• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

"Cordy, Were We In Love?"

white avenger

white avenger
The last two lines of dialog in Season 4, Episode 10, "Spin The Bottle." (disregarding Lorne's narrative)

Angel: Cordy, were we in love?

Cordy: We were.

So, was this actually the truth, was it just Cordy's memories of her feelings for Angel, not necessarily reciprocated, or was it part of Jasmine's plot? Or maybe a combination of either two, or all three?

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
It was heartbreaking, is what it is :'(

This was the last episode I watched, and at this stage, I believe that they are Cordys memories but she does not feel the love for the reasons stated (seeing Angelus past).

But knowing what is to come - I hope it is all part of Jasmines plot. I have always had a hard time trying to wrap my head around what was Jasmine influenced.

In saying that, I am glad they never developed a serious romantic relationship.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
The last two lines of dialog in Season 4, Episode 10, "Spin The Bottle." (disregarding Lorne's narrative)

Angel: Cordy, were we in love?

Cordy: We were.

So, was this actually the truth, was it just Cordy's memories of her feelings for Angel, not necessarily reciprocated, or was it part of Jasmine's plot? Or maybe a combination of either two, or all three?
I know this is an old thread, but I too wonder the same thing recently. I have some trouble pinpointing what in Season 4 is Cordy and what is Evil Cordy. Was it all Evil Cordy? When she says she was in love with Angel is she talking about Cordy or Evil Cordy?

The only thing I can think of is that it would be an advantage for Evil Cordy for Angel to think there was something between them because it would maybe cause him to protect her, or make it harder for him to kill her when he found out she was the vessel? But if that is the case then why tell him she can't love him because of the Angelus stuff? And then why does she go to Angel's room to give him a pep talk after the Connor/Cordy boinkathon and tell him that he needs to get it together and this is all bigger than them. Why would Jasmine want Angel focused on fighting the beast? Isn't it better to let him wallow in self pity and jealousy or whatever he is feeling? So confusing.

BeebeKnox
BeebeKnox
Because he never really loved Cordy to begin with. He never once told her that he loved her.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
I don't think it was Cordy. Cordy would never reject Angel because of what he did when he was Angelus. Their relationship was passed that. To me, when Cordy came back she was never herself.

white avenger

white avenger
She rejected him in the previous seasons.
Rejected? Or was it just her way of saying, "No, you don't. But thanks for saying it"? Maybe she was just trying to make it easier for Angel to stay focused on who she felt he was still carrying a torch for, Kinda like another vampire telling a Slayer the same thing.

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
Then why did she rush off to the bluffs as soon as she realized she was in love with him? Why did she act in YW as though fate caused them to miss their moment?

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
Rejected? Or was it just her way of saying, "No, you don't. But thanks for saying it"? Maybe she was just trying to make it easier for Angel to stay focused on who she felt he was still carrying a torch for, Kinda like another vampire telling a Slayer the same thing.
Cordy was terrified by Angelus and was against Angel dating in the previous seasons, so why all of a sudden make her interested him again???

NeonSlayer

Potential
Cordelia was tricked into infusing herself with DNA that would cause her to be half the species Jasmine was (so her body would be durable enough for months of possession by a PTB) then tricked into going to the dimension Jasmine was hiding in. Once trapped there, Jasmine possessed Cordelia. The PTB or universe put a fail-safe to prevent Jasmine's reign by giving Cordelia's body amnesia. Cordelia & Jasmine were memoryless. When the spell was done to bring forth Cordelia's memories it undid the fail-safe and it was once again Jasmine in control of the body and Cordelia in the back forcibly along for the ride (not unlike Illyria-Fred). From the end of Spin the Bottle to the birth, it was Jasmine. She was the one who seduced & slept with Connor in order to get pregnant with a more durable body. She was only planning on being in Cordelia's body long enough to use it to create a better one. She was basically an incubator.

AtS s1, 3 & 4: pregnancy = death
AtS s4 & 5: shares body with godlike female entity

white avenger

white avenger
Cordy was terrified by Angelus and was against Angel dating in the previous seasons, so why all of a sudden make her interested him again???
Maybe by that point Cordy was beginning to actually have feelings for Angel that she thought might go beyond simple friendship. Being Connor's pseudo mother for awhile might have subconsciously opened her to the idea. The mommy/baby/daddy type thing has caused something like that more than once in real life. Having seen first hand what the possible results of a serious relationship with Angel could cause back in Sunnydale might have served as a deterrent at first, but she might have had time to change her mind and consider it worth the risk, especially if she convinced herself that Angel's only "true happiness girl" was Buffy.

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
If anyone was Connor's pseudo mom it was Fred.

FaithLehane16

Maybe by that point Cordy was beginning to actually have feelings for Angel that she thought might go beyond simple friendship. Being Connor's pseudo mother for awhile might have subconsciously opened her to the idea. The mommy/baby/daddy type thing has caused something like that more than once in real life. Having seen first hand what the possible results of a serious relationship with Angel could cause back in Sunnydale might have served as a deterrent at first, but she might have had time to change her mind and consider it worth the risk, especially if she convinced herself that Angel's only "true happiness girl" was Buffy.
I do not believe in your opinion.

white avenger

white avenger
I do not believe in your opinion.
That's why I presented it in the way that I did. The key word there is "maybe." Since Joss has never offered any sort of canon explanation for thee situation in question, your guess is just as good as mine, but it still remains, for all intents and purposes, mere theory and gut feelings, based on personal preferences.

FaithLehane16

That's why I presented it in the way that I did. The key word there is "maybe." Since Joss has never offered any sort of canon explanation for thee situation in question, your guess is just as good as mine, but it still remains, for all intents and purposes, mere theory and gut feelings, based on personal preferences.
Still don't believe in it.

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
I just kind of half watched Tomorrow and noticed that Cordelia has a vision of herself talking. It is this vision of herself that convinces her that she possibly has feelings for Angel. I wonder if this could have been a vision from a source different to TPTB. From We know from That Vision Thing that it is certainly possible for Cordelia's vision to be intercepted. In fact, all of her visions are up for debate... Perhaps quite a few of them were Jasmine charged in order to lead the fang gang down the right path to a Jasmine run world.

BeebeKnox
BeebeKnox
Angel never once told cordy that he loved her. It was all of cordy doing the i love yous

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I don't think the creators deserve benefit of doubt regarding season 4. Odds are, they either weren't sure or changed their mind latter. The most charitable, Jasmine was trying to manipulate Angel.

W

WillowFromBuffy

I just kind of half watched Tomorrow and noticed that Cordelia has a vision of herself talking. It is this vision of herself that convinces her that she possibly has feelings for Angel. I wonder if this could have been a vision from a source different to TPTB. From We know from That Vision Thing that it is certainly possible for Cordelia's vision to be intercepted. In fact, all of her visions are up for debate... Perhaps quite a few of them were Jasmine charged in order to lead the fang gang down the right path to a Jasmine run world.
I think it was definitely Skip and Jasmine that made Cordelia see that. If not, we have to believe that the Powers that Be did it so that Cordelia would have something to give up, which seems odd.

Also, I think Cordelia's alternative universe in "Birthday" was more like a matrix simulation created by Skip than a true rewrite of history. From what we know of The Powers That Be, it seems very unlikely that they would rewrite history to save Cordelia's life, because they've never shown themselves to care at all for their pawns.

GreyWalker1958
GreyWalker1958
Case in point, Doyle when he sacrificed himself
Top Bottom