• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Cordelia and her feelings for Doyle

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I don't know if a Cordelia and Doyle relationship would've worked out long term. Cordelia had grown up being accustomed to a certain standard that Doyle would've struggled to meet. Xander was Cordy "roughing it" and she got burned badly as a result when Xander cheated on her after she sacrificed her social status to be with him. Although Cordy was experiencing hard times when Doyle was about, she always expected things to get better once she got her "big break". Doyle could've been seen as holding her back either by himself or by Cordelia (though she wouldn't voice that thought).

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I don't know if a Cordelia and Doyle relationship would've worked out long term. Cordelia had grown up being accustomed to a certain standard that Doyle would've struggled to meet. Xander was Cordy "roughing it" and she got burned badly as a result when Xander cheated on her after she sacrificed her social status to be with him. Although Cordy was experiencing hard times when Doyle was about, she always expected things to get better once she got her "big break". Doyle could've been seen as holding her back either by himself or by Cordelia (though she wouldn't voice that thought).
Of course, that right there is why I wanted to see it; would've made for an interesting arc, imo :)

Myheadsgonenumb

Potential
I don't know if a Cordelia and Doyle relationship would've worked out long term.
They're in the Whedonverse - I think that tells you all you need to know. :D Frankly, I think they got off very lightly with him dying before it even got started. But if they were real people (ridiculous conjecture I know) I think they would have had an above average chance at something lasting out of all the couples in the Buffyverse. They were out of school - so at an age where they were looking for something more lasting to begin with, they started as friends - it was a relationship based on enjoyment of each other's company, valuing each other as people, making each other laugh and recognising strengths and weaknesses. It wasn't based on lust and melodrama. Cordelia never did get that big break - so it would never have got to the 'him holding her back' stage. They could have lived very happily together doing nothing particularly exciting for the next 50+ years ... no way was Joss ever going to let that into one of his shows! Which is why, if Doyle had stuck around, they would have eventually fallen victim to a plot device to add melodrama rather than a natural progression of character- which would have been really frustrating and upsetting for me as a shipper. Whereas what we get is pretty much perfect.

Top Bottom