. Fill the pot with 2 inch of water, high-heat until boiling.
5. Place the steaming insert into the pot the dish plate upon the steaming insert
6. Close the lid, keep the heat level at high, and steam for 10 minutes
7. Put the mixture in the blender/food processor, add salt, then start blending for 30 seconds.
8. Serve.

Calories: about 150.

Spanky
Spanky
I knew I should have gotten that eggplant to the store today!

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Has anyone given a recipe for a layer cake that specifies a certain number of layers.
That the certain number of layers is stated as having an alphabetical number of layers? If so, instead of it being stated as either 'A' layers or 'B' layers, has anyone written it as an 'S' layers cake?

Black Thorn
Simple yet delicious vegetable dish II:

1 lbs of Brussels Sprouts
1 tbsp of salted butter
1 tbsp of red wine vinegar, or to taste

1. Cut each Brussels Sprout in half vertically.
2. Put the butter in a medium bowl and microwave (high) for 30 seconds. If it's not fully melted, stir it in advance until it's in a semi-liquid state.
3. Toss the Brussels Sprouts in the medium bowl until they are equally covered with butter.
4. Turn the medium bowl on a large bowl. Make sure all Brussels Sprounts are enclosed between two bowls.
5. Microwave (high) for 6 minutes. This is the lowest limit. If you like tenderer ones make it 7-8 minutes.
6. Mix the Brussels Sprouts and the red wine vinegar.
7. Serve.

Calories: about 270.

brinkster130
brinkster130
Yum! I love Brussels Sprouts.
Black Thorn
3 eggs
2 large tomatoes, with the connecting parts from their original twigs cleanly removed
1 tbsp of canola oil
0.5 teaspoon of salt

1. Put the eggs and salt into a large bowl, beat until the yolk and white are evenly mixed.
2. Chop each tomato into 8 pieces.
3. Heat the oil with a pan at medium power.
4. Scramble the egg mixture in the pan until it turns into the solid state. Don't cook further unless you enjoy firm and dry eggs.
5. Put the scrambled eggs back to the bowl.
6. Keep the medium heat, cook the tomato slices until they are soft.
7. Add eggs, constantly fold the mixture.
8. When the tomato juice becomes thick (about 3-4 minutes), serve.

Calories: about 400.

Black Thorn
Cabbage custard

Savory Cabbage, Onion and Parsnip Custard

1 medium head cabbage, cored and cut into thin strips

1 medium onion, finely chopped

2 cup parsnip, chopped

2 cups cooked millet

¼ cup olive oil

16 oz cottage cheese

2 eggs

1 tbsp dried dill

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions: Wash parsnips well and chop into small pieces. Cook in boiling salted water for 15 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool. In the meantime, toss cabbage in a bowl with salt to taste and let sit for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 375° F. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes, then add a generous pinch of salt and turn the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft and beginning to color, about 10 minutes. Add the cabbage, turn the heat to medium, and cook, stirring often, until the cabbage is quite tender and fragrant, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the dill, taste and adjust salt, and add pepper to taste. Transfer to a large bowl.

In a food process or blender, combine 1½ cups of the cottage cheese, puree until mixture is smooth. Add the eggs and cooked parsnip, pulse until smooth. Add salt and pepper, pulse to mix and taste for desired seasoning. Add the puree and ½ cup remaining cottage cheese to the cabbage mixture and stir well. Pour mixture into an oiled cast iron pan. Drizzle remaining olive oil on top before placing pan in the oven. Bake for ~40 minutes or until top and sides are golden brown. Remove pan from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.

@GwenRaiden I don't know why I had seen your name and "cabbage custard" in the same posts on this forum several times, but I think I should mention you.:oops:

GwenRaiden
GwenRaiden
Lawl, I think ILLYRIAN has been trying to be me to make and feed the feral girlchild cabbage custard. I have no excuses now since you've provided the recipe!
I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited for fall and fall always makes me want to watch Buffy and Gilmore Girls and bake pumpkin cookies.

These are my favorite fall treat!
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease baking sheets.

COMBINE flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in medium bowl. Beat sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until well blended. Beat in pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets.

BAKE for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

These things are fantastic and whenever I share them people go nuts for them.

If you end up making some let me know what you think!

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
I know, I live under an uncivilized-anti-pumpkin regime;) To be fair, pumpkins didn't even really become a thing here until about ten-fifteen years ago. We'll probably catch up to canned pumpkins eventually!

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
If you know someone who thinks Canned Pumpkin is a silly idea, give them some canned laughter as well.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Does anyone have any flavours used for sausage rolls, I have about 80 at present. (that is flavours used not used flavours)

Information for making canned Pumpkin - peel the pumpkin then place on an empty can and hit with a hammer until the can is full; screw top cans are recommended if you want to keep them for a month or three.

