• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Cordelia

Tonyboggs

Townie
It's been awhile since I've watched either Buffy or Angel. In Angel I found Cordelia's evolution fascinating. She started out as a two dimensional character in Buffy and slowly developed character. Then in Angel she truly blossomed. I never would have imagined that Angel and Cordelia would have fallin in love.

Black Thorn
Well I never liked Cordelia because she was ungrateful and rude. I liked her in Angel season 1 but her change in personality was too drastic for me to enjoy her character in the other seasons.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I'd just like to point out that Cordelia had surprising depth or sensitivity at times in Buffy. Someone who labels herself a Queen Bitch never would've let (Vampire) Willow out of a cage when she was the one knowingly cheating with her boyfriend (which Cordelia may assumed, possibly at least partially right, that it was a passive aggressive act against her personally, even before knowing that "Willow is a lesbian" which makes Willow look even worse here had Cordelia known that). Let alone suddenly go soft and say "of course" to Buffy who tearfully asks for a ride home (before she returns to her brain dead act) in Helpless. Or bluff a vampire to save Buffy (as opposed to running like most people would) when they were in such a heated, some would say vicious, competition for the title of Homecoming Queen.

These moments, and I know there are others like them (already, her stopping the car to shout at Jenny and Willow to get in away from the vampires comes to mind, as well as even helping to kill the Bug Guy assassin), made me intrigued with the character and why she was the way she was...and very curious to see what she was alike alone (after having her heart broken by Xander doesn't count, though that's at least something).

In Angel she was fine for at least the first 2 seasons. Even when she helped Angel, I could see how she was being self-serving in part by making sure she had a place to stay and food to eat while she continued to pursue her actual goal (and gave Angel grief when he interfered with that in even trivial ways), and even arranged for Angel's mission to personally help her aspirations. So that was the Cordelia I knew from Buffy. At the end of season 1 when she's tormented by those visions until she went into some coma-induced shock or catatonia, I really could see how that would turn her around and make her more sincerely caring (without making her a saint in the process).

So I liked her on both, from Buffy season 1 through Angel season 2 at least. (Though I liked her as a foil as well, and rarely felt bad for her when the gang--including Xander--verbally tore into her.)

And just for the record, I have my share (perhaps more than my share) of mean girl stories from school and worse. While at first glance she was one of Them, I began to see there was more to her than that by the end of Prophecy Girl (and also the beginning of season 2 where she has that talk with Buffy who says mean things to her but Cordelia seems actually concerned for her) so I stopped seeing her as that and as someone who beat them at their own gain, but at great personal cost that she would one day have to break away from, along with her persona that came with it (and slowly did).

Last edited:

WillowFromBuffy

Buffering...
I love Cordelia on BtVS. On AtS, it is like they got bored with her and tossed her aside. It's a travesty, is what it is.

Cohen

Warrior
My theory is every time Charisma got a new haircut they decided Cordy had to have a different personality. The creepy early-00s mom hair of season late 3/4 was totally Jasmine’s doing, though, as evidenced by real Cordy’s reaction to it in Spin the Bottle. I feel like the writers forgot the core Cordy in order to make her seem “grown”. I would argue from “Birthday” on, Jasmine had dug her roots into Cordy, which accounts for the personality shift. Before then, she was still pretty snarky. It was only at that point that she became “Saint Cordy”.

Stephan

It's a great show. But no need to get all riled up
I think it was a good decision to move her. She was detestable in BtVS, but in AtS we got to explore other side of her. Besides, I'm a Cangel fan.

Last edited:

DagonSphere

Potential
I don't think she was detestable in BtVS, maybe the first few episodes, but she already gradually evolved on BtVS, there is a big difference between the Cordy in the pilot vs. Cordy in Graduation Day. Buffy/Angel did such a good job at making her increasingly more likeable and showing her compassionate side that she hid behind all the snark, even back in the high school years.

Puppet
Puppet
There's even a noticeable difference between Pilot-Cordy and Out of Mind-Cordy :)
Reactions: Leo

Cangel1987

♥ Cangel ♥ Spuffy ♥
Unfortunately, when I was younger and still in school, I have to admit that I was not exactly thrilled with her.

Over time I would be more and more fascinated. But her development started already in Sunnydale - a few approaches were already recognizable. But she could hide it really well.

And as the years passed, she got to be my absolute favorite.

Top Bottom