• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

"Cordy, Were We In Love?"

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I think if Angel has to ask if they were in love then they never were to begin with. Because I think both of them would have known if they were.
Except, that's not why he's asking. He knows how he feels, but the whole point of meeting at the bluffs was to find out how she feels. Then she disappears, then she returns with amnesia, so when she's finally herself again, he has waited so long and he just has to know; was it as real for her as it is for him.

BeebeKnox
BeebeKnox
I still don't get it. Because to me if he was in love with her then he would have told her. Like he did with Buffy. Not just act like it but let her know. She was the one who kept on telling him that she loved him. Why couldn't he do the same.

BeebeKnox

Townie
Except, that's not why he's asking. He knows how he feels, but the whole point of meeting at the bluffs was to find out how she feels. Then she disappears, then she returns with amnesia, so when she's finally herself again, he has waited so long and he just has to know; was it as real for her as it is for him.
I don't think she was herself!

It's a bit difficult to say for sure what Angel was feeling about Cordy. We can definitely see that he loved her dearly, but he didn't get much of a chance to explore the extent of those emotions as they were potentially developing into something more, and as a result neither did we. Though I would argue that the chain of events and the perfect moment of happiness that his subconscious created for himself in Awakening indicate the presence of a deeper sentiment.

Cordelia, on the other hand, stated quite clearly that she was in love with him in Tomorrow and also almost told that out loud to Angel in You're Welcome.

Regarding the scene in question, Angel asking it to Cordelia is a parallel to the earlier moment when she, without any memories, asked him that. He couldn't answer for her when she wondered about their relationship since she never clearly declared it to him. But once she got her memories back, he wished to finally know how the conversation they never had would have gone. While uncertainty about his own emotions may have had a role in this, I view his question as more of a Were you in love with me? Were we on the same page? than a lack of self-awareness on his part. Kind of like Spike asking Buffy Were you there with me? in End of Days. It's all in the viewer's interpretation, but that's my take on it. Their dynamic has at its core a big what if and it never had its time to shine, or fizzle out, so untangling its meaning can be tricky. But regardless of how one perceives the nature of their love for each other, their bond remains a truly special, powerful, and profound one.

thrasherpix

Scooby
It also occurs to me that it's an "unreliable narrator" situation because of Jasmine. Jasmine knew Angel was almost out of the picture which is why she rushed it with the "mirror vision" of "Cordy's reflection" convincing her she's in love with Angel and then sending her to him, but interrupting it before she got there (though Jasmine might ideally want to take it a little further first, Connor was cutting that plan short, and she had to protect Connor as well). Only then could she make a choice of self-sacrifice.

While Cordy had to choose of her own free will to abandon her "true love" to serve the Higher Powers, there could easily be a loophole that Cordy only temporarily think she's in love. It wouldn't even require a spell, especially not with Jasmine (known to evoke love in others) having a backdoor into her brain: just tap that lust Cordy displayed for Angel in Buffy ("hello, salty goodness") and combine it with her genuine platonic love, and with some fast talk manipulation from the "mirror" Cordy convinced herself she was in love and Jasmine could then speed up the process as she had to do to make this work perfectly.

I honestly don't know what to make of Cordelia's feelings to Angel. I don't think the character of Cordelia could either with Jasmine in her head/soul.

But one thing I'm certain Cordy wouldn't do is change herself to make herself more attractive to Angel, like color herself blonde (as Angel definitely had that as a type) as she wouldn't want to feel like Buffy's leftovers (and has too much pride). While she might accept that Buffy would be Angel's first choice, it's obvious they can't be together, and Cordelia would still be herself, and if in love, would attract him by her own merit, not Buffy's. It's my fanon, but I do see that as Jasmine subconsciously altering Cordelia's behavior (and Cordy may have convinced herself she went blonde as it was the "LA thing to do" while Jasmine silently chuckled to herself that all is going as planned).

"Were we in love?"

I'll never know.

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
I believe they were in love, yes. It's a shame they never got to really explore that. I think they were a great match.

Priceless
Priceless
Completely agree
BeebeKnox
BeebeKnox
I never thought that they were. They would make it either. Apparently he wasn't that much in love with her. In his dream he called out Buffy while having sex with her.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Something tells me Angel was never in love with Cordy in the first place...his eyes are still on a certain pouty petite blonde.

Top Bottom