• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Cordelia Chase - What could have been...

EarthLogic

"she went as limp as an overcooked piece of pasta"
Black Thorn
Let's for a moment imagine a world where Joss has his head screwed on properly. How do you think Cordelia's arc from Season 3 onwards could have gone if:

A) They'd never tried to force Cangel on us.
AND/OR
B) Joss had somehow been able to stick to his original plan despite Charisma Carpenter's pregnancy
OR
C) He had come up with an entirely new story arc

And how could these have been done in a way that didn't completely annihilate her character?

Last edited:

Spanky

Sir Spanks-a-lot
Black Thorn
but... but... if all those things happened we would have never had the splendor of Condelia! Don't make me break out my old banner!

Though I would have love to have seen a really formidable Cordy as a big bad and Angel have to kill her. It would have been the reverse of Buffy/Angel/Angelus though. I mean, the same beats almost entirely.

caitaintdead
caitaintdead
Please. Conelia > Bile

EarthLogic

"she went as limp as an overcooked piece of pasta"
Black Thorn
but... but... if all those things happened we would have never had the splendor of Condelia! Don't make me break out my old banner.
We would have never had to watch her character be completely decimated too! Hence my edit of the original question.

Though I would have love to have seen a really formidable Cordy as a big bad and Angel have to kill her. It would have been the reverse of Buffy/Angel/Angelus though. I mean, the same beats almost entirely.
Yeah that's why I'm not keen on that storyline either unless it was written as the culmination of a platonic rather than romantic Cordy/Angel relationship, which may have ended up mirroring S6 Willow instead. Though even then it would be iffy. I'm not keen on a story which is just a rehashing of BtVS plotlines (though I know its a Whedon trademark anyway). The beats would have to be meaningfully different.

Last edited:

Spanky

Sir Spanks-a-lot
Black Thorn
Yeah that's why I'm not keen on that storyline either unless it was written as the culmination of a platonic rather than romantic Cordy/Angel relationship, which may have ended up mirroring S6 Willow instead. Though even then it would be iffy. I'm not keen on a story which is just a rehashing of BtVS plotlines (though I know its a Whedon trademark anyway). The beats would have to be meaningfully different.
If Whedon were not involved I would have liked the idea more. Turn Cordy into a Lindsey type character, where she's not just a one season villain but hangs around being naughty and disruptive. She could have been the Moriarty to Angel's Holmes.

@caitaintdead " Please. Conelia > Bile"
Well, duh. Of course Condelia is greater than bile! Hell, even S6&7 version of Spuffy is greater than bile.

caitaintdead
caitaintdead
Hehe did you like my deliberate word play on Biles?! Aren't I clever?

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
Why did Cordy have to turn evil? I would have liked her story kept simple and she sacrifices herself for the greater good. No choice about being half demon - that storyline just fizzled into a fat nothing. I think she should have had a choice between keeping the visions and helping bring Connor back from Quor'toth or losing the visions which would mean Angel loses his connection to the PTB and ultimately losing Connor. When faced with the choice Cordelia immediately chooses Connor, knowing that it would cause her death shortly after. A heroes ending for a hero. Bonus here is that we may have been spared the awfulness of teen Connor! Lorne would have fulfilled a role as babysitter and all would be right in the world.

Spanky
Spanky
Oh snap!! You get the cookie. I didn't even get it. I was just thinking about the taste of bile in the mouth. Well played. Nice to know you haven't drunk away all your little brain cells.

Spanky

Sir Spanks-a-lot
Black Thorn
Lorne would have fulfilled a role as babysitter and all would be right in the world.
Oh yeah, because nothing screams well-adjusted teen like a Lorne babysitter. Connor would be better off with Holtz than Lorne.

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
Oh yeah, because nothing screams well-adjusted teen like a Lorne babysitter. Connor would be better off with Holtz than Lorne.

Mr. Pole: Oh snap!! You get the cookie. I didn't even get it. I was just thinking about the taste of bile in the mouth. Well played. Nice to know you haven't drunk away all your little brain cells.
If anything bartending increases my mad bantz skillz. In the biz we say mad bantz instead of banter cause we are cool.

What you got against a jolly green gay daddy figure? I think he would be a ball to have as a crazy Uncle.

Spanky
Spanky
It's if I WERE your bartender.
Sineya
I wonder how far along the screenplays were when Charisma told Joss about the pregnancy? If he had already committed on the order of $100,000 for each screenplay, it would be money down the drain but the direction he chose to take it damaged the show. It could have been handled in real time instead of the usual pregnant one week, a mother the next (or even the same episode as happened in Season 1) but Joss did not object to pregnancy if it could be over with quickly. Cordy could have taken maternity leave from AI and been back for Season 5 or she could have been on the sidelines getting more impatient about not having anything to do with AI and coming back only to get killed by a demon. There was no need for the degradation of Condelia.

Why couldn't they just hide her belly? Give her some oversize, flowy tops-- keep her behind the desk or the counter... and we never would have had to deal with pregnant "Cordelia" of Season 4. I personally love the Jasmine arc but hate pregnant, possessed Cordelia and that not only was her character so off that year but she just goes into a coma at the end of it?! That was really the worst part of it because she wasn't even redeemed; one S5 episode hardly counts, even if it is a great episode. Her being creepy and evil the entire season wouldn't have been as bad to me if she came out of it by the end of the season. That's all I would have really changed in regards to Cordy getting the visions, keeping the visions, ascending to the higher plane, sleeping with Connor etc.... I know sleeping with Connor is disturbing but it was a necessary evil for Jasmine to arrive.

Slayrunt

Oh ho! Aren’t you Mr. Dicey Semantics?
i hate thinking of what happened to Cordy, it hurts so badly. I really hate Joss for what he did to her.

MarieVampSlayer

Slayer musk: It's bitter and aggravating!
Sineya
I just finished my season 3 re-watch so my opinions are very clear on this:

First, I am actually not against Cangel but please do it better! Please keep Cordelia as she was in S2 and still have Angel fall for her. She doesn't need to change to be loved. Also, don't make them clueless about their mutual feelings. Maybe have them acknowledge that they loved each others but try to remain friends because of the curse. Then, when Connor gets kidnap they really don't need to stay away from each other because Angel can never be truely happy without his son. Make Cangel a mature, passionate and respectful kinda love. Cordelia could still ascend to the PTB and have the difficult decision to leave Angel behide.

As for S4, obviously I would remove the pregnancy thing as it was done before and better with Darla. I hate that Cordelia had to become evil, I don't think it added anything to the story and Cordelia would have been better to progress with the AI. What would have been interesting to see:

- Cordelia comes back from the PTB place and has lost her memory. Connor helps her and they develop a family bonding. Angel finds it hard to stay away from Cordy because they have been together in S3 and now they have to start their relationship from scratch.
- Jasmine doesn't possess Cordelia but she did bring her in L.A. when she got back from the PTB place. Jasmine did plan Cordelia to be her vessel but only to bring her on earth. You can keep the Jasmine/Beast storyline but maybe Jasmine needs time to have her full power on earth and the beast helps her. She could seduce Connor and decive him so that Home can happen. Maybe, he decides to join her after Angelus is release and he sees the monster his father was.
- Since Cordelia has lost her memory, she doesn't object to work with W&H. She could get her memory back when everyone remembers Connor in S5.

Ok now I wish this was canon...:(