GwenRaiden:
Has the little mogwoppit ever been asked (forced) to taste the delights of Cabbage Custard on Haggis?

Nix

Evil Nix
Sineya
Oaty Pancakes

Makes 2 or 3 pancakes

35g rolled oats
2 beaten eggs
3 tsp sweetener
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp of greek yogurt (I use coconut and vanilla from aldi)
1tsp baking powder

Mix all ingredients until consistency of extra thick cream.Spray a frying pan with frylight (or another brand) pour on mixture till the size you want/or quantity and cook until they are golden brown with air bubbles! Really nice as is or treat the same as any other sweet pancake.

Angelic Slayer

Daydream Believer
Sineya
Lately I've discovered fish cakes as a quick, reasonably healthy meal. My personal faves are Tuna with Curry Paste (seriously, so good!!) but here's my recipe for the plain Salmon ones.

If you want to be awesome and try the curry ones, it's the same recipe but with Tuna (instead of Salmon) and Curry Paste (in place of the spices).

Salmon Cakes
Makes 4 cakes (enough for 2 people)

1 can boneless, skinless salmon (drained)
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
4 tbsp dairy free mayo (or 1 egg)
2 tsp Club House salmon seasoning
1/2 tsp dill
Pinch of salt, pepper, lemon juice

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, shape into 4 equal patties and put onto a covered plate. Chill 10min to help them hold shape.

Heat frypan over medium heat and add few tbsp of vegetable oil. Fry cakes, 3-5 min per side (or until golden brown).

Serve with rice/quinoa and vegetables.

From Food-Fiction

Mr. Pointies
View attachment 6287
Ingredients:
1/2 Package Mini Cow Tail Caramel Candies OR Caramel Cubes, unwrapped
1 Package Chocolate CandiQuick
Strawberry Syrup (optional)

Important Items:
Toothpicks
Parchment Paper
Kitchen Scissors

Directions:
Stretch & twist the caramel candies until they are about 2 1/2" long x at least 3/8" diameter (the cow tails are great because they are almost this size already). Stick a toothpick in one end of each of the pieces, leaving enough of the toothpick sticking out so you can hold on to it, & then place the candies on a large sheet of parchment paper.
2. Melt your CandiQuick according to package directions & pour it into a tall cup. Holding the caramel candies by the toothpicks, dip one at a time into the melt, gently tapping it to let the excess fall into the cup, & then lay the candies back onto the parchment. After dipping a few, drag a toothpick diagonally across their surface several times to create a little bit of a wood look. Continue dipping & marking with the toothpick until all of your candies are on the parchment. Let them harden completely.
3. Pick up a coated candy by its toothpick & hold it out horizontally. Use the kitchen scissors to cut around the non-toothpick end at a diagonal, creating the look of the sharpened point of a stake. Also cut away any excess chocolate from the sides of the candy that may have spread out while it was on the parchment just after dipping. Place the completed candy stake onto your serving dish & remove the toothpick. Serve with optional strawberry syrup.

Those look GOOOD.

Angelic Slayer

Daydream Believer
Sineya
I made my family cheeseball recipe for New Year's and have to share!! It's a chip dip recipe that's so easy, but so good. Our guests ate it for breakfast the next day, they liked it so much ;) :D

Mexican Cheeseball Recipe

2 x 250g Cream Cheese, softened slightly (that's two blocks)
500g Cottage Cheese (one tub)
1 package of your favorite Taco Seasoning mix

Line a cereal bowl, or two smaller dishes, with plastic wrap.

Using an electric mixer, combine all three ingredients until blended. Pour into dishes, cover and refrigerate overnight (it has to sit that long, to taste right and set properly).

The next day, flip your dishes upside down onto a plate to release the dip!

Garnish with tomato, green onion, lettuce (or just about anything else you'd put in a taco).

Serve with tortilla chips, for dipping!

Nix

Evil Nix
Sineya
A "you can't go wrong" cakes recipe.

For approx 12 cakes.

1) Weigh 3 large eggs (Should be around 200g)
2) Weigh out the same weight in flour, then sugar and then soft butter (or margarine/spread) and one bottle cap of vanilla essence/flavouring (use the cap of the little bottles of this).
3) Mix together in no order!!! When soft with no lumps put equal amounts into each cake case in the cake tray for 12 cakes.
4) Cook on gas mark 6 or 200c for 15 to 20 mins approximately or until golden and you can pop a cake tester/knife or fork into the cakes and the instrument comes out clean.
5) Then they are ready to come out and cooled down enough to stuff your face when they are still warm (which is great) or let them get cold to decorate however you want to.

Top Bottom