• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Cordelia and Dennis

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
What do you think of the relationship between Cordelia and Dennis?

white avenger

white avenger
Kinda sweet in a creepy sort of way. Here's Dennis, ghost of the murdered son of an abusive mother, trapped in an apartment occupied by an attractive, single, young woman. (That's the creepy part) She knows that he is there, even considers him a friend, and he is protective of her to the point that he won't let Angel into the apartment until Cordy assures him that Angel is a good vampire. He's invisible, and apparently mute, but corporeal enough to pour her drinks and scrub her back when she takes a bath. Maybe he even cleans up and does the cooking. (That's the sweet part) Sort of the Whedonverse take on "The Ghost And Mrs Muir," except that she can't see him.

Has anyone ever wondered what happened to Dennis when Cordy moved into the hotel with Angel and the rest of the team? Is the poor guy still haunting that apartment, waiting for Cordy's return, or did he go wherever good ghosts finally go when they have been here long enough?

(Maybe, once she became a Higher Being, Cordy was able to release him from his curse)

thrasherpix

Scooby
Now I'm suddenly concerned for him.

Though I'd pay to have them insert a scene somewhere in season 1 or 2 where Wes catches Cordelia reading upon on if ghost sex can impregnate you....though poor Dennis if he heard her say "it doesn't count if he doesn't have a body."

I do hoped he got released into Heaven...maybe one of those "episodes too boring to watch" so we didn't get to see it. It still would've been nice to mention it, though.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I recall him being mentioned last in Season 4. I mean, Ghosts only stick around if they have unfinished business. His Mother was in Hell, clearly, so Cordie was the only reason he stuck around. With her gone, maybe he was able to find peace. But yes, if they can find the time in Season 5 to mention that Willow and Kennedy are still dating, then Phantom Dennis should have been resolved. My head-canon is, Angel kept in touch with the Church seen in "I've Got You Under My Skin," and made sure that spiritual matters and lost souls not requiring fisticuffs got referred to them.

Octavia
Octavia
cute head canon!

telperion66

Potential
I liked Dennis as a supporting character, especially for Cordy and for the characters who got to have subtle little interactions with him, particularly in season one.

I recall when Cordy brought Wilson over for their date, and Dennis comforting Angel at Cordy's party as notable high points involving Dennis.

Also, we got the pretty cool 'Rm w/a Vu' episode centred around him when Doyle was still around, so that was really cool!

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I wonder how Cordelia got so comfortable with having a ghost around that so invited him to the bathroom when she was bathing? Obviously she couldn't stop him watching, but he did wash her back

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I wonder how Cordelia got so comfortable with having a ghost around that so invited him to the bathroom when she was bathing? Obviously she couldn't stop him watching, but he did wash her back
Maybe she was feeling so crap from the pain of the vision she didn't care he was there. It was just someone to help her.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I remember some quote from Cordelia that other than Dennis being a master with a loofah brush, she had no male contact at all. Sort of like the NCIS format - show beautiful people who can't get a date due to the business they are in and the hours they spend. This is very effective for the viewer who thinks, maybe I wouldn't be any better off if I looked like her (him).

Taake

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Staff member
Black Thorn
I always thought it was very sweet, but upon closer reflection it is...pretty creepy I guess. But I always loved when we got to "see" Dennis, and he seemed like great emotional support for Cordy. It makes me really sad to think that he would've just kept haunting that apartment after she was gone.

Maybe she saw him as harmless? Like, above human needs and just as a kind of… friend/helper?

I wish I had a Dennis.
You say that now, but when he plays tag with the cat at 3 a.m. because they're both unholy creatures who need no sleep at night, it might be a different story. :p

famicommander

Townie
Just another loose end.

The way Cordelia was handled in the last two seasons was such a shame. She deserved better, and so did the characters associated with her. Dennis and Groo especially. At least Harmony finally got her chance to shine in Angel S5.

Top Bottom