1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Cordy-Spike error in In the Dark?

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by Buffy Summers, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    This thread was originally posted by Mr Trick, but the posts disappeared when they moved our server.

Cordelia saw Spike in Halloween I believe - I think she's there for the Spike-Buffy fight at the end.

You tell them what's what Mr T! :D

2. VisionBoy

VisionBoy Scooby

Sineya
    There was also the fight against the Judge at the mall. Cordy and Spike were both there for that.

3. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    They definitely knew of each other, even if they had never really interacted before In the Dark.

4. Wildfly

Wildfly blue fire

Black Thorn
    Spike said:
    “Cordelia. You look smashing. Did you lose weight?”
    which is a bit off considering they never spoke/confronted each other and i think that's what the Storywonk guys meant (if i remember correctly that podcast.)
    Spike getting chummy with Cordy is in character, and it's probable he'd recognize her as a girl who was hanging out in the slayer's band but remembering her name?
    if he would say something like that to Willow while meeting her accidentally in LA, it'd make more sense, they had history. But Cordy? Spike never spoke with Cordy, never attacked her with a bottle :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    Taake likes this.
  5. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Wheelchair-bound Spike didn't get to go the mall. :(

But like @wildfly just said, its weirder that Spike acted like he knew Cordelia, knew her name even, when they never even interacted in Sunnydale.
    Cordelia knowing about Spike/what he looks like isn't that surprising since she knew about all the stories ('this whole big thing with an arm in a box' etc) involving him.

6. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

True, but couldn't that just be Spike's idea of being witty (all be it not his best attempt;))? I guess if they had at least two meetings in Sunnydale then that might be enough for him to pick up on such a thing? Besides I do just think it was an off the culf remark.

The name part? You may have something there;) Except didn't he arrange a meeting with Cordy and Doyle? In which case he might have picked up her name then? Otherwise since she was a regular Scooby and not a part of Angel's team, maybe if he did his background he would know her name.

7. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Nah, Spike said it before that when he'd just been fighting Angel. Spike also didn't know who Doyle was at that time.
    It's just one of those mistakes writers make- they forget some of their own history and which characters know who.

8. VisionBoy

VisionBoy Scooby

Sineya
    Oh right I mis-remembered. Pictured him and Dru looking wide eyed at each other and jumping to dodge the rocket launcher, but yes that was Angelus.

thetopher likes this.
  9. Joan the Vampire Slayer

Joan the Vampire Slayer Carpe Spuffy!

I think we're supposed to assume that at some point they had met - it's likely, anyway, with Sunnydale being so small, and Cordelia having the worst luck - it just happened off-screen?

10. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    No, Spike was left in his wheelchair back at the factory.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 4, 2016 ---
    I saw it as simply a tactic to end the fight. Then he threatened Angel and left. Of course, given Spike's occasional ADHD...

Samuel Reyes: Spike never struck me as having ADHD, he's just really impulsive
    Mr Trick and Wildfly like this.
  11. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

That's the thing is I think this is being consistent with Spike's character.

12. Samuel Reyes

Samuel Reyes Chilling in SunnyD

For a real life spin on their lack of interaction, James Marsters has said in many interviews that he spent the entirety of Buffy and Angel assuming Charisma Carpenter was like her character (a shallow cheerleader type), and having been a punk rocker in high school, wanted nothing to do with her. Add the fact that Charisma left when he joined both shows as a main cast member, and their chairs always being on opposite ends of the set (due to Cordelia constantly running away from Spike) and there was really no good reason for them to talk. When they reunited on an episode of Supernatural, James finally got to know Charisma and realized she was a sweet, funny, humble person, nothing like her character, and was ashamed over having felt the way he did about her.

Mr Trick likes this.
  13. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Well that is interesting to know. I mean he must had his reasons for believeing that about her, otherwise that is very judgemental. Maybe she started out a bit shallow and then matured over time, who knows.

14. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

All of this might be explained away simply by pointing out that we're talking about the single greatest stalker in the Buffyverse here. It would stand to reason, even if it were never actually shown, that Spike would have wanted to know as much about his prey, Slayer Number 3, as possible, including who her friends and acquaintances were. That would have had to include Cordelia, so he would have been familiar with her from that, even if he didn't ever actually talk to her.

15. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Good point and very possible:) I just don't see why its so far fatched than if he had been in the same place as Cordy at least twice than he would not remember her or put two and two together;)

16. white avenger

That's the fun of trying to make sense and give a plausible explanation for what was obviously a writer screw up. As long as it stays within the boundaries of what a character could or could, would or wouldn't, do, just let your imagination run wild. Your guess is as good as anyone else's.

Wildfly and Mr Trick like this.
  17. Wildfly

Wildfly blue fire

Black Thorn
    The dusted guys also complain about the scene when the gem appears in LA.

In the same episode, in comes Oz and produces a ring.
    And Doyle and Angel immediately recognize it as the gem of Amarra.
    Doyle says: 'It's what i think it is?'
    And Angel says 'It's the gem of Amarra.'

So were they warned by Buffy about the incoming package from SunnyD, and if yes, why the surprise, and if not, how the heck they recognised it immediately when Giles thought it's a legend and even Spike, who researched and found it it had no idea what it looks like?

bespangeled likes this.
  18. white avenger

It's possible that Doyle knew about the Gem beforehand, since we know little about his past prior to contacting Angel in Los Angeles. The fact that Angel would immediately recognize it almost certainly is because Buffy or some of the gang called ahead and told him about it (Maybe Oz needed directions as to how to find Angel. L A is a big city, after all, and I can't see him having much, if any, more information about the actual thing and how it looked than Spike did. Probably even less, since Spike almost certainly did some research or talked to some people about it, and its location, before he even came to Sunnydale.

Wildfly likes this.
  19. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    I never noticed that Cordy and Spike didn't even meet each other until season 1 of Angel.

I think this is partly because of main cast members casting:

*Cordy leaves Buffy after 3 seasons, Spike joins the main cast in season 4.

*Cordy is in a coma (and dies) in seasons 4-5 of Angel, Spike joined the main cast in season 5.

Since he didn't get the chance to have a scene with her, I can understand his reasons for thinking that.

At least he got the chance to know her in Supernatural .

While Spike definitely displays some traits, I wouldn't consider him ADHD because his is occasional (something that ADHD is not).

The only Buffyverse character who ever seemed to me like she has ADHD is Faith...

thetopher: Hyper-slayer!
    Samuel Reyes and thetopher like this.
  20. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    Spike may have found out about Cordelia when he was staying with Harmony. Harmony was never one to keep her mouth shut and there was so little in her life that Cordelia would have come up as a subject of conversation.